Tyrannosaurus Rex. Pick your favorite album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sear, Jan 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

The other best 'Tyrannosaurus Rex' album is 'Best of T.Rex' named to ride the success of T.Rex. Maybe this was my first Tyrannosaurus Rex album - its full of great songs from start to finish and some fantastic bonus non-album songs, to boot.

[​IMG]

tages, Terry, bob60 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Sear

Sear Dad rocker Thread Starter

Do you like Zinc Alloy?

3. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I don't mind it, but it's the start of the T. Rex albums I don't play much. There's no T. Rex albums I don't like, but the albums from Unicorn - Tanx and the singles from after that on compilations are what I usually listen to. The rest don't get played very much. Zinc Alloy sounds like it's trying to hard to be something. I don't know what! Most of the songs aren't memorable.

marcfeld69 and bob60 like this.
  4. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I think it's far better than the first two Tyrannosaurus Rex albums and as good as Unicorn at least. One of my favourites. It does sound great.

sound chaser likes this.
  5. davetracey

davetracey Forum Resident

My favourites are the ones with Steve Took on. With his involvement the music had a weird, other worldly quality that disappeared when Micky Finn joined. Surely nobody created such a psychedelic ambience with so few material resources as Steve Took. They were truly equal partners, whereas Micky Finn seemed more like an employee. Of the albums with Steve, my favourite has always been Prophets Seers and Sages, followed by My People Were Fair, which seem to me to be the most magical. Unicorn is great too..but seems slightly different to the first two. The magic gets fainter and fainter from that point on.

Man at C&A likes this.
  6. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

I bought the "5 classic albums" set last week (as a result of reading the Uncut Ultimate Music Guide on T.Rex) which has all four of these albums in it. So far I've listened to each album once, so my verdict at the moment is more of a "hot take".

I enjoyed "Prophets" a lot and thought that would be my favourite, but then I played "A Beard Of Stars" - that's the one. It's clear that Marc had found out that nobody could understand a word he was singing, so on this one he makes the effort to enunciate more clearly, and in the process invented his T.Rex voice, and the wonderful melodies and general electric-ness point the way to Electric Warrior. It's the one that's likely to get its second listen first.

I struggled a bit with Unicorn, but it didn't help that I was getting tired during the second half. Of the three acoustic albums I found Prophets to be the most instantly accessible. I'd rate them in the order Beard > Prophets > Unicorn > People at the moment.

Mylene likes this.
  7. nowyouknow

nowyouknow Music addict

A Beard of Stars. It's not the same 'band' anymore though, closer to the self-titled T. Rex album.

8. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

With you on this. Loads of love for 'Zinc Alloy', but back to the original question.....probably 'Prophets' because of Stacey Grove, Salamanda Palaganda and Consuela.

Dave Decadent and mr.datsun like this.
  9. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

A BEARD OF STARS.

10. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Lovely songs.

Andy Smith likes this.
  11. wellhamsrus

wellhamsrus Surrender to the sound

Beard for me.

My first T Rex album was a cheap compilation:

[​IMG]
    • Ride a White Swan
    • Debora
    • Child Star
    • Cat Black (The Wizard's Hat)
      Conesuala
    • Strange Orchestras
    • One Inch Rock
    • Salamanda Palaganda
    • Lofty Skies
    • Stacey Grove
    • King of the Rumbling Spires
    • Elemental Child

12. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

And that would be my pick.

asdf35 and Terry like this.
  13. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Yeah, bought that at the same time I picked up the Bolan Boogie compilation. Both are ‘must have’ I reckon. Wonderful LPs

bob60 and Terry like this.
  14. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I like Zinc Alloy too. It's incredible dense and a bit confused, but funky and fun. Cocaine funk at its best.

15. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Or is Beard of Stars a T.Rex album in all but name?

16. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Or is the first T.Rex album still a Tyrannosaurus Rex album? :bdance:

17. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

A Beard Of Stars is the only album I really like.

18. Neonbeam

Same here, it's a great album. On a fair a couple of years ago somebody had the numbered version witth lattice sleeve but I felt 350€ was just too rich. Still, that's the version I'd like to have! :righton:

DTK likes this.
  19. Neonbeam

In general? :whistle:

20. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

You figure it out.

21. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

Why are people voting for T Rex Albums. A different band apart from Bolan.

DTK likes this.
  22. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Very true. But I couldn't help myself when Zinc Alloy was mentioned.

23. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Heheh. That's the received wisdom I was deliberately contradicting with my post!

24. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

When I first noticed T.Rex and the poetic wackiness, I found that I preferred the acoustic numbers on Electric Warrior and Slider. It took years before I discovered the earlier albums, and in them I found everything I'd ever wanted from T.Rex. It was my favorite T.Rex parts undiluted and multiplied by 1000 unicorns.

cmcintyre, Buddybud and mr.datsun like this.
  25. Neonbeam

"Apart from Bolan"? Who wrote everything. And Visconti. Who was the main sonic architect of the Rex sound.

Personally, I wouldn't call it "a different band". It's a slow organic transformation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.