Type O Negative - None More Negative Box reissued by ROG

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Krzych, Jun 21, 2019.

1. TongueDruid

TongueDruid The Delectable Dingleberry

Just a reminder to anyone who gets the box to check all of the albums when you get it. There's been some bad non-fill issues with a couple of the records for some people who bought them in-person at retail stores. I ordered direct thru ROG and all of my records were pressed perfectly, but there was a big chip/chunk broken off of the 2nd LP (sides C/D) of my Origin Of The Feces. Waiting to hear back from ROG on a replacement copy.... Was clearly broken at the factory since there's no sign of the missing piece inside of the box.

2. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I’m not completely through my box yet but all looks great. I have played Slow Hard and Deep & Bloody Kisses with no significant issues. Now playing October Rust and all is well thus far. I agree that these all sound great.

I will say one concern is the matte finish of the box itself. Looks super cool but, like the MoFi UD1S, these are very susceptible to wear damage. Probably need a box set sleeve on this one, a big one.

I’m new to this band but I’m really enjoying going through these. The uncensored cover of The Origin of Feces though? Wow. I think I’ll keep that one hidden in the box like always.

TongueDruid and c-eling like this.
  3. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Happy you guys are enjoying these :)
    One the few bands 'of this ilk' I really enjoy!
    The 'Thanks' on some of these albums are a hoot :laugh:

Neonbeam and TongueDruid like this.
  4. TongueDruid

Hahaha I almost warned you, knowing this was a new discography for ya. I love that album, the best fake-Live-comedy-metal album ever :laugh: Great Sabbath & Hendrix covers too.

Robot Mystic likes this.
  5. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

My favorite 90's song of all time is "Black No. 1" by Type O Negative.

TongueDruid and c-eling like this.
  6. c-eling

@sonofjim
    For some single edits and stuff the 2000 comp Least Worst Of is really nice as well :)
    [​IMG]

sonofjim, Mr. H and TongueDruid like this.
  7. TongueDruid

Awesome Comp! Those extra WCD-era tunes are absolutely fantastic. Plus that Black Sabbath cover & the studio version of Hey Pete! Type O always made every release well worth the price of admission... Even the obligatory Best Of record label cash grab!

Mr. H and c-eling like this.
  8. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

Stay Out Of My Dreams is one of my very favorite TON songs. And, ha, that Origin cover. I’ve seen it before, of course, but it was still shocking when I was looking through the new set. Blown up to LP size, too. :hurl:

Runicen and TongueDruid like this.
  9. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

No reports so far how these stack up against earlier pressings?

c-eling likes this.
  10. TongueDruid

I sold my 1st Slow Deep n Hard pressing to help fund this box (also both the Cargo Rcrds & MOV versions of Bloody Kisses.) I always remembered the original SD&H LP being kinda thin sounding; not exactly a fantastic recording to begin with. I did spin it one last time before shipping and it wasn't AS thin as I remember but wasn't impressive either. So I DID A/B the box set version vs the original CD this week and they're surprisingly similar! The new LP does have a little bump up on the low end, which sounds great, but in turn does take away a PINCH of brightness off of the snare (not noticeable anywhere else.) No overt compression to be heard, probably just a little to gain some volume, if at all.

So I'd say if anything the new pressing may sound better than the OG! I do still have a Cargo Rcrds October Rust (kept that since I got it signed by Johnny Kelly some yrs ago) and I'll A/B that vs the new one soon. I'd be surprised if Cargo didn't just press the cd on wax tho... I'll let ya know when I do!

c-eling, Neonbeam and Krzych like this.
  11. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Pete's brother Mike says he's the best. ;)

12. TongueDruid

Also of note: There is no "smoothing out" of the harshness/bite of the guitars or anything on the new master, which is something I always worry about when an abrasive album gets re-mastered.
    Also-also, I used a relatively bright MC cart when A/Bing against the cd, so if anyone's using a "warmer" MM cart they might find the record to be a pinch less almost-as-bright-as-the-cd as I heard.
    Ok, carry on...

13. Neonbeam

At Discogs they claim that these new versions come without any inserts or lyrics? Does "Bloody Kisses" have a booklet? Or is this really just barebones?

14. TongueDruid

No lyric inserts. 99% sure the original RSD release of this set didn't either. There is pictures, credits/thanx & a newer write-up about every album within each gatefold tho. Everything is printed w/ fantastic quality, with the records in nice poly-lined innersleeves, backstage laminate & cool poster. The box itself is a really cool soft-matte finish with a spot-varnished Type O insignia and typography, so I wouldn't call this presentation bare-bones at all. Lyric inserts definitely would've been nice, but it's certainly not a deal-breaker for me.
    This set isn't about maintaining the original pressings' layout anyway, which is obvious with the alternate cover treatments & new gatefold designs. I'd take it as more of a tribute box. Lyrics would've also been nice for the new fans just diving into this band, it's unfortunate they can't easily follow along with these genius lyrics! But I'd wager that's a very tiny fraction of the demographic that's dropping $200 on a vinyl boxed set

Greenalishi likes this.
  15. Neonbeam

So.... no inserts, booklets and artwork without typing? Sounds a bit like a book club release to be honest.

Now I really need a sonic shootout. So far I'm not impressed.

16. c-eling

I have the 2006 Rust and 2007 Kisses, both German- both have no frequency cut-off so they are either hi-rez 96 or analog.
    Dead Again 2008 full analog or 96.

kannibal, Neonbeam and TongueDruid like this.
  17. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

will they be releasing these separately. really just looking for October Rust. I have the others on CD.

18. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I should be getting the new boxset tomorrow, it'scheduled to be delivered tomorrow so Im definitely counting on that looking forward to how the new ones sound (as I didn't get that RDS-boxset in 2011).
    I have all their albums on cd but also these on vinyl:
    Type O Negative - Bloody Kisses RRCAR 9100-1 (2007)
    Type O Negative - October Rust RRCAR 8874-1 (2006)
    Type O Negative - Dead Again 30280 2LP GREEN (2007)
    Type O Negative - Dead Again SPV 99199 RED (2008)
    I've been revisiting some of TON lately, as it's september and days are getting colder (if not even darker earlier) so it's again that time of the year.
    Have to check those 2 different pressings of Dead Again that I have, are they similar sounding or was the green edition somehow bit better feeling and sounding? Can't recall.
    Never before heard any of the other albums on vinyl, I've seen some being sold at seconhand-stores or record fairs, but I've passed as some of the weren't really in that good shape and price was what it was.
    I would say that some of the early 90's metal-albums, like the debut from TON among other ones, you just don't see them too much on sale or I might have had bad luck. But fortunately, even what this new box is, it's anyways nice release (I suppose as I haven't yet seen it in the real).
    Before this set, I just had those couple albums on vinyl and rest on cd..I could cope with that but it's nice to have all the albums on pristine pressings.

Neonbeam, TongueDruid and c-eling like this.
  19. c-eling

Let us know what you think :)
    Same one's I have that you linked, minus the Green Dead Again.

20. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Just for fun, I did even listen some of the cd:s today..for example the original SD&H doesn't sound bad at all, Im now pretty hyped up, because I've never had the original-lp (if it's really thin sounding etc) I think the new edition will be really nice (as told by @TongueDruid here).
    I have 2 editions of the Bloody Kisses on cd, the regular is great but I think I might prefer the digipack-version of the album as it has that nice "Suspended In Dusk" and I've grown/listened to that tracklist anyways..different feeling album with those changes.
    Bloody Kisses was my first one that got into the world of TON, it was in 1994 (might have been 1993 though aswell) that my trusted local record store sold the digipack to me..

TongueDruid likes this.
  21. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Sure, I will add couple comments or little reviews of the new pressings here later..
    Indeed, we have same releases, I figured it out already as I saw your message, but decided to add the discogs-links.
    I even thought back in 2008 when I bought BK and OR (on a trip in Austria) that there would be far more different pressings of these albums out there, seems that wasn't the case at all.

Neonbeam and c-eling like this.
  22. TongueDruid

It does still have all the pictures within the gatefolds from the previous cd/vinyl inners. Think of it like this: the graphic design traded the lyrics instead for articles about the albums (including quotes from Josh remembering details.) Not a lazy design or a gyp.

Awesome! I still don't have any versions of Dead Again on vinyl so it'll be interesting to find out if there's any audible difference between the 2! Like I previously stated the new box's version of SD&H likely betters the 1st pressing, so that's a good sign for the rest of the catalogue. Let's hope!

Neonbeam and c-eling like this.
  23. TongueDruid

Same here!! Got that digipak for Xmas when it came out, and it started my love fer Type O! That version is certainly a more cohesive version of the album, and Suspended has always remained one of my absolute favorite TON tunes. That's why I had to keep the previous ROG 3-LP pressing

24. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

@TongueDruid You know what, I think the couple reviews on discogs really mirror my experiences. The Green edition of Dead Again sounds great while the red-edition from the boxset doesn't sound that good. Haven't done any A/B or anything like that, but the difference was major and it sounded more muddy etc.
    Im gonna check these out and do some little TON-marathon soon..

I didn't get the 3-LP edition when it came out, but it's surely interesting release because of the bonuses. Have to think about it...

TongueDruid likes this.
  25. Neonbeam

Please do. Because I'm super undecided. Will be in the USA later this year and I saw the box is 50€ cheaper if bought there. But I guess this heavy set won't be much fun to carry in transit.