UFO - Strangers in the Night - Live - Best vinyl version?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjstauber, Mar 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjstauber

rjstauber Senior Member Thread Starter

I really like this live album, I think it captures the band at their peak.

I would like to know more about which vinyl versions are highly recommended and ultimately offer the overall best sound quality.

I have compared two different vinyl pressings so far:

1. Original German vinyl pressing from 1979

Chrysalis 6641 909
    (has the little triangle on the back stating: HIGH QUALITY PRESSING - MADE IN GERMANY and on the front the white circle UFO LIVE 2LP which is printed on, not a sticker)

Discogs link: UFO (5) - Strangers In The Night

[​IMG]

2. Original Dutch vinyl pressing
    , also an early pressing, I assume (but not 100% sure)
    Chrysalis 300 270

Discogs link: UFO (5) - Strangers In The Night

[​IMG]

Of these two pressings, the German pressings sounds noticeably better to me, a fuller and warmer sound with better imaging, and the Dutch pressing sound a bit bright in direct comparison.

I could post some sound samples from the German vinyl pressing, if some folks want to compare it to other pressings they might have (like original UK or US pressings), but then you would also hear the influence of the playback equipment/cartridge/pre-amp (I have a Rega RP6 with Ortofon 2M Black and Rega Fono pre-amp).

Would love to hear from other people which vinyl versions they have compared so far.

By the way, my preferred CD version is the UK CD with catalog number CCD 1209/CDP 3212092.

Rufus rag likes this.
  2. rjstauber

Has anyone ever compared any vinyl versions to other sources, even perhaps CD's?

3. SteveS1

SteveS1 Forum Resident

I have compared a rip of the UK original vinyl with my Japan CP21 and prefer it. Not sure that helps because I have no idea if the UK compares well with the German. Sounds good with a full sound and no brightness issues. The CD sounds pretty good but slightly less full and a slightly more brittle edge to the upper mid in places. The album will never be a sonic marvel but this can happily be cranked, easily my favourite UFO album.

rjstauber likes this.
  4. rjstauber

Is that a pbthal rip?

Would love to hear a sample.

Freezerburn likes this.
  5. Miah

Miah Active Member

In my opinion the 1st pressing Japanese l.p. is by far the best I've heard of strangers in the night. So good in fact that I sold off the UK and Dutch pressings as they were sitting in the rack unplayed. As a sidenote - the CD reissue with extra tracks issued 10 years ago approx- is unlistenable to my ears being too shrill and lacking the punch of the vinyl.

6. Miah

Miah Active Member

Forgot to add also that I had the blue vinyl reissue from the UK-plastichead was the label- and that was worse than the CD!!

7. rjstauber

Have you heard that German vinyl pressing that I have mentioned earlier? That one also easily beats the Dutch pressing.

Did you notice a big difference between the UK and Dutch pressings you had, or were they on a similar level?

8. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I've always been happy with my promo US copy. Mastered at The Mastering Lab.

ODShowtime, HeavyDistortion and Opeth like this.
  9. Miah

Miah Active Member

No - not much difference between the two you mentioned but then I came across the Japanese l.p. and that was significantly better sounding- in particular the instrument separation and above all the bass. Just a great sounding pressing.
    Haven't heard the German or US however but I am happy with what I have! Keep in mind that it's a first pressing- can't vouch for later repressing - ok? On the studio albums I found the early UK copies just fine - not much difference to the same albums on Japanese vinyl. SITN is the only album that would be significantly better sounding imo. Hope that helps!

rjstauber likes this.
  10. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

I have the same US promo LPs and agree that they sound really nice; and I've never had the urge to look for any other copies.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

11. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

I like this an original US issue
    [​IMG]
    UFO - Strangers In The Night
    2 LP TML in deadwax 4 sides
    Excellent live album

12. rjstauber

Really curious how the US pressings compare to the German vinyl pressing I have. Not sure if any high quality needledrop samples of the US pressing do exist. That would be a good starting point for a comparison.

13. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I only have one copy of this on vinyl, a normal US TML copy, but it DESTROYS!

14. gregnow

gregnow Forum Resident

Well having had mint and first pressings from Japan Holland U.K. France Germany and Canada I could conform the German one had its best stereo- imaging of them all but lacked a good bit of punch in bass departament - French sounds the same but not as wide.
    UK and Japan ones are the same for Sides 3 and 4 but Sides 1 and 2 differ - the UK one has less treble and an inch more bass in sound.
    I like the USA one the best its the punchiest of them all full of bass and treble ( Canadian is similar for sides 1-2 but not so for sides 3-4) .
    Nothing wrong really with the Holland one too but I really enjoyed the USA one the best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.