Turntable advice for mom

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by fireprix, Jan 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fireprix

fireprix Forum Resident Thread Starter

I haven’t dealt with vinyl or records for years. A few days after Christmas this past year my mom who still plays records (not an audiophile by any stretch) asked me to look at her turntable which is a Phillips/Magnavox FP-1413SL01 that I gave her in about 1984 when I was in high school when I bought a Magnavox rack system but didn’t need the turntable because I had just bought a Sharp RP-113 linear tracker.

Anyways her turntable stylist was broken. I was able to find her a replacement stylist which I ordered and put in. However the sound was distorted. I figured that the cartridge was probably shot after 36 years. I went on line searching for information. There are 2 listings for cartridge for this turntable. 1 is a ceramic style cartridge which is fairly easy to come by and 1 moving magnet which is next to impossible to find. The stylist is the same for each. I have to believe this one has the moving magnet cartridge since it requires a phono pre amp. The tone arm is kind of unique as it doesn’t have a head shell to allow for installation of a different cartridge.

I mentioned the Sharp linear tracking turntable to mom as a possible replacement for hers. She likes the idea of not having to touch the tone arm. She is 82 and is afraid she may drop the tone arm and damage it.

The distorted sound reminded me of a few years back when I decided to see what my turntable would sound like on my system which turned out to be not very good. I had replaced the tone arm drive belt in recent memory but remembered that it needed a stylist. It now needs a platter drive belt which is easy to find. With the similar sounding distortion I assumed it needed a new cartridge as well as it was at least 20+ years old by then.

So my main questions after all this are:

Does anyone know anything about the Phillips Magnavox turntable? Is there some way to modify it to accept a standard head shell and install a standard cartridge?

As far as the linear tracker goes there aren’t a lot of choices for T4P mount cartridges any more. It seems as if there are only basic run of the mill Audio Technica and Grado. Grado now seems to be discontinuing theirs. Mom would be happy with anything. The only reason I’d consider the Grado is for when I eventually get it back I may want to use it. But I don’t see myself as going beyond hooking it up to my system and using the phono pre amp in my Integra pre pro which I imagine isn’t top quality by any means. I also believe I read the Grado T4P cartridge uses the same stylist as their standard cartridges do so that should be available for a long time to come. How much better would the Grado be vs the Audio Technica using my pre pro’s built in phono pre amp?

Thanks for reading all this and your opinions.

2. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

No, certainly not in any cost-effective manner.
    For mom, I'd stick with the A-T and spend $31 on a new stylus:
    https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-Replacement-Cartridge-Needles-ATN85EP/

Get a whole new cartridge if it means qualifying for free shipping.

fireprix and patient_ot like this.
  3. Bananajack

Bananajack Phorum ... wat Phorum? Where am I?

When I was very young, I had such a (for a young guy) terrible Philips system, mine with ceramic system.
    There is no way to put another arm, mount another cartridge or the like.

What’s your budget for mum?

fireprix likes this.
  4. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

As mentioned by Apesbrain, I would get the AT85EP, It's an elliptical made in Japan and built to T4P specs, not sure if the Grado is?

I decided to put my SL10 back into service and wanted a cheap cart to test the unit with before spending more for a NOS stylus for my Shure M96.
    I was pleasantly surprised at how pleasant the cart sounds and by the channel separation ...not blurry at all.
    It's a lively little cart as well. Prob hard to beat in the under 50USD range.

Amazon.com: Audio-Technica AT85EP Turntable Cartridge with Elliptical Stylus P Mount: Electronics

fireprix likes this.
  5. fireprix

Didn’t really have a budget in mind. I was planning on getting the platter belt and a new cartridge for the linear tracker. As far as the Phillips/Magnavox I was just trying to find out if there are any known ways to put a decent cartridge in it as she has used it since the mid 80s and is used to using it. You’d have to know my mom. She isn’t very tech savvy or like change and worries about things unnecessarily. For example she worries about driving if the oil change light comes on in her car. She was delighted when I told her about the linear tracking turntable because she wouldn’t have to touch the tone arm. When she listens to records she just listens to the whole side and was overjoyed at the fact all she would have to do was put the record on and push 1 button. I had been leaning towards the Audio Technica since the Sharp came with one when new and I replaced the cartridge a few times over the years with other Audio Technicas and was satisfied with them but this was 30+ years ago and I really didn’t have nearly as good of equipment as I do now. The only reason I’m even considering the Grado is because I will probably get the TT back one day and may wish to use it. It seems except for AT everyone else including Grado seems to be abandoning the T4P style. But I did read the Grado T4P cartridges use the same stylist as their standard 1/2” shell mount cartridge which I assume would be available for some time to come. I’m not as of yet really into vinyl (and don’t really see myself getting back into it in any serious kind of way) but was just curious as to how much better the Grado would sound in just hooking up the TT to my present Integra (Onkyo) pre pro with a built in phono pre amp vs the Audio Technica. I don’t really see myself getting an upgraded pre amp for myself. Mom’s system is an older Kenwood stereo receiver from the 90s with a built in phono pre amp. She would probably be happy if I pounded a nail into her present turntable’s cartridge as long as she could hear it without it being distorted.

Bananajack likes this.
  6. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

She has a turntable stylist?

7. fireprix

I’m leaning towards the AT. Grado does still offer T4P cartridges but I think they are going to or already have discontinued them. Acoustic Sounds is selling a Grado Black T4P for $80 on a close out deal. LP Gear still lists several T4P choices. I have read that the Grado T4P cartridges use the same stylist as their standard 1/2” mount cartridge so the availability of replacement stylists shouldn’t be an issue. My only question is if the more expensive Grado would sound any better using just a built in phono pre amp in my pre pro than the AT. I only ask that because I’m sure I will get the TT back some day (hopefully not any time soon) and may use it again. Mom doesn’t care about SQ but I do.

8. fireprix

Doesn’t everybody? It’s projected to be a lucrative trade in the post Covid new normal economy!

Slick Willie and elaterium like this.
  9. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Again I believe the Grado's are not built to the correct specs for P mounts.
    As there are no adjustments you'll want it designed with correct weight and VTA built in.

fireprix likes this.
  10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The Magnavox takes only it's own cartridge and it's own stylus designed for it. No others can be used. Same with that Sharp you mention. Those are integrated type turntables without cartridge/stylus choices. Also, T4p mount is on borrowed time itself, as no new turntables using it have been made since 2002. The few made today are for the replacement market. Neither of your turntables are T4p mount or 1/2" mount unfortunately. The latter has the best support unless your needs are very low compliance or very high compliance.

fireprix likes this.
  11. fireprix

Thanks for the info. The Sharp is a linear tracking turntable that uses the T4P cartridge as it came with an AT. I have replaced the cartridge at least twice in the past. As far as the Magnavox goes I couldn’t even figure out how the cartridge comes out. From on line photos I saw the whole front of the tone arm comes off where it angles from straight. Was possibly trying to see if anyone knew of a way to mount a standard 1/2” mount shell to the tone arm. However in thinking about it further there is no tracking force adjustment so this would make it that much more difficult.

12. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

All I have to add is that it's pretty great you are setting up a system for Ma. Very very nice. Good luck with it!

drh, fireprix and clhboa like this.
  13. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Agree with this thought. Hope you can get one running for her.

fireprix likes this.
  14. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

The P-mount Grado will not sound better than the current AT85EP.

I found the replacement stylus for that Magnavox, it is either 596-D7 or 596-DE. If the stylus replacement does not sound OK, there is nothing more worth doing to that turntable.

From that point I suggest to get mom a working used Technics SL-Q300 or SL-Q33 or SL-Q35. It is similar in appearance to that Magnavox (ie she is used to that look and operation) (because Mag copied the Technics) and fully automatic and easy P-mount. If that used turntable has an AT cart, there were two AT P-mount types then, get a new stylus for the proper type. If it needs a new cart, get a new AT85EP.

fireprix, Slick Willie and McLover like this.
  15. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

How does your mom feel about CDs? :)

fireprix likes this.
  16. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I would agree with those 3 Technics choices for T4p mount, and using the Audio-Technica cartridge on it. Those would serve her nicely and perform well for the genre.

fireprix, JohnO and Slick Willie like this.
  17. SKBubba

SKBubba Forum Resident

At-lp60x and call it a day.

Victrollin', Adam6437 and fireprix like this.
  18. fireprix

She loves CDs but has a lot of older albums that probably aren’t available on CD.

19. fireprix

Not really setting up a system for her. Just trying to get her a turntable so she can listen to her old albums again.

20. fireprix

May just do that if all else fails.

SKBubba likes this.
  21. fireprix

Well I think I’m gonna go with the AT85EP. Thanks JohnO. I think considering the low cost of the cartridge and the platter belt is less than buying a decent new turntable. Gonna take it apart and clean and relubricate the tone arm tracking system and give it a go.

JohnO and Slick Willie like this.
  22. fireprix

Pulled out the Sharp TT and found it has an Audio Technica ATU4030LC cartridge in it. A quick Google search seems to show that this was a fairly well regarded cartridge in its day. I know the stylus is shot as I remember it did sound horrible several years back when I hooked it up. Now the needle is completely gone. Does anyone know how to test the cartridge? I think the replacement stylus is fairly expensive.

23. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

That cart is identical to AT122LP which could be easier to look up.

You can use the aftermarket stylus Pfanstiehl 4212-DE, an exact fit elliptical for it - and I can say that it sounds great.
    Product Detail

The original LC (or LP) was a "Linear Contact", and LPGear or Turntableneedles have hyperellipticals or "Vivid Line" which approach the LC type.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  24. fireprix

Update: finally got the Sharp ready to go for mom. I took it all apart and found out I had replaced the tone arm drive belt. I measured it and marked the dimensions on the removable service plate. Cleaned all the old grease off everything and replaced with white lithium grease. Put a couple drops of oil on the center bearing and on the shaft of the platter drive motor. Set the speed with a strobe disc, replaced the platter belt and installed a new LP Gear Series V T4P cartridge. One thing I noticed was the new platter belt was very thin compared to the original which was in good shape but just stretched out and fit kinda loose. I set it on a piece of plywood on the floor and connected it up to my system to test it out to make sure it tracked correctly which it did. I was actually surprised at how good it actually sounded. It didn’t howl or display any rumble or feedback from my speakers even at moderate volume. No skipping either. Almost don’t want to give it to mom now. I will however since she listens to a lot more records than I would especially since most of my small old vinyl collection has long been replaced by CDs. Will be taking it over to her today and giving her instructions on its use.

JohnO and Slick Willie like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.