Turntable upgrade question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Joe Koz, Feb 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam Thread Starter

I own a B&O RX2 w/ the MMC2 cart. I want to upgrade my table. I like what I see in the Music Hall MM7, but I'm not sure about the Goldring Eroica cartridge.
    How do they sound? Can I do better for the price of the MM7? Thanks......Joe

2. Humorem

Humorem New Member

What's it cost?

3. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

I think the MMF7 is just under $1000. The Goldring Eroica goes for about $325.

FWIW I really love my MMF5 with the Goldring 1012.

4. Humorem

Humorem New Member

My friend has a used VPI Mark IV with a power conditioner that would be a big step up from the MH. He wants about $1250 I think. It's a great table for that kind of money.

5. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam Thread Starter

Holy Zoo....Would you think the MMF5 would be a upgrade from a B&O, or the MMF7? How does the Goldring cart's hold up & sound? Also how easy is it setting up the Music Halls turntables? Thanks....Joe

6. Holy Zoo

Sorry, don't know. I haven't heard either.

I don't know how well they hold up, I've only had the MMF for a couple months now. I've been playing it lots though, and so far all's fine. Build quality seems decent (though definitely not extravagent by any means).

Setup was easy - they install and align the cart at the factory. You have to put the counterweight on your self and adjust it - but that was also easy, and after following their directions to the letter and setting the weight to 1.6 grams using the markings on the weight, I then measured it using my dad's ancient Shure scale, and it was dead on.

As for sound - everything seems to be right. I've listened to a few dozen albums and compared them directly to their cd counterparts, and so far in every case the LP's sound even and natural, where the CDs have been wildly all over the place. I've only found a couple of LPs that sound too thin or two bassy, so I'm thinking that this is a pretty neutral turntable (that, or it makes everything sound good!).

7. Humorem

Humorem New Member

How do your DCC LPs sound?

8. Holy Zoo

I'm ashamed to say that I don't have any.

I have just gotten back into vinyl a couple months ago, and I've been playing my old vinyl from high school through college, which include a few MoFi's, most of which sound way way WAY too trebly (example, Breakfast In America). However - I like the Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 MoFi (though I still prefer the original mono (better mix)).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.