UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

cancer research - Julee Cruise ~ Floating in the Night/Outkast ~ Speakerboxx etc: 50p a pop
    oxfam - Gregory Isaacs ~ Night Nurse/Dillinger ~ Cocaine: 2 quid

bumped into my charity shop nemesis again. you know, that guy who is always in front of you in every chazza you go into

he's always there, taking his sweet, sweet time!

nice chap though

2. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Wonderful album :)

EG.

garrincha likes this.
  3. BurntOutBassment

BurntOutBassment Forum Resident

The single has a cool jazz version of Language of Violence, don't think that's on the album.
    Quote from the back cover; " If you only read one book this year make it this record"

Eric_Generic and mradmack like this.
  4. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

Finally, some CDs today!

Madonna - MDNA World Tour, 2CD
    Go-Go's - Vacation, US '87 edition
    Erik Norlander - Seas of Orion, Russian edition

Pound each.

MC Rag, Dave S, LivingForever and 3 others like this.
  5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Vacation is a great find. That doesn't show up anywhere much on CD.

minibreakfast and Eric_Generic like this.
  6. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Wow, that's a find.

EG.

minibreakfast likes this.
  7. Albiegator

Albiegator Forum Resident

A trawl through west London charity shops this morning. No records to speak of but the following CDs:

The Whole Story - Kate Bush (CDP made in Holland) 1986 release
    Deaf Forever - Best of Motorhead (Castle UK 1999)
    Legacy - David Bowie (still sealed)

MC Rag, garrincha, Man at C&A and 4 others like this.
  8. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

Paul Heaton ~ What Have We Become
    & Jaqui Abbott ~ Wisdom, Laughter and Lies
    UB40 ~ Dub Sessions

3 for £1

9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

A friend got this from a charity shop last week
    [​IMG]

and unbelievably as well as incredibly this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have them both now. I can't believe it!

10. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

Pet Shop Boys ~ Discography
    U2 ~ Rattle And Hum
    Henning Wehn dvd

3 for £1

11. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Wow, I haven't seen a copy of Tone Float since the nineties, that's the score of the year.

12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I've posted more about getting it in the 'Recent Vinyl Purchases' thread. I'm just about to eat but when I'm done I'll copy it here. :)

Eric_Generic and Dubmart like this.
  13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Here we go:

'A friend got it from a charity shop. The record is near mint but the sleeve isn't great. There's a sticker tear on the front (almost all of them have this) and a large but very well repaired tear on the back. It's not as bad as all that sounds but far from mint.

I didn't really know much about it so I offered £30, which he accepted. He didn't know what it was at all. When I found out more about it and how much it can sell for I went back and gave him a few LPs from my collection that I knew he really wanted and I didn't play much. He was very happy with those. He gets £30 and 5 LPs that he'd been looking for for ages as a result of a £1 charity shop find and I get a very rare LP for not much cash. We're both happy. I told him it can go for hundreds but he's not bothered'

and

'I'm not bothered at all (about the sticker). Almost all of them have sticker damage. My friend is a 70 year old hippy and he's stuck a sticker of a flower where the sticker tear was. Bless him. I absolutely love the guy!'

14. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I thought that was part of the cover! :hide::laugh:

EG.

15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

So did I at first, but I have seen him do it on other albums. He's a real character, very funny and isn't at all motivated by money. He only picked it up because he thought the sleeve looked good and he didn't know what it was. He'd absolutely hate it!

16. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I've wiped from my memory all the now four figure records I found at boot sales in the eighties and then moved on as it's best not to think about them, though I always got decent money for the time, I have a feeling I may have had the Organisation LP, I always went for those obscure RCAs in the hope of some interesting Jazz Rock, but it wasn't that and didn't float my boat at the time, most likely I'd be a lot more into it these days.

MC Rag and Man at C&A like this.
  17. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Anything else with it? That's the sort of record where the rest of the collection is interesting regardless of what genres are there.

18. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

The Greco is nice as well, I have one of those.:)

Man at C&A likes this.
  19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It isn't on four figure levels of rarity, but I don't think I'll ever see another one. I'm far from sure I'll even like it! I love Kraftwerk but it has no similarity to Autobahn onwards stuff.

Bit of trivia: They were already called Kraftwerk at that point but RCA persuaded them to change their name to something less German. The album was never released in Germany, there was only ever this UK pressing.

20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I got that for £2 and it's near mint. A nice one to have. I was hoping Serge Gainsbourg was involved because he's pictured on the back, but I don't think he is on that one. I love Serge!

21. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

In the real world it's a £500 record, but in Discogs world it's a grand plus.;)

Man at C&A likes this.
  22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

He got more but I never saw the collection. There was an album by 'Fat' on RCA, a rare one by 'Warm Dust' on a label I didn't know, one by 'Liquid Smoke' on Avco Embassy and one by 'Fresh' on RCA. He knows his stuff but he's not a record dealer. He only really picks up stuff that looks interesting to him, so it's probable he'll have left some interesting stuff.

Dubmart and Eric_Generic like this.
  23. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I'm in the process of doing a lot of rearranging, been sorting out my African and Indian music, have been eyeing up the Francoise LPs as well and the rest of the French music may follow if I can create enough room, but my main priority is to finish sorting out my soundtracks, been trying to do that for 9 months, but kept on underestimating the space required and number of soundtracks I own, if I have room left over for my French collection I'll post some pics.

Eric_Generic and Man at C&A like this.
  24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I've looked on Popsike and realistically it's probably around £200 because of the condition of the sleeve. All the others he got had perfect sleeves but almost all the Organisation LPs had a large 'Discounted now 15p' (!) sticker put on at the distributors or label. It's thin and unlaminated so most either have that sticker or a tear.

25. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Yeah, I was talking near mint, how someone got £1500 on Discogs is beyond me.

Man at C&A likes this.