Twin Peaks: The Return (2017)...*Contains Spoilers!!*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jerry Horne, Oct 3, 2014.

1. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

It didn't have a finished script before hand but it was based on material he created for his website so he wasn't really making it up as went along.

MikaelaArsenault and kevywevy like this.
  2. I think there's one more step, based on reading Lynch's early versions and shooting scripts. He removes little bits of plot info here and there from the final script, thus giving it that Lynch "dream state" feel.

3. While I'm here . . . Last night I was watching season 3, episode 9. It was late at night but hot so I had the windows open (and the surround sound cranked!) when the scene with Ben hearing the strange sound comes on. Next thing I know, four or five coyotes started howling right outside the window closest to the TV. The coyotes live here on the property so hearing them is pretty much a daily event but they have never been that close!
    I wouldn't put it past Lynch to have added a dog whistle to whatever that sound is. I was going to test the theory by playing the scene again to see if they'd howl again but then it occurred to me that deliberately attracting coyotes to my home was maybe not a great idea.

4. DVEric

DVEric Satirical Intellectual

For an artist like Lynch to re-visit 25 year old material was probably the most frustrating point of his career. People who have masterpiece-fever won’t ever acknowledge this, but Lynch was deliberately frustrating the Twin Peaks fans week after week. Agent Cooper is Twin Peaks — which is exactly why Lynch had Cooper staring off into space for the majority of the series.

5. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

I remember turning on the subtitles when watched episode 8 again one night when it was late. The subtitles trying to describe the sound design was pretty hilarious.

6. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

7. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Thanks. I remember Axxon N was announced after Rabbits appeared on his website but not much was known about it

8. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Gotta disagree here.
    Coop had just spent 25 years in another dimension and got back to base by having his molecules blown apart and then reassembled.
    I'd like to see how any of us would get on after being electrically disassembled and then reconstituted through a wall outlet.

I'm imagining most would take longer than Coop took to snap back, if at all.

9. DVEric

No question, applying regressive logic works beautifully. Well done — I agree.

However, My point above wasn’t referring to the internal-logic of the story, but the fact that Lynch wrote the series in a way to purposely frustrate the audience.

There is a Brechtian writing trope that Lynch uses frequently — Verfemdungseffekt. It’s a writing tool used to alienate the audience. A good clue, is the large photo of Franz Kafka used throughout the series. Kafka was the master of frustrating the reader, and Lynch has mentioned his kindred spirit to Kafka from the beginning of his career. Although the intention between Kafka/Brecht/Lynch differs, Lynch continually alienated the audience throughout the series; continually frustrated the audience — it’s on the screen for all to see.

The scene in episode 8, wherein Lynch uses Moonlight Sonata, but slows it down to be unrecognizable, is an example of Brechtian alienation. It’s a great scene, in the only truly inspired episode of The Return.

:cheers:

Distancing effect - Wikipedia

Last edited: Aug 23, 2022
  10. RockNRod

RockNRod Forum Resident

I don't know, Captain Kirk seems fine after many transporter away missions. I think Lynch used the electrical outlet because he likes using simple special effects and well he uses electricity because it is mysterious.

11. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Definitely. He has a thing for electricity.

12. RockNRod

RockNRod Forum Resident

If true, well it didn't work on me. Proof in that I own the Blu-ray version. I really looked forward to the music at the end of each episode.

SRC, MikaelaArsenault and This Heat like this.
  13. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

And all things with an industrial, almost steampunk aesthetic, ala Eraserhead.

MikaelaArsenault and This Heat like this.
  14. DVEric

Lynch’s use of electricity in his films has always impressed me.

Lynch employed these writing techniques, whether or not they were effective is, I suppose, dependent on the viewer. Clearly my interpretation/observation isn’t warming any hearts — but then again, I’m not interested in changing people’s opinions.

And I agree, Lynch has always used music effectively in his films.

:agree:

MikaelaArsenault and Crungy like this.
  15. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

The sound of these things are especially important. That's probably the biggest difference between Season 3 of Twin Peaks and the first two: the sound design is much more aggressive. It's fun to watch and listen on headphones. If I remember, one of the first lines of dialogue in the last season is something like "listen to the sounds" as we hear a crackling record player.

Someone posted a good interview above about someone working with Lynch on sound. Also, I read this recently:

https://www.amazon.com/David-Lynch-Boundaries-Anne-Jerslev/dp/3030739236

It's certainly very academic but it gives a nice overview of the aesthetic importance of sound in his work.

SRC, MikaelaArsenault and Max Florian like this.
  16. questrider

questrider Forum Resident

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone would have trouble adjusting if you traveled through an electrical outlet from the Black Lodge without your shoes.

17. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

18. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

I often wonder if he was influenced by Captain Beefheart's track Electricity.

19. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Rupe33 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  21. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

I think expectations get in the way of seeing.

22. Yes, a few people walked out when I saw FWWM. If you only knew Lynch from the TV series, you were in for a big surprise. Especially with the humor that (imo) Frost brought to the series nowhere to be seen. It was WAY darker than the TV show. Personally, I was utterly blown away and could have sat in my theater seat for half an hour thinking about what I just saw. My companion, my best friend's wife and the only other person I knew that watched every single episode, was a little shocked at the violence and nudity and thought it was all very depressing.
    I have always wondered what the first two seasons would have been like on HBO instead of ABC. That scene of Laura topless in the bar instantly tells us the depths to which she has fallen.

MikaelaArsenault and This Heat like this.
  23. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

The final episode of Season 2 should have prepared people but I wonder how many people made that far. People were generally more receptive to the last season than FWMW

MikaelaArsenault and kevywevy like this.
  24. Not too many made it to the end. I recall having to go through the TV guide every week trying to find it because ABC kept switching nights. Then it vanished completely for a couple months right near the end. You had to really want to watch the last handful of episodes to even find them.
    One last thought about season two - if I ever meet Ray Wise I'm going to tell him that he should have won an Emmy for his death scene. Incredible acting. On TV!