UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. biilyedwards

biilyedwards Todd Browning's freak

Great stuff Duncan. Doctor Who, Bowie, Beatles, Queen... just like the posters on my wall!

Duncan Day likes this.
  2. Hammerhead

Hammerhead Forum Resident

3. Great Face For Radio

Great Face For Radio Sing Hosanna, the jazz snobs are all going home.

Frustrated by the current paucity of stuff on offer in Palmers Green, I ventured north to Enfield Town this morning and got a couple of interesting items for a quid each at BHF:

And Furthermore... a 1999 live album by Hot Tuna. I love the Airplane but don't know much about this lot. Most of the tracks are six minutes plus which doesn't bode well.
    Welcome - Santana (2003 reissue). Slightly put off by the sleeve notes referencing John McLaughlin, spiritual enlightenment and jazz fusion.

Wish me luck!

4. BurntOutBassment

BurntOutBassment Forum Resident

I got a pretty good haul today, two shops, total spend £3.
    [​IMG]
    A couple of Japan and US pressing amongst them, I'll post some in the first press thread .

5. Cool Chemist

Cool Chemist Forum Resident

I popped into the local 'Mind' charity shop after work and managed to pick up a record for my partner. She is into Clannad and I found Magical Ring on LP in Near Mint condition.

I got us both fish and chips too and put the record. I don't know the record at all but it does have stellar sound and I found it relaxing after a hard day.

6. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Nice ones there...Springsteen early press, the US Island/Warner of U2's October, Bowie, and the Spandau Singles Collection. Oh and Legend (which has been reissued so many times I've lost track).

EG.

7. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

Had a look in Wolfwood, in Morecambe, today, there were two less shelves of CDs this time. Managed to find 4 for £1.

The Very Best Of The Moody Blues
    The Everly Brothers - Reunion Concert
    Youssou N'Door - Eyes Open
    Morten Harket - A Kind Of Christmas Card CD single (without the prints)

Also picked up a 4CD BBC Radio 4 dramatisations set of 'Rumpole,' which I have in mind for someone in South Africa, once I've listened to it. Did you know that television was only introduced to South Africa in 1976? The guy I know online who lives there had never heard of or seen 'Callan' until I gave him a link to an episode of it on YouTube, and I doubt he's seen 'Rumpole Of The Bailey' as well.

8. Rossman

Rossman Forum Resident

The last couple of weeks finds, a few LPs as well this time

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

M
    ost expensive items were the Michael Franks CD at £1.49 and the Bernie Leadon and Michael Georgiades LP at £1.99, everything else was £1 or less. I was chuffed to get the Stray Cats CD as I had seen it a week earlier at a boot sale but the disc was missing. Also pleased with Sketches of Spain, I’ve had the later Legacy issue but always found the sound rather biting, this issue seems smoother and more to my taste.

9. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Great stuff....nice original/early Magnet press of Wired To The Moon there. The Hearsay will sound great too, being a pre-1989 edition. Be sure to check out the Amel Larieux, it's a lovely album. Plus you cannot go wrong with some Kirsty!

EG.

10. noughtsandones

noughtsandones Well-Known Member

Greetings from sunny Atherstone. We have two charity shops of note and my MO is to buy from one, rip and return to the other one. The downside to this is forgetting what I have bought from each one.

Madeleine Peyroux - Careless Love
    Gomez - Bring it On
    Bananrama - Bunch of Hits
    Yazoo - Best of
    Jean Jaques Perrey - Moog Indigo
    Grease - OST

The Moog Indigo is completely and utterly barking mad :)

£3.80

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5vWYFKNsa9jRApap7

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    Man at C&A, garrincha, Mylene and 4 others like this.
  11. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident Thread Starter

I love that It's a beautiful day album.

12. AlmostHeavenWV

Their first and best. Not one weak track.

I made the mistake of buying all of IABD's LPs, and they got progressively weaker.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    Man at C&A, Rossman and MC Rag like this.
  13. Rossman

Rossman Forum Resident

It was marked up as 50p and I bought 2 other LPs and 3 CDs in the same shop. When the lady rang the price up she said £1.50 so I asked her if it was supposed to be double that price. She said they were 5 for £1 plus 50p for the sixth item. I felt so guilty that I put extra in the collection tin. I still need to give it a proper listen though.

14. Rossman

Rossman Forum Resident

I was never really that into Chris Rea but recently got an early On The Beach that I have enjoyed, so nice to pick up Wired To The Moon as well. With the Alexander O’Neal I only ever seemed to see later albums until recently. The Amel Larieux was picked to make up a 4 for £1 deal, seems like it was a good choice.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  15. AlmostHeavenWV

One day, back in 2007, I found myself stood facing David LaFlamme, of IABD, about four feet away. I just couldn't think of anything to say, and scrabbled through my bag, feeling unsuccessfully for a pen, all the time sort of looking at him, while he looked at me - at least I could ask him for his autograph. Couldn't find one, the opportunity passed, and he walked away.

Rossman, Albiegator and MC Rag like this.
  16. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I never considered Hearsay to be that hard to find. I found the original Japan manufactured CD in a Cancer Research shop years ago. The Jacksons Triumph is much harder to find. Sketches of Spain is probably the blue box issue. The original CD is a lot harder to find. Sketches of Spain is the only mofi I would like to have, but don't.

17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Good work Rossman! :righton:

Coincidentally, I got that It's A Beautiful Day LP cheap only a couple of weeks ago. It's a nice one. The Kirsty MacColl is an excellent find too. Great album.

I haven't been looking much recently. I might go on a wander today...

18. AlmostHeavenWV

Is there any value to bootleg CDs nowadays? I've picked up an Oasis one, more out of curiosity than because I particularly like that band, and judging by the quantity of their CDs I see in charity shops they're not a particularly collectable band.

19. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Not sure bootleg CDs have any value, but Oasis vinyl definitely does and the people in front of me in the RSD queue were there for Noel or Liam.

20. AlmostHeavenWV

Interesting, thanks. I think I'll take it down to my local music shop next time I go there, and see if they know anyone who'd be interested in it. I'd pass it on free to anyone who's still an Oasis fan.

21. biilyedwards

biilyedwards Todd Browning's freak

I would check out eBay, probably the biggest market online for bootleg stuff. Some do have value, some not, but often collectors will be keen on bootlegs as well as official releases (very much the case with Bowie, for example).

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    MC Rag likes this.
  22. Duncan Day

Duncan Day Middle Aged Savage

I stuck a duplicate Ultravox live 1978 bootleg on eBay “hidden” amongst a ton of other stuff that I was selling a few months ago, on a quick 3 day sale, and got £175 for it :eek: I was hoping I might have got £30 or so for the thing but the bidding went nuts in the last half hour.
    I would imagine Oasis would be a lot more popular.

23. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I can see a vinyl bootleg having appeal and value, but surely anything on CD is likely readily available to download and burn to CD-R at ones leisure, but then I don't collect bootlegs so perhaps I'm missing something.

24. Duncan Day

Duncan Day Middle Aged Savage

Depends on the artist id imagine. I expect Oasis stuff is easily found. Most of the early Ultravox stuff I’ve got I’ve never found online.

rikki nadir and MC Rag like this.
  25. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

That makes a certain sense, though perhaps you are the only Ultravox fan willing to admit it online.:laugh:;)

AlmostHeavenWV and Duncan Day like this.