UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

I found a copy of Labyrinth in a US thrift a few months ago. Only one I've ever seen "in the wild".

Dave Gilmour's Cat likes this.
  2. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

I found a copy in my wife's small cd collection after we got married, as I only had the lp I claimed it!

MC Rag and Mark B. like this.
  3. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Picked up a few 45's in the local "Air Ambulance" shop Jeff Beck - People get Ready, got it for the non album "B" side "Back on the Street", A Keith Emerson thing I've never heard of and the best thing (don't laugh) Mel Blanc "I taut I taw a puddy tat/ I'm glad that I'm Bugs Bunny", two quid for the three.

4. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

Mint album.CD £1 [​IMG]

5. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

It’s in very good condition, too. Maybe only played once.

6. Marky D

Marky D Forum Resident

Kevin Ayers - Too Old To Die Young, 2 CD set of BBC In Concert shows for £1.00 today.

7. Harry Hotspur

Harry Hotspur Forum Resident

Beyond excited! Off to the Wagonwheel Flea Market near St Pete, Florida. Loads of second hand/pre-used CD stalls, most discs going for a buck. Always return home with a rich haul. Last year picked up for a dollar fab Harry Chapin tribute concert featuring Springsteen, Graham Nash and others. Full report follows tomorrow...

8. HughMacpherson

HughMacpherson Forum Resident

Oooooohhhh...!!! Thats a good 'un for a quid...!! :agree:

9. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident Thread Starter

Keep us updated

10. biilyedwards

biilyedwards Todd Browning's freak

Popped into town. Haven’t been for weeks but it was the same stuff, although I did buy You’ve Got A Friend: The Best of James Taylor. I quite like him and it’ll make good listening during homework.

11. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Today’s finds:

• Spirit – Time Circle, 1968–1972 (1991), 2-CD, £1
    • Crazy Horse – Crazy Horse (1971), 50p

Siegmund, jonathan, Rossman and 6 others like this.
  12. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

Two Enya CDs, £1 each - Shepherd Moons, and Amarantine. Found them at the Tynedale Hospice at Home second-hand bookstore, in Hexham, Northumberland. A really good, and varied selection here, single CDs are all priced at £1, and lots of books too (but no records). A small town well worth visiting.
    Bookshop of the Month - Tynedale Hospice at Home - The Book Trail

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  13. mc7t

mc7t Forum Resident

Got lucky last week, just by chance I called into a local charity shop and was going through the usual James Last/ Readers Digest box sets when a nr mint Queens Greatest hits II original 1991 pressing appeared.

At £4, it was a no brainer, but only after checking here, did I realize that the reissue contains edited versions unlike the first press.

14. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Did you find the second hand record shop in Hexham? A good friend of mine owns it.

15. AlmostHeavenWV

No, I wasn't aware of it, and I'd done an internet search for "Hexham record shop" before going, and nothing showed up; at least nothing that was obvious as somewhere that sold music. What's it called?

16. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It hasn't been there long. It's good though. In the town centre there's an indoor kind of shopping market, but it's mostly full of vintage stuff. Old record players, cameras etc. The top floor is my friends shop - The Vinyl Attic. It's well worth going if you're still there.

AlmostHeavenWV likes this.
  17. AlmostHeavenWV

Oh, I saw that emporium online, but no mention of The Vinyl Attic. Shame. Home now, but I'll be going back to Hexham another time.

Man at C&A likes this.
  18. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

He's had a small place in that emporium for a few months, but it's been going well and someone else who traded in there moved out, so he now has the entire top floor. I go through to Hexham a few times each year and have always liked that place.

AlmostHeavenWV likes this.
  19. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

Local Hero by Mark Knopfler, 1983 blue fan/spiral Vertigo CD, today at Oxfam Bury St Edmunds.

20. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident Thread Starter

I see that one quite a lot and Cal

21. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

Only had time for one shop today but 50p shelf in BHF got me..

Rose Royce Greatest Hits
    Style Council Greatest Hits
    OMD Greatest Hits
    Eurythmics Greatest Hits
    Sex Machine Very Best of James Brown (I've got Star Time but couldn't leave it for 50p)

They also had Springsteen The River in a 2CD fatboy but I generously left that behind as already got it... Also saw Pink Floyd The Wall with first disc missing and nowhere to be found...

22. mradmack

mradmack Roxanne + Geoff.

This afternoon, myself and fellow Hoffmanite BurntOutBassment descended upon the Charity shops of Milngavie (pronounced Mull-Guy) and Bearsden. Two rather affluent suburbs of Glasgow. My sights were set for LP's: No CD's, DVD's or Books today thank you. First stop was Marie Curie Bearsden. This shop is situated on the main street, a short walk from the train station: our principle method of transport this day. A small shop which sadly had nothing of note for me. My Compadre almost certainly purchased a disc or two here. Next door was a bright and well stocked Oxfam. We both expected Oxfam to keep to their policy of ripping the P*** regarding pricing and condition. Surprisingly pricing was fairly reasonable, although I did not buy here. The CD's were arranged both alphabetically, and in genres: Pop, Classical. They had a rather large (and tempting) selection of Military history books. A large part of which were very detailed short run pressings of the WW2 activities of a particular unit/individiual. Onwards to Milngavie! First stop Cancer Research UK. Zero music on any format whatsoever!!! Could this be the future??? Then off to Oxfam. Handsome large shop with a small selection of music: maybe 40 LP's. Of interest was a Spear of Destiny 12 inch (forget which) and some UK Industrial. All priced and graded as per Discogs. Sanity prevailed: No sale.Across the road to Baryardos. A massive ammount of CD's, no vinyl. My buddy drew deep from their stocks. Or interest was a David Bowie Buddha of Suburbia Holographic CD single. Odd thing! That came home. Saw a sealed copy of PJ Harvey Stories... on CD £1. Finding this and Dry quite regularly now. Original Island "Achtung Baby" CD for £1. They had a good selection of Blu-Ray & DVD titles. American Warewolf special edition, A cure for Wellness and The Aviator, still sealed came home too. Close to 5pm we stuck upon DEBRA. Lots of nice furniture mixed with a smattering of small electrical goods. A Rotel RA810a, Sony CD player c/w Mission speakers for £25!! They would have found their way back to chez mradmack, but I'm good with hardware just now. Spotted two large bins of records on the floor and dug in. The first two were "Songs of Leonard Cohen" 1967 US pressing. Visible scratches, but plays swell after cleaning. Before The Flood by Bobby D, UK 1974 Island repress. A 1969 fully laminated CBS Holland, Wendy Carlos' "
    The Well-Tempered Synthesizer" in excellent nick came home, as did a Terre Haute pressing of "Flatt & Scruggs: Greatest Hits". £2 each! They had a rather lovely 1959 copy of "The Bewitching Miss Bassey". The cover of which was really so bright and clean, unlike it's contents. I may go back and take Shirley home...

In good time, I'm sure BurntOutBassment could provide an inventory of this days swag! I look forward to such!

All in all, an interesting and fruitful afternoon which shows there's still good stuff out there that's not been priced or graded by fantasist cretins.

23. Rossman

Rossman Forum Resident

Really pleased with the 2 CD s that I got from charity shops today as they are by artists that I have been looking to get some music by for quite some time. Also very pleased that one of the discs was a BGO twofer as I usually really like the sound quality on their discs.

Ramsey Lewis - Hang on Ramsey/Wade in the Water 99p
    Sam & Dave - Soul Men £1

I almost bought an early RCA issue of the Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams but in checking the disc it had a long deep scratch :mad:

I also got some discs from a different branch of Goodwins (The Redcar branch has had nothing new in for a few months)

Nitin Sawhney - Broken Skin
    David Sanborn - Close Up
    James Galway - Tango del Fuego
    Kirk Whalum - Unconditional
    Francis Lai - Bilitis OST ,
    Raw Stylus - Pushing Against the Flow
    Michael Deep - Sea of Joy
    Jonathan Butler - Jonathan Butler
    Jarabe de Palo - De Vuelta y Vuelta

All 3 for 99p

24. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

One today from Marie Curie: Rolling Stones Flowers hybrid SACD.

I once owned the remaster (Argentinian CD), but sold it to a guy from Norway (at the time, Amazon give you more in credit than it cost to post from the US to Europe). At 50p, I thought it was time to come back into the collection. It still has the certificate of authenticity inside and thankfully the price label came off without tearing the digipak.

Came across an interesting CD: Psychedelia. I thought it was a potentially worthwhile compilation, but it turned out to be for professionals working in the music industry.

25. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

A rainy afternoon in Southwold supplied:

St. German - Tourist 2CD - £1 (I already have the single disc version, but couldn't resist this one with a disc of remixes. It's on Blue Note, and is kind of house music as played by a jazz ensemble.)

Vashti Bunyan - Heartleap (digipak) £1.50

Thea Gilmore - Strange Communion - £1.50 (Looks like a winter/Christmas themed album, so I'll stash it away until December.)