Tube Amp for Klipsch Cornwalls - Fisher receiver or something else?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Chiliarches, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

For others reading these older posts.

A rebuilt Fisher 400/500B/800B with Russian K40Y-9 are amazing if you can find a rebuilder to use K40Y-9 coupling capacitors. Not perfect sound, but most musical involving sound with the K40Y-9 mods. The factory stock Fisher sound is not so good, Scott 340/345 are better sounding in factory stock if a little boring.

Modified, the Fishers wins over the Scotts. You will have $600 for rebuild & $600 in the Fisher itself. As for Bob Latino ST-70 & ST-120, forget it. They sound like solid-state and use a poor sounding 12AU7 tube. I had two come across my bench with dissatisfied customers and could not improve the sound much. The upgraded Fisher blew the ST-120 away per my customer. In another post under Klipsch Belle speakers another person mentioned the same about Bob Latino ST-120 as I.

The Yaqin MC-100B is a good sounding amplifier. None located in USA, but on ebay it is $699 + $100 shipping. Change the 6SN7s from Chinese to Sylvania 6SN7GTA & the Chinese 12AX7s to RCA 12AX7 black plate tubes for a great sounding tube amplifier. You will be under $1000 including upgrade tubes with an amp that does not need service & the amp produces 60 watts per channel. However, you will need a separate phono amp with the Yaqin.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  2. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I have a Line Magnetic 211ia and Cornwall II and experience no unwanted noise.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  3. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

That is TOTAL BS!

I have recently taken the Five out of the loop, because I purchased a Audio Note Kit that is EL34 based.

Prior to that, I would have to say, that the Five, was my current favorite among all the tube amps that I own, which is about ten.

I have one modern amp and one vintage amp, that I can't use with the A7's due to hum, all others are acceptable for use.

The Five was completely quiet with the A7's, which are 103-dB efficient.

I'll put my money where my mouth is. If you buy this amp and you are in any way less than satisfied. Post it in the Equipment For Sale thread and I will buy it for a flat $1,000 (which includes PP fees and shipping.

SandAndGlass said that!

billnunan likes this.
  4. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I was noticing from a post in the Photos of Your Equipment Room thread, that was posted a few days back, that one poster has a Five in his system, along with a PL preamp.

[​IMG]

The poster is @matteos, perhaps he can speak about how quiet of noisy his Five is in his system.

5. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I have Cornwalls with the PrimaLuna ProLogue Three preamp and ProLogue Six monoblock power amps. When idling I can't tell my system is even turned on. I like the Genalex Gold Lion KT77s in the Sixes.

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.