UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I do have Spirit of Eden and The Colour of Spring, thanks to Rossman of this thread, but I haven't got round to playing them yet. Too much music...

Eric_Generic and Cool Chemist like this.
  2. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I am a fan, so take my opinion with that in mind, but for me each TT album was better than the last, through to (and including Spirit of Eden). I'd never warmed to the 1st album as much before, perhaps due to the 1997 remaster I'd known, but playing the early EMI version everything sounded better, and you can hear a definite strand running through their work from 1982 right up to 1988. It's all there, just presented in different ways and to a different degree.

EG.

3. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Wow. I was daydreaming about finding a pre-1993 edition of that on CD only the other day, and now you did!

EG.

Mylene and Cool Chemist like this.
  4. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Another day, another quick pop into a BHF. Got three CDs for £1 each. Nothing amazing; yet another mastering of The Lexicon Of Love (which might be my 4th different copy), and a couple of Greatest Hits (Bee Gees' Record, Simply Red's 1996 GH). They had a 2CD fatbox Smash Hits 1989 but the discs were beyond saving.

EG.

5. mc7t

mc7t Forum Resident

20230130-144331 hosted at ImgBB
    20230130-144348 hosted at ImgBB

This (in my opinion) is the best version of the debut Duran Duran s/t on cd.

Great mastering, all tracks in the correct (UK) order, plus the added bonus of the full ending of "Friends of mine".

Eric_Generic likes this.
  6. biilyedwards

biilyedwards Todd Browning's freak

Hi everyone
    Recent finds from the past few weeks I've been enjoying in my student digs
    Heard the original Blonde CD had cuts and errors so replaced it with the remaster. Tapestry still sealed, prefer the remaster but had given it to a friend, good to get it back, live album is really good too, recommended.
    Very surprised by Carl and the Passions / Holland twofer - it was 50p in a shop I never find anything decent in
    Joni will be a Valentine's present as I already have it
    Ticked off most of the Van Morrison I want now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Congratulations on the Beach Boys two-fer and the Vans. My copy of Philosophers Stone still irks me because the hype sticker is crinkled!

EG.

8. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

Status Quo's best album, imo. Used to have the LP, downgraded last year to a CD. Great album to listen to on headphones.

9. FramboGND

FramboGND Givin' it all

Doing well finding Byrds CDs!

I looked back a bit in the thread, and saw others posting record finds too, although pickings are pretty slim in charity shops these days, with all the ancient classical, easy listening or as mentioned earlier, a Queen greatest hits for a tenner in a locked cab. This one was new to me though:

[​IMG]

Few fibres and dust on the disc, but no scratches I could see. Put the Dyson on it, then off to the sink, playing it now. First couple of tracks bit predictable tacky later '80s pop, but then mellows out into a nice groove, side 1 anyway. Just looked on eBay sold, one for £1.50 other month, I got done!

10. Balcanquhal

Balcanquhal Forum Resident

A set of three records, "Records of Elementary Chinese". They were provided in a singe plastic pouch, marked "Chinese Records"; "Hongkong Sole Agent"; "Bailey Record Co.".

I have some Chinese so this could be fun. I mostly picked it up as I like interesting 10"s and these were exceedingly odd and intriguing.

Discogs gives a date of 1975, presumably from accompanying textbook, and it looks like there is a French version, too. These have cat no M994~M995 but record M994 has the sleeve of M995, so I have two M995 sleeves and one M996 sleeve.

Rossman likes this.
  11. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Piledriver :righton:

AlmostHeavenWV and Nancy Luger like this.
  12. Balcanquhal

Balcanquhal Forum Resident

Only probem with the Van Morrison is Van Morrison.

Lars Medley and Man at C&A like this.
  13. Dirty Bertie

Dirty Bertie Man with golden helmet, drinks water from a faucet

Been listening to that BB two-for again recently. Always hits the spot.

14. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

Lancaster Oxfam update - the Bowie sheet music disappeared from the glass cabinet last week; the King Tubby 10" box set, £29.99, was there yesterday, not today; now there's a UK stereo Rubber Soul LP (Beatles), fliptop cover, only £40.

15. Great Face For Radio

Great Face For Radio Sing Hosanna, the jazz snobs are all going home.

@biilyedwards Wow. I have never, ever seen a Jonathan Richman or Modern Lovers CD in a charity shop.

16. FramboGND

FramboGND Givin' it all

There's an Evil Under the Sun OST, and Garfunkel Fate for Breakfast, £1.50 a piece Halesworth EACH just off the top of town across the road from the big white Adnams pub I passed over yesterday. Pair of smaller wood & white JVC speakers in the window for 7 quid as well. The real old fashioned higgledy-piggledy one by the church had Top Gun soundtrack in as well (all CDs 50p), but already got couple of those. Went home with a immaculate John Lewis brown leather jacket (get the Robbie Robertson '70s look) for a tenner, and an unusual Preston Sturges film didn't already have.

17. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

In the office in town today, so nipped out on my lunchbreak for a quick chazz.

Oxfam Books & Music on Micklegate was as crap as always; £3 a disc, moribund stock, almost nothing new. Only things of interest were pre-remastering copy of Lady Soul by Aretha Franklin (tempted), the unloved 2006 remaster of Juju by Siouxie and the Banshees, and the original Philips CD of JEG's Berlioz Symphony Fantastique (also tempting). Oh, and a copy of Animalia by Mammal Hands, which I'd have snapped up if I didn't already have it!

BHF down by the bridge turned up the goods though, Felt Mountain by Goldfrapp for £1, which came with me. I could have bought the same album for an extra £2 at the Oxfam Books; no wonder their stock is so static!

18. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Currently listening to Felt Mountain in a state of confusion. I didn’t think I’d ever heard this album before.

The first track was familiar; perhaps I knew it from an advert? But then every subsequent track was also familiar, as was the sequencing. I’ve definitely listened to this album in the past, and quite a lot too.

I’ve certainly never owned it - I can only guess that I was streaming it a lot shortly after the birth of my not-very-good-at-sleep eldest child, 10 years ago. My memories of that time are utterly shot due to lack of sleep, but I know had a Spotify subscription at the time.

Anyway, enjoying being reunited with what is apparently an old friend.

19. johnnywas

johnnywas "London Calling to the faraway towns."

These are worthy additions to any collection, very nice. I have seven of them. I'd take the rest too if I could find them!

AlmostHeavenWV likes this.
  20. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Today

JHE - Are You Experienced? - Joe Gastwirt/Alan Douglas remaster from 1993.

John Dankworth Big Band - Lifeline/Full Circle (2CD)

Cesar Franck -Organ Works Marie-Claire Alain (2CD)

Rossman, Dave S, Fawltykog and 3 others like this.
  21. johnnywas

In December I drew a blank. I managed 8 CD's in January these were as follows:

• Mansun - Attack Of The Grey Lantern (1997)
    "A replacement for a scratched disc and chewed up looking booklet that I had. I gave it a listen earlier. What a great album this is, just sounds better than ever as the years pass. If you see one when you're on the hunt be sure to take it home."
    • Faithless - Insomnia: The Best of Faithless 2CD (2009)
    • Blondie - No Exit (1999) Sonopress
    • Bruce Springsteen - The Greatest Hits (1995) "Bought this one for the last five tracks"
    • Soul! The Very Best Of Motown 4CD fatbox (2002) "86 tracks from 1962 to 1991"
    • The Big Dish - Satellites (1991) RSA Germany
    "Scots band from Airdrie. I have their debut album 'Swimmer' bought for a £1 in the late 90's during the vinyl purge. The great sleeve featuring a tropical fish! caught my eye"
    • The Fratellis - Half Drunk Under A Full Moon (2021) "Newest release I've found in a while"
    • Harvey Danger - Where Have All The Merrymakers Gone? (1998) Made in UK by PMDC
    "Never heard of the above band. The booklet notes mention Seattle so I took a chance on them being a decent indie/alt rock band."
    50p each except for the Motown compilation which was a £1.

I've posted something that I saw on Twitter, quite interesting to hear a musician's point of view on the worth of the humble CD.

[​IMG]
    image sharing

[​IMG]

22. johnnywas

I've picked up their first five albums thanks to chazzas. I like the way each album they try to do something different and not just repeat a successful formula. The 2013 album 'Tales of Us' is excellent but I've not come across a hard copy yet.

LivingForever and Eric_Generic like this.
  23. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

The £80 jazz LP had gone from the locked cabinet when I looked today. No sign of it on eBay yet.

24. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Ian McNabb on the side of the CD lovers....just shows you can never tell, I'd have (wrongly) thought he was all about the vinyls like so many misguided musicians/artists of his era. Nice one Ian!

EG.

25. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Me neither, there aren't many well known artists I can think of that I haven't seen an LP or CD in a charity by at some point, but Jonathan Richman is one. I think I've had a couple of 45s by him from them though.