UFO - Strangers in the Night Deluxe 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RockDude4492, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

yeah i did miss that but i still can't see the point!

2. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Because not everyone can afford all of these box sets that are over $100 being released in the 4th quarter. With a highlights disc you don't have to totally miss out on everything if you cannot afford them all at one time.

The Thin Lizzy box set is already sold out on preorders at some places.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  3. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Not sure what country you’re in, but I’ve got this price working out at approx. $64 (USD) and £50, before postage.

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  4. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Someone earlier in the thread posted an Amazon link with it over $100 and the download over $50.

The Thin Lizzy box is over $100 with shipping, same with the Stones Goats Head Soup. I believe the Super Deluxe Edition of the Stones Atlantic City 1989 is around $100 as is the Zappa Halloween 1981.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    mark winstanley likes this.
  5. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Aside from the download, I don’t think the link above relates to the new version. The CD version is only available via 3rd party sellers and note the product description.
    Strangers in the Night By UFO (1999-09-01)

6. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I completely agree. The "super deluxe" phenomenon has become a bit of a con.
    Lock something in an overpriced box, with lots of superfluous stuff, slap a huge price on it, and laugh.
    This would interest me, as a series of concerts, but it is not worth more than 50 or 60 bucks to me.

Anthrax and SizzleVonSizzleton like this.
  7. RockDude4492

RockDude4492 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes so far there is not a CD preorder through Amazon, just the download (the CD link is for a previous edition from third party sellers). My guess is, given the price on Record Shop X, this will be available under $100, and if it’s similarly priced to what Record Shop X has it for, it will be a bargain.

Though if the track listing on that site is correct, one might wonder why the original album is spread out on two discs when previous editions have been on one.

8. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

I suspect that might be a mistake.

9. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

My list doesn't even include the releases that are less than $100 like the Hendrix Maui concerts for example. There are also rumors of a CSNY Deja Vu set and a Pretty Things Parachute Anniversary release.

Bonddm and mark winstanley like this.
  10. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

They are coming out thick and fast on all quarters.
    I get the impression it is some sort of last hurrah before the, sadly, what seems like, full conversion to streaming, where artists will make diddley

11. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Any rumours about what might be included on a Parachute set?
    The last reissue of that album was a bit underwhelming, I thought.

12. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

No idea but I am Facebook friends with Wally Waller and Jon Povey and they have mentioned is it being worked on now and I think they are contributing liner notes. In addition, there is a new Pretty Things album coming out at the end of the month which is all acoustic and just features Phil May and Dick Taylor. It will contain Phil's last recordings before he passed away.

Bonddm likes this.
  13. Good question! And if that's a mistake, I just hope there's not more mistakes in that listing. Fully agreed, the Record Shop X price would be a bargain.

Yes, but it was already pointed out that those prices were both very likely incorrect:

14. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Even if it is in the $60-$75 range it is still expensive due to the amount of these end of year releases I listed which I am considering for purchase.

15. Phasecorrect

Phasecorrect Forum Resident

Most in US have no clue where Kenosha is or even care.

16. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

It is expensive because you plan on buying more things? That's not how it works.

17. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

It's too costly/expensive for my budget to afford all of the releases I am interested in purchasing.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  18. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

That's how it works. And I totally hear you. I'm very interested in this UFO thing, but also the King Crimson box and the Thin Lizzy box and the Hendrix Maui release... There may be other releases about to be announced that I don't know about yet. I figure I won't buy all of them in the end, though. After all, funds are limited (this year they're especially limited) and so is storage space, so I'll prioritise. I reckon I'll get more mileage out of the UFO than the Lizzy, so I may cancel the latter and just let it go. Maui won't sell out as quick, so I can bide my time on that one. Blah blah blah et cetera.

For the fan and collector it is indeed frustrating how so much stuff get released all at once in the latter months of the year, but I know I shouldn't buy everything just because I want it, and I just make my peace with that fact. It's either that, or spend months saving up for the end-of-year splurge. Maybe if these boxes were all staggered throughout the year I'd be ready to buy more of them, but the record labels make their choices and I make mine.

19. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I forgot about the King Crimson box, The Doors Morrison Hotel and also they are releasing the Tom Petty Windflowers and All the Rest box set as well.

20. Claus

Claus Senior Member

My choice to end of the year... Tangerine Dream and Tom Petty box.

21. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Yeah there's a lot of stuff coming out but you just gotta choose. just because you want it all doesn't mean you can have it all :)

My big end of year purchases are looking like being UFO, Thin Lizzy, Prince and Porcupine Tree.

slipkid likes this.
  22. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

And if they issue highlights versions similar to what Zappa is doing or smaller versions of larger sets like the Stones or Tom Petty, you can least get some of the material instead of skipping it altogether.

jay.dee likes this.
  23. gad999

gad999 Forum Resident

It's up on Amazon UK - 7 discs £45.99 :pineapple: oops, make that 8!!

24. RockDude4492

RockDude4492 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Great! Hoping for US links soon! Interesting that the date for the CD set is now November 20 as opposed to October 23rd. I’d obviously prefer the October 23rd date but I’m just happy it’s coming out at all

25. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Link?