Two hit wonders - any favorites?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AFOS, Apr 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

Dinosaur Jr. has had two top 10 US Modern Rock hit singles- "Start Choppin'" and "Feel the Pain."

JoeRockhead and youngchoulin like this.
  2. nocturnal-transmissions

nocturnal-transmissions logic and proportion

Stealers Wheel hit #6 in the US with “Stuck In The Middle With You” and #29 with “Star.” A potential third hit, “Everyone’s Agreed That Everything Will Turn Out Fine,” stalled at #49 — although it reached #33 in the UK, giving them a third Top 40 hit there.

stevef, drad dog and souldeep69 like this.
  3. prymel

prymel Forum Resident

Both "Stuck..." and "Star" are insanely catchy. Gerry Rafferty had a real gift for melodic hooks.

4. 1983

1983 Forum Resident

Uh, Good Girls Don't got all the way up to #11 on the Hot 100, and they even had a third Top 40 hit in 1980 with "Baby Talks Dirty", so really the Knack is a three-hit wonder. And given that even #10 "Rock Me" by Steppenwolf doesn't even register as a hot for you, you must be using a weird definition where only songs that make the top 5 count as hits, or are referring to "hits" in terms of songs you remember, which is by every definition subjective and anecdotal and therefore dubious.
    According to what I'm seeing on Wikipedia, the Vapors had exactly one hit in the US, and just barely: Turning Japanese (#1/1980). In fact there wasn't a single country where they had more than one Top 40 hit, and the band's native UK is the only country where they had more than one Top 100 entry.

Soulman58 likes this.
  5. MitchFlorida

MitchFlorida Forum Resident

In America, The Tremeloes had two Top 40 Hits. Here Comes my Baby and the more impressive Silence is Golden.

fr in sc likes this.
  6. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

These jumped out to me:

Looking Glass: "Brandy" and the superior, but less charted "Jimmy Loves Mary-Anne"

Kim Wilde: "Kids In America" and "You Keep Me Hanging On" (based on US charts)

Lindsay Buckinham (solo): "Trouble" and "Go Insane".

Somebody above mentioned the Poppy Family -- I was surprised to see that "Where Evil Grows" was not a US Top 40 hit. I grew up in the Detroit area, so it got a ton of cross-border play -- "That's Where I Went Wrong" didn't have the impact that WEG did.

drad dog likes this.
  7. Soulman58

Soulman58 Forum Resident

96 Tears - ? (Question Mark & Mysterians # 1
    I Need Somebody # 22

Their next biggest only reached the mid 50's

a customer likes this.
  8. Javed Jafri

Javed Jafri Forum Resident

Redbone - Come and Get Your Love and The Witch Queen of New Orleans
    Jay and The Techniques - Apple, Peaches, Pumpkin Pie and Keep the Ball Rolling although they made some noise with Strawberry Shortcake

9. Javed Jafri

Soul Survivors - Expressway to Your Heart and Explosion in My Soul. Though I am not certain if the latter made the top 40.
    The Standells - Dirty Water and Why Pick on Me - but ditto as above.

10. Javed Jafri

Ozark Mountain Daredevils - If You Want to Get to Heaven and Jackie Blue.

11. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Steppenwolf had several top 40 singles.

12. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think Pop Goes The World is at least as good as The Safety Dance

Juggsnelson and 1983 like this.
  13. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident Thread Starter

Jimmie Jones is a new one to me, love Turning Japanese so will check it out

14. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

In those days, you could have a hit in a region of the country that didn't make a dent in others, but it was enough to put you in the national Top 40. There were songs that got a lot of play here in Detroit that you wouldn't have heard in Houston. In fact, if you look at an old copy of Billboard, you'll see separate radio play charts for different big cities, and the songs are different. If you had the #15 song in the country, probably everybody knew the song. If you had the #35, probably not. I'll stick to the rules put down by the OP, but I think Top 20 is more indicative of an actual hit.

15. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

The Beau Brummels just snuck into the Top 4o with their third single release, "You Tell Me Why" (#38).

But it does go to show how, in those days, what you heard on your local Top 40 station didn't necessarily reflect how well a song did nationally.

I love the song, but I never heard "You Tell Me Why" on the radio — whereas I did hear their fourth single release "Don't Talk to Strangers," which only hit #52. I have a clear memory of walking to a record store at least a mile away on a chilly "Autumn" evening to buy it, since I liked it so much.

16. souldeep69

souldeep69 Forum Resident

True, but the insanely catchy "Star" was written and sung lead on by the other Wheel, Joe Egan. "Star" is a big favorite of mine, and credit should go where credit is due. Rafferty gets plenty of credit and raves for the stuff he did do. "Star" was Joe Egan's baby

17. souldeep69

souldeep69 Forum Resident

No the Tremeloes had a third Top 40 in America, "Even The Bad Times Are Good" at #36. The two you mentioned did much better, both peaking just short of the Top 10, but the third hit did happen. They charted several more songs afterwards that didn't make the Top 40.

1983 likes this.
  18. Scott the Zip

Scott the Zip Forum Resident

The Romantics
    -What I Like About You
    -Talking In Your Sleep

YardByrd, pwhytey and Jamey K like this.
  19. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I hate when people just guess in threads like this.

20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

The Cyrkle

21. Tlaloc

Tlaloc Token young person

Have to check how high it charted, but I'm sure the song he's best known for is I'm a King Bee.

22. Spastica

Spastica Run aground on the floor for you....

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades....

AFOS likes this.
  23. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

His first single 'I'm a King Bee' b/w 'Got Love if You Want It' may have the two songs he would later be best known for following cover versions of both tracks, but when it was issued in 1957 it did not appear either on the Hot 100 or Billboard's r&b chart.

24. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

The Marcels

'Blue Moon' #1 (1961)
    'Heartaches' #7 (1961)

In between the two hits they released a version of 'Summertime' which peaked at #78 (but I prefer it to 'Heartaches')

25. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

I thought rock me was a hit

souldeep69 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.