UHQ CD now yet a other format..

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Optimize, Jun 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Optimize

Optimize Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well my friend were in High End Munich show now 2019.
    And goes into a room there promote a new "format" the "Ultimate Quality CD" (UHQ CD).

The thing is that me and my friend get to know each other at a work place at a world leading optical media tester manufacturer.

So we know our stuff regarding optical media. And he started to talking to a lady that appears to only be speaking Japanese. So it went not so well.. :laugh:

But he told me that she gave him a 2 disc set sample. That they usually didn't do. :cool:

It consists of two identical discs there one is a standard CD and the other one is a UHQ CD.

[​IMG]

This UHQ CD (UHQCD-SAMPLE2) is based on a patent (JP6445919(B2)). They use a "Photopolymer" that has better fluidity. It should penetrate better into every corner of the stamper. Than pure "Pollycarbonate" do.

They claim that it achieves more than 10% improvement in the edge area. :sigh:

So it will get better defined pots and lands.

Well I am was very sceptical with my deep knowledge in the area. And working with development of CD-testers for 10 years from Sony's and philips red book and later on the orange ones for the different writable variants. But I do not see the problem they want to solve.
    (Maybe there is other aspects that is beneficial for the manufacturer but nothing that we consumer notice. Like maybe shorter cycle times for moulding a CD or less wear on the stamper.)

[​IMG]

I took home the two discs and have gone back and forth between them. And I can honestly say that I would not pass a blind test..

Anybody else that have any opinion/experience of the format?
    (It sounds little like the BSCD2 (Blu-spec CD) format. That also were going for better defined pits. But they saying the lower jitter.)

Bingo Bongo and Galley like this.
  2. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Yet another new format. This will end well... :sigh:

Scratcha and ZippyPippy like this.
  3. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

It’s not a new format...it’s still a red book CD.

4. Cyclone Ranger

Well, 'yet another format' is the thread title.

But if not, then what's the point?

5. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I’m not sure what you are arguing about? It’s a red book CD using a different material but at the end of the day it’s a CD therefore it’s not a new format. There’s nothing to argue about as it’s just a fact.

shaboo, goodiesguy, samurai and 6 others like this.
  6. Cyclone Ranger

No one's arguing, unless it's you.

I pointed out that the OP stated it was a new format, i.e. I took him at his word. If you wish to argue, feel free to do so with him, on account of me not caring very much either way.

But again... what's the point of it? Is the idea to rescue CD, which sales-wise is falling off a cliff?

Seems very unlikely that anything at this stage can reverse that. :sigh:

Karnak likes this.
  7. Archimago

Archimago Forum Resident

Yeah, the Japanese really like their variations on Red Book whether the way it was produced or the materials used...

XRCD, XRCD2, Blu-Spec, SHM-CD...

No biggie. Last year, they "married" this material type of CD with MQA-CD. I assume this "union" didn't get very far.

Archimago's Musings: "MQA-CD x UHQCD" Listening Test by Agitater.

8. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Want a new format?

Step one: Make sure it sounds different/better than the old format.

Looks like they didn't past that step.

9. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Why are companies still doing this when we have a format that provides lossless on disc? Master those well. Make them the new standard.

10. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Yawn...

11. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Heeyyyyyy, thhaaaaannnnnnnks. I think I liked it better when it was called, "New Coke".

wrappedinsky and Optimize like this.
  12. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

shaboo and Gaslight like this.
  13. Optimize

14. Optimize

Yes they do :)
    Great to see that there is some refinement still done.

15. Optimize

But if they just want to find partners or to sell the patent. Then it may make sense to promote this "production" method on one of the biggest hi end shows.
    So it may be more interesting to use the patent for the production facilities? Who knows. And maybe the attract record labels in hope to gain better sales and pull a demand in the CD producing facilities to use this "format" by them.

But it like you say great if it sounded better. And like they stated on the sample album cover "feel the difference". :sigh:

16. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

A much improved mousetrap, here you go, good stuff!

samurai and billnunan like this.
  17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Hmm, I thought the CD was dead?

18. Cyclone Ranger

More like dying. But does this really change that? :shrug:

Michael likes this.
  19. Optimize

No it really do not change that in my opinion.

Look at vinyl.
    One day somewhere the right one/s hipster/s will be spotted with a Sony portable CD player in the pocket. :winkgrin:

And everyone that is not old enough will go "wow what a cool format!" And follow.
    Then the start of CD revival will start.. ..or not.
    But much stranger things have occurred. Like the vinyl revival for example. :sigh:

Gumboo and fogalu like this.
  20. Cyclone Ranger

Will add that used-CD will be around for a long time to come.

21. Scratcha

Scratcha Forum Resident

It seems very similar to the concept of using MAM-A or B CD-Rs versus basic CD-Rs; Very noticeable difference in the record quality and sonic properties of the audio.

I keep reading that CDs are going "by the way-side"; not yet........not yet.

22. Optimize

Why do you think that there is any similarity between the MAM-A and CD-R? In the regards to this UHQ CD?

23. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Heck, maybe this new fantastic format will be able to make a new "Aja" remaster sound better, even if not sourced from the original (and maybe burnt) master tapes. :nyah:

Jrr and Optimize like this.
  24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I don't know, does it? maybe not if ppl are willing to STILL invest in the CD...this hype of killing the CD, CD is dying, DEAD, etc. is getting old...just let nature take it's course without the wishful thinking. : )

25. Cyclone Ranger

Most ppl probably aren't engaging in wishful thinking.

Most ppl are probably just looking at the declining sales figures, the declining amount of shelf space, and the declining mindshare, and going, "Gee, looks like CD is dying." :(

Sucks, but that does seem to be what's happening. Not that anyone who loves the format should give up on it.

People should buy what they like, regardless.

Karnak and Michael like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.