U2 - No Line On The Horizon 10th Anniversary now up for preorder

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by modrevolve, Jan 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i think Unforgettable Fire is one that needs a re-do. it's very harsh and sibilant.

2. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I think that’s probably something that’s inherent in the mix. Never heard a digital or vinyl version that isn’t sibilant.

3. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

really? my US sterling cut sounds amazing compared to the vinyl reissue.

4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Finally managed to find an UK original for a very good price. Both discs look clouded - but sound great. Since there is no way these strange blemishes could have been caused by a former owner I'm wondering if the pvc wallet might have caused this? Anybody else having this?

The album itself is surprisingly good - and I'm saying this as someone who has his fair share of troubles with this band. :hide:

NunoBento, jimhb and GentleSenator like this.
  5. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

the pvc wallet affecting the discs?? there's 3-4 layers between them and it...

6. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

I’ve got a U.K. original with the pvc sleeve, no issues with my vinyl , it’s a great pressing and a much better way to listen than the CD..the clear vinyl Reissue PVC sleeve was so flimsy it split apart , where the original is industrial strength !

PDK likes this.
  7. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

I finally picked this up, because this album has really very much been growing on me.

I am really pleased with it. Nice gatefold, nice thick inner printed sleeves included, sounds great!

This one goes well with all the other U2 reissues I purchased, and I am glad I finally got it. I really under appreciated this record for years!

8. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

I agree, the last U2 album I liked with the exception of the dreadful boots!

jimhb and Gavaxeman like this.
  9. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Blood Boots ..bono ... “honestly lads ..this is the one..it will make us cool ..Boots ..sexy ..etc ....”

Larry should have put his foot down ..

jimhb, Ken.e., obi and 1 other person like this.
  10. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Boom-boom

davecaddie and Ken.e. like this.
  11. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

At least the guitar riff was good

tfunk182, Ken.e. and via_atx like this.
  12. via_atx

via_atx Forum Resident

I wish the price would come down on this...

13. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I really think it is their best album of the 200os and it is the only one I regularly play from this period.

14. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

via_atx likes this.
  15. Horwi

Horwi Active Member

I personally didn't think NLOTH was such a bad album. Save for one song, there aren't any memorable songs on it, but it sounds well as a whole. There were just three major problems with it. 1) Get On Your Boots, haha. When the remixes sound better than the original studio mix, you know you have a stinker. 2) Most songs sound like they were pretty good already, but eventually over-produced. For example Moment of Surrender, Unknown Caller, I'll Go Crazy. 3) Wrong choice of singles. Magnificent was a good one, but Crazy (mediocre album filler) and Boots (cringy) were awful choices to release. In my opinion, Stand Up Comedy, No Line On The Horizon and Breathe could easily have been singles as well. Especially the latter is my absolute top song of the album, and even one of my all time favourite songs of U2 to date (call me crazy).

I got a copy of the "ultra clear" reissue on vinyl yesterday and it sounds amazing. I'm just really disappointed with the bonus material. Instead of two 8-minute remixes nobody is going to listen to, they could have added some B-sides or songs "surrounding" this album. Just some ideas: Soon (Show Opening), Winter (from Linear), No Line on The Horizon 2 (B-Side), North Star (frequently played live and even featured briefly in a Transformers film), and Mercy (frequently played live and released on Wide Awake in Europe). Really a missed opportunity to also provide some worthwhile and/or unreleased work.

Gavaxeman, via_atx, JeffMo and 2 others like this.
  16. Horwi

Horwi Active Member

You could even include Return of the Stingray Guitar and Glastonbury, which they also played live often, and were later turned into a lyrical Lucifer's Hands, and the cringe-inducing American Soul.

17. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

that's a fair assessment. i still wonder what would have happened had the original sessions (of which "fez" was from, i believe) would have been completed and released.

JeffMo likes this.
  18. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Hope we get a DE someday with the Morrocan versions on a bonus.

19. via_atx

via_atx Forum Resident

Finally pulled the trigger on the clear 2LP version. Only 26 bucks on Amazon right now. Also snagged a used "like new" copy of Pop from Amazon Warehouse for 16 bucks. I have the original Pop US pressing which sounds good. Curious to compare the 2.

GentleSenator likes this.
  20. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

nice deal. i thought it would never come down.

21. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I'm going to spin No Line again today.

GentleSenator, via_atx, jimhb and 2 others like this.
  22. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Playing the clear vinyl now— it was on sale from Amazon— and it sounds great.

If they record again, can they please bring back Eno and Lanois and embrace their imaginative side?

23. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

hell, even an entire album of danger mouse produced stuff would be exciting. ;)

PDK and via_atx like this.
  24. via_atx

via_atx Forum Resident

Just no more Ryan Tedder!

GentleSenator and Horwi like this.
  25. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.