TV shows that have not been shown on TV in a long time

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Jul 8, 2019.

1. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Sue Thomas Private Eye-4AM EST on Start TV,everyday.
    Wiki lists only 56 episodes,so just a few weeks to burn through a run. That is a big problem for Start TV,as they indeed get some "women hero" shows and keep them on way too long past burning through episodes. The Closer -6PM &7PM-109 episodes-about the same length of Sue Thomas' run. Would love to see Major Crimes past The Closer-another 105 episodes would at least change things up. Too cheap? Syndication snafus? Dunno. Warner Bros. is as greedy as anyone. The network has The Good
    Wife-more episodes(156),more recent, better critical acclaim and a well reviewed spinoff hidden behind CBS' paywall. But The Good Wife is at 11PM- You would think showing it a bit earlier might be the ideal(started with 2 episodes each day-once again burn out,but backed off to one-a good idea). For this viewer,11PM is the start of late night shows-Trevor Noah,Colbert,Meyers and 11th Hour/Maddow when the comics are on vacation(like now). Start TV,another Weigel operation,this one with CBS/CW O&Os,not unlike Decades. Weigel has MeTV,Smart TV,H&I(the testosterone version of Start TV,Decades & Movies!with Fox stations) and they all have curiously stupid programming schedules ,just as long as they can shove bad insurance policies and "2 for$19.99 plus free shipping just pay a separate fee" crap on viewers' eyes.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

They’re both such underrated shows though.

carrick doone likes this.
  3. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...How do you feel that those shows " tried to capture their times zeitgeist ":confused:?

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  4. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...I'm about to watch this:)!

Billo likes this.
  5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

By focusing on characters and real-world situations that more mirrored the issues and real-world challenges familiar to the audiences themselves, rather than just conjuring up some cardboard characters tested by focus groups to be inoffensive cartoons that wouldn't relate to anybody. "Molly Dodd" had a helluva lot better ring of truth to her than Cliff Huxtable ever did (Dr. Huxtable may have been a role model, but one that was created as a marketing answer to those looking for one, not from reality. "Slap Maxwell" was flawed, as was "Larrouquette", but they came from someplace recognizable to the target demographic who saw something of themselves in them, rather than Herman Munster and Barney Fife. Brett Butlers' and Barrs' characters were drawn from a part of the audience that didn't tend to see themselves reflected fairly in their evenings' entertainment? You think Ralph Kramden could claim that (or Fred Flintstone, for that matter)?

And that's why I say I prefer these, because they stepped out of their studios' and their networks' comfort zones to try and reach those people who had a little more real character in their lives deeper than, say, Gilligan and Thurston Howell III.

WLL likes this.
  6. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

I can't remember the last time Maude was rerun in the UK.

7. TheNightfly1982

TheNightfly1982 Forum Resident

Moonlighting
    The Equalizer
    L.A. Law
    Picket Fences
    Night Court
    Highway To Heaven

8. beat_truck

beat_truck Forum Resident

Maude is currently on FETV on DirecTV. We've been watching it every night.

9. beat_truck

beat_truck Forum Resident

I saw it on recently in the waiting room at the Dr's office. I think it is on one of the OTA channels that runs old TV shows. Laff I think? If not, MeTV or AntennaTV.

Grand_Ennui and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  10. MikaelaArsenault

Laff.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  11. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Senior Member

Highway To Heaven is on Cozi-TV weekdays 2-4PM.

Grand_Ennui and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  12. MikaelaArsenault

I take back what I said about Black Sheep Squadron.

H&I shows it at 7 PM every Saturday.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  13. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

I find it amazing how people can still in this day and age "watch TV". I was just in the hospital for 2 months and did watch a bit of ME-TV, but the endless commercial breaks drove me crazy, I love TV but I either watch things from my tens of thousands of shows in my collection or DVR it and skip all of the commercials. Sitting in front of the set and watching something as it airs? Unless its something on one of the premium channels, like HBO, Showtime, etc., forget it.

14. Dirkwkirk

Dirkwkirk Forum Resident

Paper Chase? Hawaii 5-o.

15. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Senior Member

During the commercial breaks, I'm on this forum, or doing other computer stuff. Or change channels. I do watch a lot more DVDs and Blu-Rays now than regular TV, though. Or Amazon Prime. :D

16. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

Night Court is currently on Laff

Find Us - Laff

17. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I'm surprised that Moonlighting has been sparsely seen in syndication. It was a good show, very popular when it aired and launched the career of Bruce Willis. I know that there were some production difficulties, but I think there would be demand out there. As far as I know, it isn't even streaming anywhere.

MikaelaArsenault and JeffreyB like this.
  18. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Senior Member

I agree, it was an excellent show. I remember having to wait an extra long time, I think in the 4th and 5th seasons, for episodes to air, due to the delays. It was worth the wait. I have all 5 seasons on DVD, which I think are a bit pricey now.

Spaghettiows likes this.
  19. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

NOWHERE MAN - This was a UPN show that premiered alongside STAR TREK: VOYAGER. It starred Bruce Greenwood as a man whose identity is stripped from him by an unknown "they" because of a controversial photo that he took as a photojournalist. He's got the negative - they want it. It ran one full season on UPN and was briefly available on a DVD set. I have it - and they want it!

[​IMG]

20. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Midnight Caller

Instant Dharma likes this.
  21. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Just saw SOAP on tv this morning.

22. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

For some reason our H&I channel was replaced with what appears to be The Grand Ole Opry channel. :mad: I don't know if that is what it is called but I miss H&I.

23. MikaelaArsenault

Is it Circle?

24. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Ghost Story/Circle Of Fear
    Love Story [was an anthology sibling of Police Story]

25. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Love Story was no connection to Police Story. Different studio and producers. Medical Story (great show) was by the same people who produced Police Story.