Turntable suggestions

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ryaneagon, Nov 23, 2022.

1. ryaneagon

ryaneagon Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi All. I'm relatively new in the turntable market. For the past 2 years, I've been using my dad's old Dual 721 turntable fitted with a Grado Black (I think) The turntable itself is pretty worn out and noisy, and I want to get something of my own. I have decent mid-fi Equipment. Onkyo TX-RZ50, and Polk Audio Reserve R700 speakers.
    I've done a good amount of research on a few $300-700 turntables and possibly narrowed it down to the AT-LP50 or the Pro-ject Debut Carbon EVO.
    I haven't heard either but I've heard similar models. Pro-Ject 2Xperience Beatles "White Album" Turntable and an Audio Technica LPW40

I will most likely use the Onkyo Pre-Amp or purchase a separate phono preamp. In all honesty, I preferred the sound of the LPW40, which is crazy! being the Pro-ject cost $1500 (If I'm not mistaken) and the LPW40 $379.
    The Pro-ject sounded muddy, grainy, and very sibilant, maybe it wasn't set up correctly, though.

I'm also looking into the Fluance 83-84, but I'm not a fan of the 2MRed or 2Mblue. Granted, I haven't heard them on my system or spent much time with either.

I wanted to get some opinions for this forum. I'm up for suggestions.

My budget is $400-600

2. mbg

mbg Forum Resident

Don’t have comparative advice but I’ll give you a bump before falling off the first page.

With your budget, the entry level tables from AT, Project and Fluance are probably your best bets.

While others here may have stronger opinions than mine, I feel at that price point it is unlikely there will be a huge difference in TT quality so focusing on the one which comes with your preferred cart/stylus would be my advice.

warp2600, JFCB, goer and 2 others like this.
  3. ryaneagon

Thanks for the info. What about mid-level tables? I Don't mind spending more if It gains a better experience.

4. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

U-Turn has entries at the entry (and newly introduced) mid level tiers. I'd also recommend the Technics 1500-C, with the proviso that the Ortofon 2M Red is the stock cartridge.

FWIW I also had the Red on the Project Debut III that the Technics replaced, and the difference between the two tables with the same cartridge is night and day.

5. ryaneagon

Thanks for the reply. The 1500-C wasn’t even in my radar, but I will definitely be checking it out.

6. harby

harby Forum Resident

Fluance? No. The turntables might be bad and the tonearms might be bad, but at least the cartridges are bad.

Here is your shopping list; look for -78dB rumble, quartz-lock direct drive, and if you want to spend over $100 on high-fidelity cartridges, non-p-mount: Technics Turntables

Semi-automatic: picks up the needle at the end. Full automatic: start with a button press. Super-automatic: linear trackers that let you program the tracks.

Other mid-fi you can pick up used are Sony direct-drive, like PS-LX410, and more, picking from the cream of what's not fashionable. The market for more obscure like Micro-Seiki, and more recognizable but still bleah like Thorens or Dual is through the roof. There's also a few DJ turntables from 20 years ago that fly under the radar (because DJs want nothing but SL1200MKx), the top models from Numark or Vestax.

Direct-drive has no belts, thus keeps working at the correct speed into this millennium. New turntables now are overpriced junk with various faults, unless you drop $1000 for a Technics which ends the search.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
  7. ctbarker32

ctbarker32 Forum Resident

Concur for Technics 100C (1500C without preamp) at exactly $1K. Buy this and you are set for life. No belt drive will match the Technics speed accuracy.

8. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

The 100c is the one you should hone in on, it comes with an AudioTechnica VM95 cartridge, which has the conical stylus (the cheapest one) and you can just switch out the stylus on that cartridge for a ML (microline), SH (shibata) or if going budget for good sound the EH (nude mounted elliptical).
    Heck with the conical it will probably sound better than that Grado, the EN is a fairly inexpensive tip but better sound and the ML or SH will get you high end sound but they are pricier at close to $200.

9. Natara

Natara Well-Known Member

Rega Planar 1 fitted with an AT VM95E cartridge which is a straight swap for the Rega Carbon the deck comes with is an incredible bargain.

VinylCountdown and ryaneagon like this.
  10. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

Really good Black Friday price on the Technics SL-100C now, just $675 ... but the catch is you have to order from Amazon UK, so there is also about $100 for shipping. But still around $250 or so cheaper than the US price with sales tax.

11. ryaneagon

The SL-1200mk7 was first on my list before I started falling into the black hole of reviews, direct drive vs belt, carbon fiber vs aluminum…etc,etc,etc. as like my Dual 721 it has direct drive and adjustable pitch control which I’ve grown accustomed too, also being fully automatic is a nice touch…I’d be able to pick up a brand new mk7 table for around $750 before tax which is super appealing.
    What stylus are most recommended for these tables? My preference is towards the warmer side.

warp2600 likes this.
  12. Davey

Fully automatic? What do you mean by that? None of these tables are even semi-automatic, though the Technics SL-100C and 1500C do have end of side auto lift.

13. harby

harby Forum Resident

Reminder that the SL-1200mk2/5/7 are manual turntables; you can't just leave the room and listen, as the needle will just sit in the groove at the end thumping away.

SL-1200mk2 or mk5 is functionally equivalent, and can be had used closer to $500. People will say "bla blah, abused by DJs", but the fact is that these are bulletproof unless you drop them. Give it the one drop of special oil on the spindle bearing that they could use after 20 years, and you are ready to go.

This is a killer deal near you right now that just showed up: Technics Turntable - electronics - by owner - sale

fretter and ryaneagon like this.
  14. ryaneagon

I’d hit the start button and it would start, end of the record it bring back the arm to its resting place and stop. Honestly, its something I didn’t even use often, but if I ever walked away from it I know I’d be covered which was always a great feeling. ;)

15. Davey

Oh, the Dual CS721, duh, now I understand. Thought you meant the new ones we were talking about :)

The Dual CS721 was a nice table, it had the lower torque version of the CS701 motor, which was the first coreless motor used in a direct drive table way back in 1973. Looks are kind of dated, and obviously with 45 years use it has probably seen better times, but Dual was one of the leaders back then in the normal consumer turntable market.

ryaneagon likes this.
  16. nutsfortubes

nutsfortubes They tried to kill us, and we won!

17. nutsfortubes

nutsfortubes They tried to kill us, and we won!

18. timind

timind phorum rezident

Your 721 is one of the nicer Dual turntables. I'm surprised no one has suggested sending it off to someplace like Fix My Dual. They will probably have it running like new for less than your budget.

19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

For your budget, overhaul and properly service that Dual. Much better than any Fluance, and any AT option, not to mention any new option cheaper than a Technics SL-1200 Mk 7. The Dual 721 is very respected, and a nice tonearm. I still run a Dual 1019 frequently and a Technics SL-1200 Mk II.

Billy Bob, Guildx500 and Francois1968 like this.
  20. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Especially if he is used to the automatic operation, this might be a good call. However, he did say this is his father’s turntable, and he wants one of his own, so maybe fixing the Dual isn’t on the table?

McLover and timind like this.
  21. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Of course the Technics 100c. But if your budget cannot afford it, Pioneer PLX-1000 for $499 at Guitar Center. The Pioneer is not a cheap light weight TT, it weights 28.8 lbs. The PL-50 or Project are under 15lb toys.

22. Francois1968

Francois1968 Forum Resident

If I were in your shoes I would have the Dual 721 overhauled and serviced. It's what I did actually with it's sibling (half automatic) 704. The turntable is as new and silent as a mouse.

Guildx500, ryaneagon, ubiknik and 2 others like this.
  23. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

I second this advice. For your budget get the Pioneer. Put that Grado black on it and buy a higher grade stylus like a green, red, blue...

Charile likes this.
  24. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

For the people that got their Duals refurbed, it might be helpful if you gave the OP a ballpark figure for what it might cost him.

25. ryaneagon

Thanks for your input. I'm going to look into this. Cosmetically it's sound. Fully functional. But, it's definitely showing its age and needs an overall. I also think it will shine with a better cartridge. Out of the few tables I've heard, I do prefer the sound of the 721 and Grado combination, thinking adding a Grado blue or red will bring back some life.

Any idea about the cost? Full overhall?

Big Blue and timind like this.