Tube integrated

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Springtime, Mar 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Springtime

Springtime Member Thread Starter

I am starting with the dealers I can visit without to much travelling, that will involve the Ayon spirit V, Primaluna evo 400, Ear Yoshino and Icon Audio, time will tell, Thankyou very much for your suggestions, I’ve learned a lot. Regards.

Richard Austen and jupiterboy like this.
  2. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

As you are in the UK it would nto be a bad idea to check out the new Audio Note Cobra integrated amp. It may be more affordable where you are.

[​IMG]

Andy Saunders likes this.
  3. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Don't forget Croft Acoustics in the U.K. Their hybrid Series 7 R puts out about 75 watts @ 4 ohms. I've heard a lot of good things about them ... very reasonably priced and made in the U.K. as well if I recall correctly.

jupiterboy likes this.
  4. Springtime

Thanks purplerocks, not a company I am familiar with, I have had a good look at their web site, the SV 700 has caught my attention. Cheers.

moops and displayname like this.
  5. Springtime

Which tubes did you upgrade to from the Chinese set, the sv700 has become a firm favourite, I just cannot get to listen just yet here in the U.K. all dealers are shut down due to Corvid 19. Cheers.

6. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Another vote for Icon Audio.
    I have the latest Stereo 40 and I love it.

7. LakeMountain

LakeMountain Vinyl surfer

The SV 700 has relatively common tubes, 1x 6Z4, 2x 12AX7, 4x 12AU7. There should be plenty of tube rolling options. I had mine changed by my dealer (I could not unscrew all screws from the top cover without fear of damaging it). He got a NOS Siemens stock. I don’t know if these are optimum, but I am very happy with them.

Let us know please, if you go for it eventually and what you think about it, also if you are testing different types/brands. It is always exciting to go for a new amp but in these unfortunate times we need to be patient :cry:.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  8. Beatles4503

Beatles4503 Senior Member

Love my Finale Audio F-168R Signature with Hashimoto transformers. Tubes are 6BM8 and offers around 10 WPC. Have my 1990 Klipsch Chorus II's with Crites upgrades conected to the 4 ohm taps and it sounds excellent.

9. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Best tube integrated I've ever heard is the Esoteric A-100 -it's a bit of an ugly thing and the tubes are hidden but the sound.....wow.

10. DryWhiteToast

DryWhiteToast Where's my Ativan

Did you get one OP?
    I am starting to research your subject.
    Really liking what I see from PrimaLuna

11. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I tried an Icon Audio Stereo 30 integrated as an “upgrade” from my PrimaLuna. While it did some things better, it was far from a slam dunk, and build quality wasn’t even close. I ultimately returned it.

I’ll be keeping my PL for many years, I think.

12. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

I auditioned the Cobra last Friday on new Rogers LS-3/5a speakers and it has been the first time I really liked LS-3/5a speakers. Very impressed with EL34 too which doesn't always happen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Has Remote and DAC on board for £3,400 ($4,000US) I enjoyed that audition. Autobias and class A. 3 analog and 3 digital inputs.
    Double C-Core transformers (as opposed to Ei transformers) and 4 x EL34 , 2 x 6AU6 , 2 x 5670 tubes

13. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

In my limited experience, Single Ended Triode amps have the attractive "tube sound", more than push pull tube amps. But they are notoriously low wattage, and need very efficient speakers, for substantial volume levels. Not sure if 91dB is enough.

displayname likes this.
  14. Varinder

Varinder New Member

Hi Richard .. I have just got Audionote ANJ LX spkr currently pairing with First watt 7 .. there are two OTO se signature and SORO se integrated on sale in India.. but I am not sure if moving towards OTO or SORO will be an upgrade from First watt ...what’s your take on it ..Second how do OTO SORO and Cobra differ in sound signature .. pls help me in choosing the amp as in India there is only one Audionote showroom but it’s quite far and users of the products are very few

15. Jimmy Mac

Jimmy Mac Zooropa... better by design

Me too...doubt I would ever go back to anything else.

16. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

The Kanta 2's dip down to 3ohms and honestly aren't the "ideal" speaker to drive with tubes. I think the Raven recommendations are good, especially if you can push up to the higher end of their integrated offerings. In an ideal world I'd be driving the Kanta 2's with a medium to higher wattage Class A SS integrated like the Pass INT-60. That would be a great pairing with your speakers.

17. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

Vintage Scott or Fisher tube integrated are awesome

JJ Cahill likes this.
  18. mcbrion

mcbrion Forum Resident

Your budget should allow for some very good tube amps. Have you looked into an Audio Research integrated amplifier or are they hard to find over there to audition? I have one and it's top of the heap in transparency, tonal quality, midrange and stellar high frequencies as well as low frequencies, and they work quite well with 4 ohm loads. The midrange can, of course, compete with almost anything out there.

Right now, I'd imagine it'll be hard to do much auditioning, though. Both our countries are having a rough time.

19. NapaBob

NapaBob Forum Resident

I now have a Cobra powering my Audio Note K speakers - it is a lovely combination. I am very impressed with the onboard DAC, which if I understand correctly, was designed just for the Cobra. For an integrated with digital inputs, this is quite the deal.

Whistle likes this.
  20. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

...you can see that a tube amp will change their response vaguely like the impedance curve. You might like that, you might not. And tube amps vary way more than solid state methinks as not just the tubes but especially the transformers are tricky to design well. Rule #1 of tube amp buying: reasonable return policy including at least like a week or two of trial listening. Listened at Upscale Audio to Focal 936 driven by PrimaLuna separates, very lovely. Did not compare directly to solid state amplification...should have! Didn't think of it. I'm not an expert but for tubes I like PrimaLuna, Audio Research, and I'm a sucker for McIntosh and those blue lights. Solid state I wish I could afford Bryston, seems so well designed.

21. Zoroastra

Zoroastra Forum Resident

I use an Ayon Spitfire Integrated, 30 watts single-ended Class A triode design (set by factory for my 4 ohm speakers which are 90db/Watt Thrax Lyra, and sounds plenty loud enough for me with jazz and classical (the room is big too), not for head banging though. It is a lot more expensive too.

22. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

I've owned 2 tube amps and think they were great with rock-why wouldn't they be? Especially if Class A.

23. DryWhiteToast

DryWhiteToast Where's my Ativan

I think, because most rock of heavy metal music needs solid bass and tube amps can sometimes lack that.
    You have heard of this phenomenon no?

tlowe and trd like this.
  24. Slack

Slack Forum Resident

Those are quite tube amp hostile speakers.Under 3 0hms at 100 hz is pretty nasty.I just do not understand why speaker designers make speakers like that.It is just stupid because it really restricts what amplifiers you can use.

25. tlowe

tlowe Life Explorer

I have just got my first tube amp, Line Magnetic LM-508IA, not too long ago. Pairing with SF Minima Amator II, I also feel that tube amp has a weakness in playing rock n metal music, not to mention the speakers are not a good setup for these music genre as well. Nevertheless, the Luxman 550 plays better with the same speakers compared to the tube amp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.