Turntable upgrade to complete my system upgrade--ideas??

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Michael LeCompte, Oct 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael LeCompte

Michael LeCompte Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have now completed my system upgrade except for the turntable Have a Technics integrated amp with 120 wpc, B&W 601 speakers bi-wired, a Nak 505 tape deck and Phonomena 2 phono preamp. I think the weak link may be my Technics 1800MKII turntable. I like the table, but read reviews of new turntables in the $800-1000 range on Needle Doctor and lots of folk seem to feel that their new turnable greatly improves their system.

So--looking at Music Hall 5.1 and 5.1SE, Project RM5.1SE and the Rega RP3. Already have an Ortofon 2M Bronze so would be using that. Would then relegate the Technics table for my older LPs and mono recordings since I can run two turntables in the integrated amp.

So bottom line is this: should I do a turntable upgrade to newer 21st century technology? Suggestions please

2. All 3 of those TT's would make for a fine addition to a lot of systems. I've heard TT's from all 3 manufacturers, but not those models, so others can chime in on their strengths and weaknesses. I do believe there isn't a wrong choice in the ones you've looked at however.

Although I like vintage TT's, and still have 2 Revolvers (Rebel and Red), I would upgrade to a newer TT.

3. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

I think you'll be pleased with any of the three, all have very good tonearms at their price point. However, being a Technics user, be aware that to change speeds you have to remove the platter to get to the belt and then you have to manually move the belt to the appropriate pulley. If you don't want to mess with doing that, you can get a speed box which gives electronic control of speeds, but that's an additional $130. For a couple of hundred more you could get the Pro-Ject 2Xperience Classic, which has the belt outside the platter making speed changes easier (you still have to do it manually.) I have the 2Xperience and I really like it, and I also have a Technics SL-1200MK2.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  4. Good points quadjoe!

Do you have a preference between the 2Xperience and the 1200MK2? What cartridges are on them?

5. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

If your are considering a Rega I would council you to spend the extra money and buy the RP6.

6. Michael LeCompte

changing speeds is not an issue since all I have are 33 1/3 LPs. Will check out the XPerience Classic. Hadn't looked at it

7. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

I know the sound of the Technics very well. Had 2 of them for more than 10 years and like them. I also had a vintage DUAL CS 701, that I liked a tad better. Since that broke down this spring I had to get another TT. After a lot of research I settled on THORENS brand new TD 209, a trickled down TD 309 but in a more regular square shape with a great tonearm. I could get a killer deal for a brand new table and from the moment it arrived I love it. It sounded better than the DUAL even with the stock AT 95B cart ! After putting my Sumiko BPS EVO III (in the same range as the Bronze ) the sound got dramatically better. So yes ! Definitely a TT makes a lot of a difference. As good as a basic Technics is if you get an audiophile table you get much better sound in every aspect. BTW I was eying on a REGA RP 40, since changing speeds manually is a no no for me - Got a ton of 12" running at 45 and the Thorens offers all of that. Speed Change starts and stops the platter - a cool construction.. You should have a look at it. I better the RP 40 soundwise, too imo.

8. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

Buy whichever TT you desire....but IMHO....keep the SL-1800 and do some tests to see what real differences you can actually hear . Then post them here so we can read the results.

9. Michael LeCompte

I'm getting the feeling that I should keep the Technics, maybe do some modifications and forget the new table. I'll be in Jacksonville Fl area next week for awhile and may visit the two stores there. We don't have any sources here in Knoxville. A visit to an audio store may answer my questions

10. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

The Technics currently has a JVC 4MD 20X cartridge on it which is a CD-4 compliant cartridge from the old quadraphonic days, but I usually use my beloved AT 14Sa cartridge on it that I bought new in 1975. Both cartridges track flawlessly, have nude-mount Shibata styli and sound excellent. The Technics is the turntable I use in my vintage quad system and it sounds great. I do have an AT-440ML that is very good as well, but doesn't quite track the CD-4 discs as well (but does so capably.) On the Pro-Ject I have an Audio-Technica OC9 MKII moving-coil cartridge, and that turntable is the analog source connected to my Denon AVR 4311ci, and it is used in stereo, Pure Direct mode only. The Denon system is better quality sound-wise than the Sansui system (including much better speakers, which are listed in my profile) and I would say that the Pro-Ject has a better soundstage, and slightly quieter backgrounds, but I haven't compared the two turntables head-to-head. I do intend to do that in the not too distant future as I'm curious to see just how much of a difference there is. Of course to be a valid comparison of the tables that means I'll have to buy another OC9 cartridge for the Technics, which I'm willing to do, that way I can connect both tables to the Denon. I like both turntables very well, but I think that the Pro-Ject edges out the Technics slightly. (The Technics does have some KAB mods, including the Cardas rewire.)

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  11. Wasatch

Wasatch Music Lover!

See if you can find an older P3-24 or P5.

12. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Surprised that no one thinks the Technics amp might be the weak link. Which model is it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.