UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I honestly don't see a lot of The White Stripes these days.

louderthan1 likes this.
  2. louderthan1

louderthan1 Forum Resident

Yes, I’ve not seen them before. Didn’t check which versions they are, just happy to get them!

3. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

Poundland is still a good stop for your White Stripe requirements.

I got Elephant there a week or so ago because I wanted to hear it and could not be bothered to find the copy I already had. Somewhere.

louderthan1 likes this.
  4. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

No doubt, although I rarely visit Poundland for CDs.

5. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Up to four or five years ago some of the White Stripes CDs were really common and I'd see them almost every week, these days much scarcer, I have the LPs on original vinyl and I think they are the one thing my niece would really like out of all my records, she's tried to talk me out of them a few times, I'm slowly picking her copies up, though originals are silly money.

6. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

7. minibreakfast

Very nice! But surely you already have a copy of The Sound Of Music? :)

8. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

minibreakfast likes this.
  9. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

10. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Mono and stereo, but they now sell for a tenner so NM for 50p it goes in the trade pile, I would have bought another copy of it today, an American original pressing with a lovely clean thick sleeve, but the record was a bit too marked.

11. Dave Gilmour's Cat

A good article about Enya being overlooked and underrated: Enya Is Everywhere
    I see Elephant and Get Behind Me Satan fairly often, but never the first two albums.

Dubmart and Dave S like this.
  12. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Back then you'd often see runs of their albums in CD collections, these days if I see any it's one or two titles, don't ask me which, I can never remember the album titles.

Dave Gilmour's Cat likes this.
  13. minibreakfast

A tenner, really? I'm going to have to start scooping them up!

14. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Not up there with "Rumours", "Graceland" or Tracy Chapman, but some of the kids are buying them, though as it was number one for about three years you can definitely bide your time and choose near mint ones. Funnily enough I was in a shop yesterday and someone was buying "Cabaret" for a tenner, "West Side Story", both the film and stage version also sell now though I'm not sure "South Pacific" will be worth anything, not for a few years at least.

15. Hammerhead

Hammerhead Forum Resident

16. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Some Hearts.... is quite a rare one, I think. At least on CD, maybe the vinyl isn't so scarce but nice find!

EG.

Hammerhead likes this.
  17. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Good find on that Depeche Mode 81 -> 85, really good mastering on that original issue. Tracklist on the back is in the wrong order though, which drives me nuts.

Hammerhead and Eric_Generic like this.
  18. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

There's that Modern Jazz Quartet CD again! I really must try it for size.

EG.

19. Hammerhead

Yea
    Yeah, I’d forgotten it existed to be honest but I love the Evs, and I chose it and Saturday Night Fever for a quid each to take me up to 20 quid after agreeing a fiver each for the Richard Thompsons and the 60s Everlys and 3 quid for double Steely Dan.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  20. Hammerhead

Its a reissue so not rare according to Discogs but good tunes so worth a quid.

21. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

It was remastered (badly) with new cover art at the same time as the 86 -> 98 compilation, I think all the original art versions sound good.

Hammerhead and Eric_Generic like this.
  22. Rossman

Rossman Forum Resident

I recently saw that Anouar Brahem in a local chazza. I was gutted to find the disc was missing when I opened it up. The Metheny/ Mays is probably my favourite ECM album that I have heard so far.

23. minibreakfast

That Wilson Pickett record was a huge favourite of mine as a kid. It's in my parents' collection, and like so many others of theirs it was a real formative LP for me. Like them, I'm more of a Stax fan than a Motown one.

24. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

Picked up an American pressing of The Yes Album on vinyl yesterday in good condition for 3 pounds also uk 10cc The Original Soundtrack.for 3 pound.

AlmostHeavenWV and rikki nadir like this.
  25. Dave Gilmour's Cat