Tube Rolling ANK DAC 2.1

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DyersEve726, Mar 7, 2020.

1. fully_articulated

fully_articulated Forum Resident

I should really have included a switch, but essentially yes. Two sets of RCA outs each running through their own output caps.

There's only a pair of Miflex caps installed at the moment, so one output is effectively dead. I bought some Mundorf Silver/Oils for the second, but haven't been bothered to solder them in.

2. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy Thread Starter

Finally got the tubes today. Just fired them up. As expected, currently sounding a bit thin and one dimensional. I expect they'll open up as the night wears on.

Little confused that one of them is a 1970 date. Description was 60s, but perhaps 1970 was the last year of production for this particular tube?

[​IMG]

3. DyersEve726

Watched TV for a bit while these played on another input. Turned back an hour later and got a noticeable bass boost and better dynamics than when I first got them goin. Still not as exciting as the Bugle Boys, but I hear some interesting characteristics that I like. I'm sure they'll continue to sound better as they break in.

4. DyersEve726

Oh my. Umphrey's McGee - Great American just came on shuffle and it is maybe the best I've ever heard that song. Incredible instrument separation. Next song that came on had background crickets and cars passing as it started. Realistic enough to give chills.

I do believe this was a worthy upgrade.

Vocals still sound a little pinched and overall lacking some sparkle. But, yeah, burn in. Sorry I'm excitable, lol.

Encore, IanL and JanJ like this.
  5. gov

gov Forum Resident

Keep em comin.

I’ve got a non kit 2.1x sig and grabbed some Holland 7308s so going to be rolling as soon as it all comes in.

will report findings too.

DyersEve726 likes this.
  6. DyersEve726

Jealous! What'd that set you back?

I'm loving these tubes.

They felt ripe enough, so I threw on my usual test album. Supertramp - Crime of the Century

Most haunting, emotional listen by a mile. The soundstage was massive and unified. Great holographic imagine. I love the way the mid lows got a boost. I can feel more of the thump in the bass guitar that I didn't realize I was missing.

Score another one for @fully_articulated. Thanks for the recommendation.

7. fully_articulated

fully_articulated Forum Resident

At a guess, maybe Brent prioritises close matching of measurements over date. As long as the construction is the same it should be fine, one imagines.

Nice one! I hope you continue to like them.

I recall never really appreciating mono recordings until listening with the Siemens. They seemed to make the soundstage more expansive with those albums, whereas before it would appear small, as if looking through the wrong end of a telescope.

I wish I could marry the Siemens bass & holography with the top end & midrange openness of the Amperex!

8. DyersEve726

I actually can't agree with that, at least in my system. Just fired them up again and they continue to impress. There is absolutely nothing that these tubes don't do better than the Amperex, in my opinion. Everything just sounds right. Very good synergy with my system. It's crazy to think these still have several hours of burn in before they are at their best.

Encore likes this.
  9. DyersEve726

Well, I've been able to spend a good chunk of today listening. Verdict is in. These tubes are like discovering my DAC all over again. The difference is dramatic. I am in love with them. Best $250 I've spent in a long time. I haven't turned on my brand new Anthem MRX-520 since I got the tubes. I have a $1400 receiver that I haven't turned on more than twice because I'm so consumed, lol. I am so so very curious what a CCA sounds like......better file my taxes, lol.

Encore and jonwoody like this.
  10. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Well, if you're that happy with the sound of your current tubes, I would just forget about CCa if I were you. Value for money is horrible with those. The ones I had in my previous DAC I got for a VERY friendly price, and what they brought to the table with the system I had back then was really needed. Tubes are wear parts, and getting a spare set of the Siemens to future-proof your current sonic bliss may perhaps be a better way to spend your money?

DyersEve726 likes this.
  11. DyersEve726

When you're right, you're right.

Encore likes this.
  12. dogilv

dogilv Forum Resident

Since the tubes seem to be decided on, I though I would mention that the coupling caps are a lot of fun to roll in these DAC's.

One of my least favorite was the AN copper. I would look at Myflex, VCaps, Jupiter, and the ultimate would be AN Silver Foils.

A little off topic but I upgraded the IT Tranny's to Sowters which is a really nice bang for the buck upgrade... this one was on a ANK with the little toy IT's, which are a joke and one reason people give the Kits a hard time. The Sowters are big and manly like the AN UK's but a fraction of the price.

Encore and DyersEve726 like this.
  13. DyersEve726

Definitely will be looking to try different caps in the future. I assume you meant I/V transformers? I'm looking at their selection now. Which ones did you get?

14. dogilv

dogilv Forum Resident

15. DyersEve726

Woke up and turned on my DAC this morning and was only getting audio out of one channel.

One of my precious new tubes has just died out of nowhere :( so sad. Looks like a leak? Bugle Boys are back in for now. Waiting to hear from Brent Jessee on replacements.

[​IMG]

16. DyersEve726

And now I know how much I loved them. The Amperex sound...boring.

17. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

So sad to hear that :cry: Just emphasizes the need for a spare pair (or two) for when Brent Jessee also can't supply them anymore ;)

18. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Were you running the Amperex from day 1 in the ANK? Which is to say, what else did you try beyond them and the Seimens?

19. DyersEve726

Those are the only two NOS sets I've used. Previous to that, I used the JJ tubes that came with the kit, then Gold Lions, then these two NOS sets.

I'm hoping this won't be an ordeal. His first email back to me insinuates that it's my fault and I might not get a replacement since it's cracked at the base. I'm getting nervous here. I haven't had any issues getting tubes in and out and never use too much force, but that's what he's saying probably happened...

20. jmpsmash

jmpsmash Forum Resident

I tried Miflex KCPU. I am not liking it. After almost 300 hours burning in, the sound is still pretty dark compared to the AN tin foil. I am going to try the Jupiter next.

Which model number for the Sowter?

21. DyersEve726

Phwew. Brent read my response and said it was probably a flaw in the glass that caused it to crack after heating and cooling several times. He's replacing them. Of course, I may not get them for several weeks due to the corona virus. This blows, lol.

dogilv likes this.
  22. John Mee

John Mee Forum Resident

I replaced the standard coupling caps in my 2..1x Sig. with the AN silver caps and it was a definite improvement. Of course, when I swapped in the DAC5 Sig trannies, it took it to a whole new level. The downside is that it basically doubled the cost of the DAC. The upside is that a bunch of us who did this feel it outperformed the DAC3 for less money....

23. dogilv

dogilv Forum Resident

1465 DAC Interface Transformer

24. jmpsmash

jmpsmash Forum Resident

AFAIK, the original transformer is 1:1. Did you have to change the load resistors to match this 1:5 one?

25. jmpsmash

jmpsmash Forum Resident

I swapped back the AN tin foil tonight. I don't know how to accurately describe it. The Miflex seems to have more definition, yet, the AN tin foil brings back the clarity at the highs.

I will have to try the Jupiter next.

jenkovix likes this.