TV show 'Square Pegs' no longer uses original theme song. What gives?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by voicebug, Jul 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. voicebug

voicebug Senior Member Thread Starter

I've caught 'Square Pegs' on TV-land a half dozen times and noticed that it doesn't use the original theme song by The Waitresses. What happened?

I've never heard of an old TV show losing the rights to its theme song before. Does anyone know what's going on with this?

I've also noticed that this program hasn't aged very well. It seemed much more exciting the first time around watching it when I was in Junior High School. :rolleyes:

2. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

Sara Jessica's image sure has changed, huh?

3. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

That is odd. I don't remember that ever happening, either :confused:

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

This is true!! Truth is, she's had quite a career on Sex & The City, and I have to admit the show is addictive.

Who would have thought!

5. Kym

Kym Former Resident

AFAIK, the Waitresses song only appeared over the end credits, while the intro credits had an instrumental by Tom Scott. I saw an episode on TVL last week, and the Waitresses song was where it should be. :confused:

6. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

The Waitresses' theme song sometimes appears over the opening credits, and sometimes over the close. No rhyme or reason.

I can't stop watching the reruns over and over on TV Land, even though they keep showing the same few. I know it only lasted one season, but I'm still waiting to see the Bill Murray episode.

7. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I watched S. Pegs when they were on the first time around. That show rocks!!

8. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

"Get A Life!" originally used R.E.M.'s "Stand" as an opening theme, but when Rhino issued some home videos of the show, a generic theme was substituted (presumably due to licensing problems).

9. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Re: Re: TV show 'Square Pegs' no longer uses original theme song. What gives?

Well they must've cleared things up with the band or whomever because "Stand" is back on the two DVD volumes that have been released so far!!

10. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Yea...back then, she was kinda cute. :rolleyes:

11. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Re-runs of WKRP In Cincinatti have run into problems with licensing the music used during the show's original broadcast, and have had to substitute other music. I think one particular episode had to have Elton John's "Tiny Dancer" taken out of it, even though part of the show revolves around that song.

12. Steven

Steven Senior Member

I've taped 3 or 4 runs of the show on TV-Land, and they never have shown the Bill Murray ep, and I think a few others. I stopped taping now.

13. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Same with Fernwood Tonight. They show the same shows over and over. I quit taping it.

14. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

The earliest episodes didn't have The Waitresses' theme as it had not even been recorded yet. Just the instrumental theme, beginning AND end. Then the new theme was recorded & used a few shows into the season. Kind of like The Flintstones having an instrumental theme for the first season that nobody remembers anymore, since the well-known theme was added in season 2.

15. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Re: Re: TV show 'Square Pegs' no longer uses original theme song. What gives?

I think what you're thinking of is when the USA Network briefly reran the series a few years ago. It was then that the R.E.M. theme was gone. Rhino (part of AOL Time Warner) had no problem securing home video rights to the song (from the Warner Bros. Records album Green).

Lately, when the Tom Hanks-Peter Scolari serries Bosom Buddies is shown in reruns, they use a god-awful "new" theme song instead of a bad remake of Billy Joel's "My Life."

Rights, baby, rights.

16. lil.fred

lil.fred SeƱor Sock

Hey, who'd have thought Kim Cattrall would make a comeback? I can remember when we thought "Mannequin 2" would be the high point of her career. Now she's downright respectable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.