Turntable questions

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Aquateen, Oct 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aquateen

Aquateen Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sometime in the next three months or so I plan on getting a new stereo. It would be somewhat of a budget stereo but an improvement over my shelf system. Right now I have a cheap Sony Turntable that cost about $100, I'm not by it so I don't know the exact type. Is there any turntables around $200 or so and would I see any improvement ove the one I have now?

2. jeff e.

jeff e. Member

Your best bet may be to search for a good used turntable. There are plenty of them out there. Right now, I'm using a Dual 506 (with a Stanton 681eee cartridge) that I got at the Salvation Army for $15 (in mint condition no less, even the dust cover!) Three good vintage "budget" names to look for are Dual, Thorens and AR. Happy hunting!

3. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Duals were very well-built. I used to have a CS-5000...great little turntable. Look for belt-driven models.

4. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

My Dual 1229 from 1973 works great but soon to be replaced by a Rega P3.

5. Aquateen

Aquateen Forum Resident Thread Starter

How much do duals run for?

6. Roscoe

Roscoe Active Member

If you are willing to go a little over $200, try a Music Hall MMF-2.1. I bought one of these when I was getting back into vinyl 3 years ago.

It's belt driven, has a Goldring cartridge and is about as close to plug & play as you can get.

For the price, the sound is outstanding. List price is $299, but if you search the net you can definitely find it for less.

Music Hall also offers a lower model, the MMF-1, but I have never heard this TT. It lists for less than $200.

7. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I'll be brief here... Get as much as you can, because the smarter [and sometimes] more money you put in your phono rig, the better. I'm not saying one should go into a high end VPI form nothing with a small budget, but push the limit from the start just a little. You will be a LOT happier once you've listened for a while.

8. sgraham

sgraham New Member

There's a SOTA (with arm!) selling for $500 at Audio Advisor this month. Tempting...

9. darkstar

darkstar New Member

sota at audio advisor? Can't find it, do you have a URL?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.