Turntable advice 2000$

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dahuky, Mar 20, 2023.

1. Dahuky

Dahuky Forum Resident Thread Starter

hi, looking to upgrade my TT.

currently use sony pshx500 -> sugden pa-4 phono -> sugden a21 int-amp -> flacon acoustics ls3\5a gold badge.

mostly listening to vocals\folk\jazz\ country.

been looking about some used and new rega's, since everyone is raving about these, but not sure they what i need.
    would thank for any advice of what to look for or any specific models.
    (i'm a TT noob, and idk what to look for and what makes a difference.)

Echoes Myron likes this.
  2. Dahuky

i see that on other threads the technics 1200gr was recommended.
    how does it compare with the regas?

3. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Search function is yo’ friend: :agree:

Rega Planar 6 vs Technics SL1200GR

FuzzyNightmares likes this.
  4. P3ESRXD

P3ESRXD Arnaud, still enjoying...with what I have

@Dahuky
    As new Sugden A21 user, I have in my future target PA-4 phono stage which may be my ultimate phono stage.

To do justice to this PA-4, I'll add Rega P8 (but your budget would be short for this TT at 2,490 Euros no cartridge in France), with Ania 3149 Euros
    (Platine vinyle Rega Planar 8 avec cellule Ania )
    Of course, this would be "not so convenient" TT but if nice sounding is the aim (mine anyway), I know only P8 users satisfaction, and their next TT
    would be only P10 (this one would be my last TT when I can afford it ;) ).

But ultimate TT can not exist:
    Moving on from a rega P10

so your next TT (or whatever component) can be "good enough" for a while, then two options, move on or enjoy what one has.

5. Dahuky

from what i read on that forum on others, i see like 90% of ppl prefer the technics over the reags, so ATM i lean more towards the 1200GR.

i can tell you that the a21 and the pa - 4 is a GREAT combo. although i only used it MM for now.
    by the way, what speakers do you use? p3's?

6. P3ESRXD

Harbeth, of course :
    one pair of P3 ESR XD and one pair of C7 ES3 XD quite complementary.

My prefered is P3 + A21.

For mass oriented TT here is one experience of very heavy granit working vibrations,
    go to 8:00 please

Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
    Joe from So Cal likes this.
  7. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

I just picked up a Sota Escape. Nice TT , I really like it. Mine has an Origin Live arm and Ortofon 2M Bronze.

nutsfortubes and 312elements like this.
  8. Dahuky

i read here: The Affordable Vinyl Project Part 4: Technics SL-1200GR Turntable Review – The Audio Beatnik
    that:
    Compared to the Clearaudio Compact with the same cartridge, the SL-1200GR has more drive and a faster leading edge. On the other hand, the Concept plays music with more finesse and has a slightly more delicate top-end. Female vocals were superb on the SL-1200GR, but male vocals had a touch too much bloom in the lower ranges of their voices.

My main issue with the sound of the SL-1200GR is with the bass. With either cartridge, it had a lower-midrange emphasis that sounded nice on some music, but I found it just a touch boomy on too many LPs. The deepest bass has a good leading edge and good slam, but it lacked in decay. This was not a huge problem, but because I had become accustomed to the Clearaudio Compact with the same Hana cartridge, it was noticeable.

do you agree? is that the "dj" sound signature? i mostly listen to vocals and folk, and my amp and speakers are aimed at producing realistic ones.

9. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Considering that you’re running LS3/5As, a little bit of bass boom might actually be welcome, yes? Unless you were planning to add a sub and/or your listening room is very small.

If you’re still concerned about it, the right cartridge and amp can keep things under control. You’re not using a tube amp, so that’s a plus there (not hating on tube amps, but they can ‘bloom’), and then for the cart, something with tight, accurate bass… Nagaoka instead of Hana, say (though for Hana I’m going by someone else’s commentary on how it tends to sound).

I wouldn’t over-obsess… you have a nice system with one significant weakness (the TT), and you’re about to experience a pretty big upgrade by addressing that.

So, don’t worry, be happy. :agree:

timind and Dubmart like this.
  10. P3ESRXD

Just an idea or more :
    - for long I was in the camp of heavy turntable, when I could I bought Transrotor Max the most expensive "heavy TT" I could afford.
    - enjoyed it for many years but not really happy with many carts that I wanted to discover, changing cartridges was easy with S800 tonearm of those days
    (as side note, the Max is now sold with Rega tonearm )
    - long history short, when Linn Sondek LP12 came and my music of same records became more musical with LP12 over Max with same other components
    - I tried the ProJect RP3 that I neglicted for so long with my prefered cartridges, not so bad as I fear
    - searching for more ("musical" as always), now I want to try light TT, with Rega P8 as first one
    - We are lucky to have choices and I think it's golden age of record listening with many nice turntables and cartridges new or second hand

- yes don't worry, be happy with whatever you buy and change when you want to

11. Holler Wanderer

Holler Wanderer Too much of everything is just enough

Go with the GR, you won't regret it!

12. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Strange, not my experience, could be issue from elsewhere.
    A GR has an excellent bas performance.

Another thought you might go for the 100C or MK7 and invest a good $300-$600 cartridge, with GR all your money is used.

13. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I would never say bass is “boomy” listening with my GR, and that is even with a 15” subwoofer (which, itself, is dialed in to not be boomy).

If the record you’re playing doesn’t have boomy bass on it, the GR isn’t going to add any. I listen to folk and folky-sounding music regularly, and it sounds natural and realistic to me, provided the record is mastered to sound that way.

Claude M and Slick Willie like this.
  14. 312elements

312elements Forum Resident

My opinion is that you’d likely be pleased with either turntable. I don’t think that you really can go wrong here. At the end of the day I think that the stylus has more effect on sound than the table once you get above a certain price point. I give a very slight edge to the Rega style table in sound quality while giving a larger edge to the technics in usability. If you value sound quality over everything else and enjoy the ritual of double checking tracking force and futzing with different cartridge alignments in search of audio nirvana go with the Rega. If you want something that’s bullet proof, sounds great, and requires very little post setup attention, go with the technics. I support anyone who says they have a strong opinion of one over the other, but most of the time, I’d just rather listen to the music and that’s easier with the technics and I never feel like I’m actually missing anything unless I’m doing side by side comparisons.

Fender Relic likes this.
  15. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

I researched a ton of tables in this price range for about a year. Auditioned the MoFi decks, bought and returned a Rega RP3 or w/e it's called now, had one of the ~$1k Pro-Jects and returned it before settling on the Technics SL1210GR. For my needs, I don't see myself changing my table for the remainder of my hi-fi journey. If you can find these on a decent deal I'd go that route.

Big Blue likes this.
  16. Dahuky

Whats a good price for the gr?
    I see several for sale online (no retailers in israel)

17. P3ESRXD

18. Dahuky

after doing some checkings, while the technics will cost me 1500 eur, i can get the planar 6 discounted in 1120 eur. quite a different.
    does that change the equation?

19. P3ESRXD

I fear that only you can answer this question.

Turntables are so different and the cartridge in use can turn the equation in either way.

Which cartridge do you plan to use ?
    I suggest Hana SL :righton:...for either one.

20. Dahuky

Maybe something else? Not technics or rega?

From recording i heard online i feel like the technics is kinda dead/boring no shine.
    (I know its hard to rely on, but no demo in israel.

21. mattsob1

mattsob1 I enjoy distortion

Not sure about availability in Israel, but I don't think Music Hall gets enough love. IMO, Music Hall makes some of the best bang for buck turntables. I'd be looking for a MMF 7.3 ish. Not sure if your budget includes a cartridge? If so, step it down to a MMF 5.3 with a Ortofon Bronze cartridge. My $0.02

Edit: Actually, it looks like you could get a MMF 7.3 with a Bronze cartridge for less than $2k. The 7.3 is better because of the speed control, plus the acrylic platter. I have a Music Hall MMF 9.3, prior to that I had a 5.3 for many years, obviously very happy with their tables.

Music Hall MMF-7.3 Turntable

Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
    BluTorch, NorthNY Mark and GyroSE like this.
  22. FuzzyNightmares

FuzzyNightmares Forum Resident

Do you plan on mounting your turntable on the wall? If no, do you have high quality isolation/floors that are not susceptible to heavy footfalls? If no, get the technics.

23. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

If I was buying new in the under $2000 price range (and I wouldn't since I prefer some of the vintage tables more, but just for fun), I'd probably buy the current Thorens TD-1500 from Europe. The retail price in the US is pretty absurd at $2999, but in Europe it is €1999 with VAT, so currently around $1785 for US buyer. That includes the very well regarded Ortofon 2M Bronze cartridge pre-mounted, along with all the highly engineered features of this very well reviewed new model, including optical feedback from encoder on the spindle bearing for speed control, single ended RCA and balanced XLR outputs, classic Thorens three coil spring suspension, separate DC power supply, standard SME headshell mount on the J-shaped arm with azimuth and VTA adjustments, etc, etc.

Below is the Lowbeats review conclusion ratings for the Thorens, Technics and Rega tables. Anyway, as I said above, just for fun, I haven't actually owned or even used any of these three tables, but I have been impressed reading about the Thorens so thought I'd mention it here. And I do have an old Thorens TD-320 that I like a lot, though it is somewhat modified from stock form :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
  24. P3ESRXD

Thorens TD 1500 :righton:
    Many months ago I was near buying this TT,
    now I think I'll give it a chance.
    This TD1500 ticks most of "how good TT should be" requirements without being out of reach.

I saw it as modern, more user friendly than my LP12, interchangeable headshell and XLR connections for futureproof use.
    Classic look, three points suspension easy to set, etc.

Thorens TD 1500 Turntable

[​IMG]

Cheaper than Rega P8 :-popcorn:...

25. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Honestly any of those mentioned will do the job if you do your part.
    Isolation
    Alignment
    Cartridge compliance and load matching
    Etc.

They will all fall short if you don't. ;)

avanti1960 likes this.