Tube pre amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by zboski, Aug 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zboski

zboski Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am looking for an inexpensive tube pre amp. I finally started upgrading my system with an ortofon 2m cartridge. I have at-lp 120 turntable and a pioneer vsx-lx102 with Boston acoustic vr40s (which I love!). I really want a solid preamp to really add that much-needed warmth. I don't want to go crazy since my other stuff is entry level. In going crazy reading about different tubes and the internal components. It seems like everything is either none quality Chinese or too expensive. I have read good reviews on some of the entry level Chinese models. I'm open to buying better tubes too. I trust you all much more! Help please and thank you!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  2. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

What's your budget?

zboski likes this.
  3. zboski

That's a good question. I'm trying to be flexible. I was trying to keep it around $300. If that won't work ill have to wait. I'm Thankful for any input.

4. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Personally I would say wait save money and build your budget up to at least $1000-1200 to find a used tube preamp that will really make a difference.

nm_west, G E, TarnishedEars and 8 others like this.
  5. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Stick with solid state. If you have a Red or Blue model cartridge, I suggest replacing that with a Bronze first. That will go a long way to smoothing out the sound.
    -Bill

saturdayboy, benny, Ctiger2 and 2 others like this.
  6. StimpyWan

StimpyWan Forum Resident

There's the Schiit Saga tube preamp in your price range. Remote controlled, with 5 inputs and 2 variable outputs. Relay volume too, which is nice. But, you'll hear relay clicks, as you change levels. I have one, and it sounds great. It responds well to tube rolling. Though, it's tube corporations are subtle (which is good IMO). There's an original 1st generation model for sale on Schiit's B-Stock page, under your budget. Well worth a look.

hman, 33na3rd, TarnishedEars and 2 others like this.
  7. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

Schiit is where I would look. I can’t speak for the Saga+, but have heard the Saga S and currently am using an original Freya in my system. I wouldn’t hesitate to grab that B-stock, that’s how I purchased my Freya and the Saga S.

8. zboski

Thank you so much! I'm looking into these now. I really like that they are made in CA. The review seem on point. Does it only have one tube? I was getting discouraged since I can't drop 1k.

9. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Just to be sure (because you mentioned your vinyl setup in OP), are you looking for a preamp or a phonostage ?

E.Baba likes this.
  10. zboski

Should i try for a schiit unit with multiple tubes?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  11. zboski

I'm not sure what you mean. I'm looking to tighten up system. I've been told I need tubes to warm up the sound in my system but not really any suggestions of what unit or tubes to get. I was told I need a pre amp

12. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

I think the Freya+ is the only preamp they offer that uses multiple tube and isn’t a headphone amp. They do appear to have an original Freya as C-Stock (whatever that means) which is what I have and do enjoy. All of that said, are you sure the Pioneer will allow for a separate preamp? It doesn’t appear to me that it does...

13. boyhitscar

boyhitscar Well-Known Member

you should probably figure out if youre looking for a pre amp or an external phono stage / “phono pre amp”. i’d guess the advice you received was for the latter (which would be my advice as well).

bever70 and zboski like this.
  14. zboski

Yes I want a phono pre amp for sure

15. zboski

Wait I thought I just had to plug it into a different input not the phono. Is it possible that I can't?

16. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

17. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram

This is only my 2 cents so for what it is worth but...I kindly suggest that you learn all of the definitions of preamp, phono preamp, phono stage, etc before you purchase just to be sure you (and we) know what you are really needing. It also may help for you to post the brands and their model numbers of each piece of electronics gear you are using so we can be sure to suggest the right options for you. Just MHO. Good luck to you.

E.Baba, james, bever70 and 2 others like this.
  18. Jeffreylee

Jeffreylee Rock 'n' Roll Typist

Your overall advice is spot on. The OP did, however, list the model numbers for all of his current gear.

19. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I'd second okc_craft's recommendation for the Project Tube Box DS, it seems to be a solid performer. Your speakers seem fine, but wondering about the need for the AVR. Do you use the surround channels? If not and you want to concentrate on stereo, start planning to get a quality stereo integrated amp to replace the AVR. Altho it may be hard to find a good integrated amp that doesn't include a phono input ...

HUH! if you only have need for two analog inputs (with the Tube Box DS going into one of them) maybe DENON PM-A150H 2-Ch x 70 Watts Integrated Amplifier w/ Built-in DAC would be of interest.

Another idea is to not get tubes, but simply a better stereo integrated amp with phono stage. Marantz (and their stablemate, Denon) are I think well known for smooth sounding gear ... I would think any of these would be very nice sounding Integrated Amplifiers, Integrated Stereo Amps

Not that your Pioneer AVR is necessarily 'bad' but it was a $500 list AVR, spending similar money for a stereo integrated amp will focus on things you may value more.

In fact, Denon PMA-600NE Stereo integrated amplifier with built-in Bluetooth®, DAC and phono preamplifier at Crutchfield has an "Analog Mode" which turns off the digital sections ... not sure about the claim, but they say it 'preserves the warmth of your analog sources'. This MAY give you better sound than the more expensive Pioneer AVR ...

HEY, and both of these have dedicated Subwoofer outputs, which will allow easy addition of powered subwoofer if you so desire. I assume the Pioneer AVR has that too of course.

If you want to keep the Pioneer, get the Tube Box DS and plug its output into one of the LINE LEVEL inputs on the AVR, NOT the Phono input.

20. Jeffreylee

Jeffreylee Rock 'n' Roll Typist

It's a certainty that you can't. Your receiver is a preamp and amp inside one box, and you can't just add another preamp unless your receiver has a preamp out/amp in option. The Pioneer does not.

The easiest way to get tubes into your system is a tube phono stage, which can be connected via a line input on the Pioneer.

zboski likes this.
  21. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

A preamp can be different things, but if you indeed mean to say a phono pre than you can indeed use one with your current AV setup.
    Difference between Linestage and Preamp

Lowrider75 and zboski like this.
  22. zboski

Thank you! I was already confused by what specific pre amp to get. I was aiming to get one of the schiit’s listed above. Now I'm not sure if it is the wrong component all together.

23. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

To understand what you want.... You want to plug your Turntable into a box that will then plug into an aux input of the Pioneer that you currently own, instead of what I assume you are currently doing; plugging your turntable into the phono input on the back of the Pioneer that you currently own?

If this is an accurate account then you are asking for a phono preamp, and I would still suggest this.

24. zboski

Exactly

25. zboski

This looks like a great option. These have good reviews and adding the rca tubes is a nice bonus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.