Turntable Fluttering distortion

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by via_atx, Nov 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Maybe also listen very close to the TT when its on and the problem is happening. Any strange noise coming from the Engine or TT?

2. via_atx

via_atx Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks. Will do. I tried that yesterday but nothing was super apparent.

Leonthepro likes this.
  3. Check the audio from headphones to eliminate acoustic feedback from speakers. Also Try moving the table off the wall. It's possible you are avoiding footfalls but you are also connected to fridges, freezers, AC units, furnaces that might be above/below or adjacent to you, causing any manner of electrical and/or mechanical interference.

via_atx and Leonthepro like this.
  4. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Have you checked to make sure the new stylus is fully clicked onto the cartridge? Sometimes the 2M styluses can seem like they’re on but they’re fully in place.

via_atx likes this.
  5. via_atx

Thanks. I tried this previously. I took the turntable from my listening room to my living room and hooked it up to my old Technics receiver and set the turntable next to it on the cabinet. Same results. Thanks for the suggestion.

6. via_atx

I have, thanks! Got the same result from my old 2M red and blue, and with a new blue. Interesting to note,however, that the new blue stylus I bought seemed to go on/off the cartridge much easier than the previous ones. I should check to make sure it's staying on well.

CBackley likes this.
  7. via_atx

I just lubricated the spindle with some precision oil I have. So far, and improvement. I was spinning a copy of REM's Document (MoFi pressing) yesterday and was getting the flutter/tremolo noise terribly. Just now that seems to have mostly gone away....

8. Clean the bearing out and lubricate it with fresh oil - the old oil will have contaminated the oil you've just used.

patient_ot and via_atx like this.
  9. via_atx

10. Does this model have transport screws? If so, did you put the transport screws back in before storage? If they're back in there, it's wonder it's working at all!

11. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

That was the instruction back before Pro-Ject started putting soft pads under the screws. Now there is no instruction to remove the screws.

If you used an oil with a very thin consistency, it is likely that a heavier oil like gear oil will work better longer.

via_atx likes this.
  12. via_atx

My turntable instructions didn't mention removing the screws at all, so I will leave them in and see how the lubricant works.

13. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

I had the same thought. OP replaced the belt, and did some other maintenance. I wonder if more us required? Also, I thought under what conditions was it stored? Was it temp control? Did the conditions cause a moisture build up? Just a little warp of the plinth ot platter might cause this problem.

If it didn't make this sound before storage one could reasonably assume the problem occurred in storage. Was it dropped or handled roughly?

It's really hard to say. I'd start with easy, cheap fixes. Check that wall mount and rhe balance. If you haven't done so look at upgrading the mat. I'd balance the plinth, then check the platter. If it's off you know that the plinth or the platter it out.

I'm just spit balling here, and I'm not a genius, but yhis type of problem is hard to ID. Good luck.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
    via_atx likes this.
  14. via_atx

Thanks for the comments! It was stored boxed up indoors in a temperature controlled environment. Not dropped. I added some lube today and am running the motor a bit. First impression is that it's better, but will test more tonight when I have a free moment.

CBackley likes this.
  15. via_atx

Oiling the spindle has certainly seemed to help. Haven't had time to test it much, but so far it's a marked improvement. I haven't heard the extreme flutter/tremelo effect that was happening previously.

ubiknik likes this.
  16. BillWojo

BillWojo Forum Resident

So pull it back apart and clean all the old oil out. Add some fresh oil, what ever the manufacture recommends or a light machine oil like sewing machine oil. I use AW32 hydraulic oil, it's made for stuff like this. Don't ever use engine oil.

BillWojo

via_atx likes this.
  17. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Roy Hall of Music Hall has been known to recommend Mobil 1 motor oil for his turntables (made by Pro-Ject). Rega has been known to recommend hypoid gear oil for their turntables, which have a well and subplatter similar to Pro-Ject.

McLover and via_atx like this.
  18. Lenny99

Yep. I've noticed this problem with my 2M Red.

via_atx likes this.
  19. via_atx

Just following up here. It's mostly playing fine, but two nights ago I started noticing the flutter/tremolo sound again. The spindle spins super smooth by hand, but I'm convinced that the bearing here is the issue. I just applied a drop of multipurpose precision oil down in the hole and am going to let it run for a bit to see if it loosens things up. If the problem persists, I may remove the bearing ball at the bottom and clean everything with isopropyl alcohol, add brand new lubricant, and see if that fixes it.

Pro-ject sells "Lube-it" oil for this, but it's $25 for a tiny bit so not going there... haha. I spoke with Music Direct (where I purchased it from), and they said a precision oil like I have should be fine.

20. via_atx

[​IMG] [​IMG] Just tested again and the noise is back. Very frustrating. The record will start playing fine, and then the tremolo/flutter returns.

If anyone here has a Pro-ject, curious if you could check something for me. When I view the turntable from the side and look at the motor pulley and the sub-platter pulley, the motor leans towards the sub-platter slightly. Since the motor sits on rubber bushings and has a rubber band around its circumference holding it in place, this angle is not really adjustable.

It seems to me that this motor should be straight up and down and not leaning towards the sub-platter. Not sure if this could be causing my issue or not, but thought I'd see if anyone else could look at theirs and tell me if the motor is straight or leaning towards the center.

Here is a pic: IMG_1789.jpg

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
  21. Lenny99

My Audio Technica ATWP7 is a belt drive with a servo motor which monitors and adjust speed. I randomly check the speed. It's always spot on.

The belt drive is exposed. So, I am able to observe the motor's main spindle to which the belt is attached. It has a little play. I believe it was manufactured with that in mind.

I suppose that's all about the way your table is engineered. The minor lean of the spindle does not seem to be an issue for my TT. But, if its the entire motor, or if the spindle of ur table should not have any lean I think that would be an issue.

I hope that helps a bit.

via_atx likes this.
  22. via_atx

Thanks, Lenny. I'm inclined to believe that this lean has always been there since I've owned it, but I'm just now noticing because of my troubleshooting. The table has been meticulously cared for and hasn't been dropped, etc. There doesn't appear to be an easy way to adjust this without completely taking the motor off and attempting to adjust the rubber bushings/band that stabilize it

23. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

I don’t think this is the cause if the issue is intermittent; I mean, I don’t see how a pulley can be leaning one time (when there’s flutter) and straight up (when there’s no flutter) another time.

via_atx likes this.
  24. via_atx

agree. Doesn't seem likely

25. Davey

Davey NP: Broadcast ~ The Noise Made by People (2000 LP)

You should remove the platter and look at how the belt is moving around the pulley and subpatter. Does the picture below look like your model? If the motor spindle is leaning toward the subplatter, then the belt is likely not centered on the pulley and riding against the top ridge, causing excess belt vibration and the wow/flutter you are hearing. Could be the belt is oving up and down the pulley. Optimally, the belt should be moving smoothly without noticeable vibrations and should stay centered on the pulley. You may have to loosen the motor mount screws and adjust the rubber ring that supports the motor.

[​IMG]

McLover and via_atx like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.