UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. mark e

mark e Forum Resident

i found this a couple of years ago.
    never heard of the band before, but it is a really lovely symphonic/prog/sunday morning listen.
    doubt i will ever come across volume 2 though as i think that's a lot less common out there.

Dave S and newelectricmuse like this.
  2. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

Let me guess: 'Sailing to Philadelphia'? It's a great song, but it remains the only solo Knopfler track I've ever heard.

JonW likes this.
  3. mark e

mark e Forum Resident

actually, to correct my own post, i have just checked, and my GM cds have different pairings.
    Rockin' Chair is matched with Something So Right.
    so i guess your cd is not $tateside/EMI then.

Gwen McCrae - Rockin Chair / Something So Right | Discogs

4. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

You almost certainly haven't, there's a very slim chance someone who was buying that kind of stuff would leave the Sandy Denny for £10. A superb find. Enjoy. :)

5. JonW

JonW That's just the name of the shop, love!

It's this one on Westside. Looks like I should revise my comment about CD availability as I have now seen that there seem to be many two-fer releases, but if you want "Rockin' Chair" on its own then Japanese releases might be your only option.

It seems the album was first released as "Gwen McCrae" (without the track "Rockin' Chair"), then "Rockin' Chair" was a hit single so the album was re-issued and retitled as "Rockin' Chair", with the track "Rockin' Chair" added and "Your Love Is Worse Than a Cold Love" removed. The album is 28 minutes long, couldn't they have found space for both of them? :laugh: I seem to remember reading something about royalties being based on the number of tracks, so perhaps that was the reason. Anyway both are on the CD.

Man at C&A and mark e like this.
  6. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

When I found a copy of that it definitely seemed to be part of a large donation of folk and female singer stuff. In the same lot I got both Trees albums, a Shirley and Dolly Collins, an early Barbara Dickson folkie album and a £££ Julie Covington. Pound each, never to be repeated!

7. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

BOTH Trees albums!
    :yikes:

Man at C&A, MC Rag and JonW like this.
  8. JonW

I don't think it was that one. I have a feeling it was something from "Tracker" as the cover art rings a bell. Sadly as well as not remembering which track it was, I also don't remember who recommended it, I thought it was a friend but now I think it must have been somewhere on this forum. The memory's getting old... :sigh:

AveryKG likes this.
  9. JonW

Nothing Special.... ;) But seriously I can only echo your :yikes:

newelectricmuse likes this.
  10. minibreakfast

It was two years ago and I still haven't shut up about it. :)

11. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Not a purchase, but I was just given these, watched and transferred one tape so far, somewhat annoying that it's not the complete series, but excellent programmes none the less.
    Just noticed I hadn't put the one I just watched in the lineup, I also have "Crossroads".

[​IMG]

12. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Yeah, I had never heard of them. I thought they might be a prog metal type band. Didn't realise they were related to The Yardbirds.

13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'd be getting a lifetime of not shutting up out of that haul! Incredible. I've had loads of great records from charities including plenty of rare and valuable ones, but I've never had a lot like that in one go.

minibreakfast likes this.
  14. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

4 more today (50p-£1).

Barbra Streisand - Songbird Japan for Europe
    ****** Up - The Chemistry of Common Life
    Probably hideously compressed.
    Beethoven - Piano Concerto No. 5 (Ashkenazy, Weiner Philharmoniker/Mehta) Original WG
    Various - Fill Your Head with Prog Uncut covermount

I also got the following from a local record store.

Donald Fagen - The Nightfly WG target variation that I was missing.
    Journey - Escape Original US DADC for US.
    Roxy Music - Avalon Original red face Polydor.

15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I've been getting some really good CDs recently. Firstly I'm going to shamelessly promote the great Hot Rats shop in Sunderland, because I used to work there, the owner is one of life's good guys and of more interest to people here, it still sells loads of CDs proudly on display without shoving them in a corner like an embarrassment! Yesterday I got these for less than £4 each.

Fleetwood Mac - Live at the BBC (double CD)
    Prince Buster - FABulous Greatest Hits (the 1993 24 track version on Sequel. This is expensive online and there hasn't been a better CD Prince Buster compilation)
    Gil Scott-Heron -. Small Talk at 125th and Lenox
    Neu '75
    and
    Ride - Going Blank Again
    Curve - Doppelganger
    for £2.50 each.

I highly recommend anyone going there who's in the north east and can. Cheap CDs, fairly priced vinyl and a passionate, funny and knowledgeable owner. There's nothing not to love! I also picked up a near mint original Alan Hull - Pipedream LP for £10. I'd wanted to hear that for quite a while. It didn't let me down. Such a great songwriter.

Shameless plug for my friend's shop over!

In a charity today I got two unusual ones for 50p each:

Soul Jazz Records Presents In The Beginning There Was Rhythm - great post punk stuff from A Certain Ratio, The Slits, Human League, Gang of Four, Cabaret Voltaire and the likes.

El Duende Flamenco de Paco De Lucia. A Spanish Philips CD of his 1972 album. Nice stuff and of course, incredible playing.

16. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

York Car Boot this morning - all felt a bit low energy, TBH. I only came away with a few CDs:

Dylan/The Band - The Basement Tapes (fatboy, tattier than I first thought, gave it to my mum)
    Tom Waits - Swordfishtrombones (only the second Waits I've found in the wild that hasn't been a rotting UK PDO!)
    Kate Bush - Hounds of Love (an interesting looking early pressing, made in the UK but with partially hand-etched matrix)

Also found a tonne of books for my daughter, a few small-box German boardgames, a framed set of Alphonse Mucha seasons prints, and had a nice walk.

17. Duncan Day

Duncan Day Middle Aged Savage

I find nothing really interesting for weeks then hit a vein. Popped into a little boot sale this morning and found a coloured vinyl RSD The World of David Bowie with the Space Oddity Bowie cover for £8.00. It was a tenner but I bought a pile of Queen 12”s and some other bits as well so got a bit of discount.
    So, The World of Bowie - still sealed as well
    Queen - I Want To Break Free 12”, A Kind of Magic 12”, One Vision (PVC Red cover) 12”, Friends Will Be Friends 12”, Pain Is So Close To Pleasure USA 12” , and Breakthru 12”. All with extended mixes that I’ve never heard, all near mint and in polythene sleeves - £2.50 a piece.
    Last but not least - The Ruts - The Crack original vinyl, the first Damned album on vinyl (a 90s reissue) and a mint copy of John Foxxs Metamatic, which I’ve been after for years. All three £4.00 each.
    I know those deals aren’t as good as some of your charity shop ones but I don’t think they’re bad. I’m happy anyway :)

Got a Beatles book too - Dreaming The Beatles, and 5 Jon Pertwee Doctor Who DVDs :D
    That’s my weekend sorted :bdance:

Chuffed with the Bowie release. Wouldn’t have bought that if I hadn’t seen it.

18. Duncan Day

I’ve started looking for books a bit more. Usually I have a quick nose at a few random stalls or shops but also walk past a lot. Since I found those Tin Tin books recently I’ve spent more time looking and have already found a dozen or so really nice books. Last week I got an excellent condition copy of the Beatles Anthology book for £7.50. Huge book too. Beautiful thing.

19. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

I was casting half an eye on the Folios, thanks to @Dubmart’s posts. Didn’t buy any of those, but did find one of the Everyman Wodehouse hardback reissues for £1 - The Clicking of Cuthbert.

Dave S, Dubmart and Duncan Day like this.
  20. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

My favourite Doctor! The only Doctor Who DVDs I've ever come across are of the more recent re-boot series.

Went over to the Blackpool area first thing this morning, and then caught a bus into the town centre. The RSPCA had 8 CDs for £1, managed to find six -
    Ken Emery (a Blackpool-based jazz piano player) - Boogie, Blues and Jelly Roll (self-release)
    The Providence Jug Band (from Crewe) - Back in Town (self-release)
    A Billie Holiday comp
    Wild Honey - a four track self-released EP of rock music by what I think was a Shrewsbury band
    Cooking Vinyl Sampler 1995
    "Authentic Native American Music"

Then on to St Anne's on Sea. The first shop I went in was Barnardo's, but no music stocked there. Coincidentally, the only other Blackpool shop I had a look in was a Barnardo's, and that didn't have any music either.

Trinity Hospice , 3 for £1 -
    The Bonnie Raitt Collection
    Druidspear (pagan folk/rock band) - ....Slow
    Mor Karbasi - La Tsadika (Spanish Sephardic songs)

Day Of Sunshine
    Graham Coxon - Happiness In Magazines, £1

Cancer Research - four for £1, found a couple
    A Bix Beiderbecke comp
    An odd Japanese HDCD comp (two discs) on Universal of Enya, Sarah Brightman, Dominica, and Charlotte Church. Not listed on discogs, the title is in Japanese, but the English subtitle seems to be "European & American, Four Queen, Wonderful Voice." Can't find any mention of it online.

21. Hammerhead

Hammerhead Forum Resident

Basil is the most journalistic song on Tracker I would say... it’s about working for a newspaper!

Huge Knopfler fanboy here, unfortunately Kill to Get Crimson is my least favourite album of his by a long way, but there are a few decent tracks.

JonW and minibreakfast like this.
  22. Duncan Day

There’s a download code in that Bowie album. If anyone wants it message me

minibreakfast and Man at C&A like this.
  23. minibreakfast

Funnily enough I saw three or four Knopfler film soundtracks in a local chazza yesterday.

Hammerhead likes this.
  24. JonW

Yes!! That's the one! When I looked at the tracklisting nothing jumped out at me, but you pointing it out immediately made me realise that Basil was the one and reminded me about the whole conversation with my friend who recommended it. And yes I did find Kill to Get Crimson to be a bit disappointing after Basil, but I won't lose faith just yet. Thanks!

Hammerhead likes this.
  25. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

Not much about in my part of the country at the moment.