Tube Amp for Klipsch Cornwalls - Fisher receiver or something else?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Chiliarches, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I’ve not tried a second SS amp and I will at some point. I think the maximum watt rating for the Cornwall is somthing around 130. That might have something to do with it. Less about the type of power and more about the amount.

RDriftwood and Jimi Floyd like this.
  2. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

My best buddy has Cornwalls, and he's been using very many different amps lately, and those ladies always sound good to me!

Dennis0675 likes this.
  3. RDriftwood

RDriftwood Vintage Member

I doubt it. I purchased some new Tannoy System 8 speakers/monitors back in the '90s. At that time, I was steered toward buying a new Hafler P230 (mosfet - 230 watts) to drive them - as it was supposed to be the latest and greatest amp. That amp has always sounded extremely cold, harsh, and sterile to me. I've never liked it. I haven't used it for years and only keep it around as a spare.

The Tannoy/Hafler system sounded bad to me from the beginning but my resources were limited for experimentation at that time. Later, I picked up some old Heathkit tube monoblocks, W4-AM Williamson type amplifiers (locally and cheap) took them to my tech for recaps and restoration, and put some quality NOS tubes in them. When I replaced the P230 with the Heathkit W4-AM driving the Tannoys, the improvement in sound quality almost blew me down. It sounds so incredibly great that I'm reluctant to mess with that system now.

[​IMG]

The old Heathkit W4-AM monoblocks (with the fabled Williamson type amp design) just after arriving home from the tech years ago. I would feel really bad if something happened to these amps. The big beautiful Hafler P230, not so much.

Kyhl, sberger, Dennis0675 and 2 others like this.
  4. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

Tannoys. Different animals...

SandAndGlass and RDriftwood like this.
  5. RDriftwood

That's true, but I still prefer the sound of tubes somewhere in the signal chain of my various systems. Tubes and solid state gear both have their merits - advantages/disadvantages. I believe either or both can be great. I especially like a combination of both at the same time. A tube amp system for mid-range, combined with a separate solid state system for lows and highs, with both systems playing simultaneously, seems to sound the best to me.

Tweak the independent tube amp system to sound it's best by itself, then tweak the independent solid state amp system to sound it's best by itself, then turn both on and balance the volume levels between the two systems - using the same source for both (obviously). I do that with all three of my sound systems in different parts of the house. In other words, each of my three sound systems is made up of multiple amps (tube and solid state) with multiple speaker systems. (Seven individual amp and speaker systems divided up into three groups.) They all sound great to me running tube and solid state systems at the same time.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    Dennis0675 and SandAndGlass like this.
  6. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Even though I have some moderately powerful amplifier's, most of the legacy Altec and legacy Klipsch speakers, could not be run with anything even approaching 50-Watts continuous power inside of a room of moderate dimensions, that is without incurring hearing damage, if listened to at these dB levels for longer time periods.

A good tube 36-Watt amplifier is all that would ever be required to operate Cornwall's at fairly high volume levels.

Kyhl, Dennis0675 and RDriftwood like this.
  7. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I like what you have to say. :)

Dennis0675 and RDriftwood like this.
  8. RDriftwood

SandAndGlass, Ntotrar and Dennis0675 like this.
  9. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

You can use any size amp with a Cornwall as long as your careful. I've used a 350 watt Crown amp, and the result was great dynamics, huge bass, and that was with the volume low. I find more power works really well with efficient speakers at low levels.

RDriftwood and Dennis0675 like this.
  10. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Gorgeous! I had W-5, w-7's, and UA-1's(I regret selling those big time) and loved them all. But always wanted a pair of W-4's. Those, as I understand it, were really the sweet spot of the Williamson Heaths. Quite rare also. Would love to hear a pair on Cornies.

RDriftwood likes this.
  11. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

[​IMG]

It’s a shoot out today. Advantage kx-200

SandAndGlass, IanL, Ntotrar and 2 others like this.
  12. beavis

beavis Forum Resident

How about a nice McIntosh MC 225......yummy with Klipsch Heritage speakers.

Ntotrar and RDriftwood like this.
  13. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

[​IMG]

As we are posting pictures; for your consideration the Line Magnetic LM-211Ia. 15 or 32 watts at the flip of a switch.

SandAndGlass, IanL, Kyhl and 5 others like this.
  14. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I assume the "new" KX-200 has been serviced already?

Ntotrar, Dennis0675 and RDriftwood like this.
  15. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

That was the claim when I bought it.

RDriftwood likes this.
  16. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I love it!

RDriftwood likes this.
  17. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Me too, then again your Fischers are more collectible. And vintage and and and... Want to trade??? Tough choice.

18. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Not to mention your vertical horn Cornwalls are clearly different.

19. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Oh I’ve looked at LM....a lot. I’ve got less money in both those fishers. Before I drop that much money in a LM I’d get a pair of mc30’s. Meaning, I’ll get a LM I’d just like a pair of mono blocks next.

Hell, the only reason I ever got the cornwalls was to hear what that fisher could do. It was about the smartest thing I’ve ever done.

20. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

And it came with these

[​IMG]

RDriftwood, Kyhl, sberger and 2 others like this.
  21. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I’d be very interested to hear how they sound different from normal ones. Bringing home a second set would be trouble

22. paul cbc

paul cbc Senior Member

Agreed on the X-100. A Nifty little amp!!
    Agreed on it playing much louder than the 14wpc would suggest.

Been several years, but love it too!
    Mine looks like this one-a slightly later version?

The Fisher X-100 integrated amp.

I think the tube rectification helps.
    If you are looking for an integrated amp sans tuner, this is a solid choice.

Paul

RDriftwood, Dennis0675 and Ntotrar like this.
  23. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

So we rent a suitable place (half way?) for a weekend and haul all this junk there and have a (listening) party...

And I know I will end up with Macs before the end...

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  24. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I’ve been known to rent a cabin in Gatlinburg and bring a truckload of stereo equipment. Never cornwalls but heresy’s have happened.

25. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Yeah, that one is probably from the very early '60s. Mine is the earliest version from '59, with the brass faceplate and script "Stereophonic" on the upper right.

Later versions simplified the stereo switching options and eliminated the tube rectifier and phono trim pots.

Another aspect of the X-100 that I like is its much smaller footprint vs. the Fisher receivers. With fewer tubes, it also gives off a lot less heat.

In this shot, you can better see its relative size:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.