ULTIMATE BOBBY DARIN (Warner Special Products)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vinylrec, Apr 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinylrec

vinylrec Senior Member Thread Starter

I just picked up an original 1986 CD pressing of "The Ultimate Bobby Darin" on the Warner Special Products label. The CD was made in Japan. Was this disc ever remastered like the "The Ultimate Rascals" CD? I have yet to play the CD, so I can't comment on the sound. I was just wondering if there was a remaster and/or if the remaster was Rhinoized (you know what I mean ;) ) .
    Anybody know?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Flat transfers. The only place to hear the stereo "Beyond The Sea" out there. (It stinks, but it IS stereo).

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Hey Steve,
    "Beyond The Sea" is also available on Sentimental 60's OPCD-4558 in glorious Stereo...

4. Steve Hoffman

Same over the top distortion and hiss?

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Nope, Sounds better! The Cee Dee was released in 1994.

6. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Sounds like the "ultimate" Cd used a copy of the BTS master.

Darrns stuff has uneven quality all over the place. Who oh Why doesnt WEA issue a new comp from the first gen stereo masters?

7. rmos

rmos Forum Resident

Bobby Darin's first gen stereo masters no longer exist....they were lost in an Atlantic Records storage vault fire back in the 1970s......

8. RetroSmith

I disagree with that. I believe that only some of his session tapes were destoyed, not the mono and stereo masters.

The warehouse that had the fire was supposed to have been only session reels and outakes for that very reason.

9. rmos

rmos Forum Resident

Well, wouldn't "session tapes" be considered first generation stereo masters? :confused:

10. RetroSmith

Nope, they would not.

ALL of Bobby Darins stuff was done on Atlantics 8 track machine. The session tapes would be 1 inch 8 track, the mixed masters 1/4 stereo and mono. Its those 1 inch 8 tracks that were lost (only some of them) in the fire.

We know this because there is a Darin Bootleg Cd that has plenty of session takes, alternate takes, etc in amazing quality. They had to come from somewhere and I doubt they were mixed in the 50s. no point in mixing a take that wasnt going to be used.

11. Steve Hoffman

In the music industry, a "first generation" tape usually means a mix of a multi-track work part. It is technically second generation, but since the real first generation is not "finished", it's labeled a work part. See? :confused: :)

Those Bobby Darin outtakes of "Mack The Knife" etc., were not actually recorded at Atlantic on the eight-track machine, they were recorded "live" to mono and two-track by two different engineers at that little studio that Atlantic used for overflow. (Can't remember the name right now). So, those were "live" mixed and the outtakes thrown on a dung heap (outside of Atlantic). That's why they survive. The actual stereo "take" was snipped out and put on the stereo LP reel of "That's All". The mono was snipped out and put on the mono LP reel (duh).

12. RetroSmith

Wow, didnt know that Steve.

Pretty amazing to me that the paid for an orchestra to back Bobby on those early titles and they didnt record them on the big machine.

Anybody know at what point they started doing bobby on the 8 track? I KNOw they did some of them on the 8.

13. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, after MACK THE KNIFE became the surprise biggest selling record in the history of Atlantic. THEN they went to Capitol for the "serious" stuff.

Of course SPLISH SPLASH and his top 40 stuff was all done at Atlantic on the 8-track by Tom Dowd.....

I think maybe WAS THERE A CALL FOR ME was done at Atlantic; it has the right amount of distortion and his vocal off to the side, Tom Dowd style...:)

14. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Was it Coastal, Steve?

15. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Grant, without trying to hijack the thread, could you please post a picture of this CD? I know it isn't a target, but I'd like to see the design. Thanks in advance.

16. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, that sounds right! Little Walter DeVenne would know for sure, he rescued the tapes from the dumpster.

17. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

Here is what I would expect it to look like ...

18. vinylrec

Hi Keith,
    Here's your requested Bobby D....

19. KeithH

Grant, thanks. I have two Warner Special Products discs that look like the Bobby Darin CD. They are both compilations. One is Atlantic Soul Classics and the other is Superstars in Digital. Both discs were released in 1985 and were pressed in Japan. Superstars in Digital is the same compilation as your WEA Stars on CD: More Adventures in Modern Sound target. According to allmusicguide.com, both discs are still in print. Allmusicguide.com states that the Bobby Darin disc is still in print, but it also says that the disc was released in 1988. Either that's a typo or it was re-released in 1988.

On a final note, the catalog numbers for my Warner Special Products discs are 27600-2 and 27601-2. The catalog number for yours is 27606-2. There must be discs in between!

20. KeithH

Chip, thanks, but I was asking about the design on the label side of the CD, not the cover. I do appreciate the link, though.

21. vinylrec

Those Allmusicguide.com release dates are always incorrect, especially the release dates used for "early" CD's...

22. KeithH

Grant, yes, I have noticed mistakes there. Allmusicguide.com claims that Superstars in Digital was released in 1991. Perhaps the Japanese pressing was only available for short time and Warner re-released it in '91. Perhaps they are just wrong. I don't know.

23. RetroSmith

Stereo Beyond The Sea

>>>>>Hey senor Hoffman....

Last night I was listening to the stereo "Beyond the Sea". I didnt think it was so bad, my version had the strings on the right, the band on the left and Bobby in the middle. I'm just curious, what dont ya like about it?

I didnt think it was much different than a lot of stereo mixes of that period.

At least it isnt twin track!!

24. Steve Hoffman

Re: Stereo Beyond The Sea

Oh, it's ok, but his voice is distorted. Listen to the mono version or do a simultaneous A/B and on the mono version hear how his voice is "unrestricted". Probably why they used the mono version on that two disc Bobby Darin set...

25. RetroSmith

Cool. Steve, I'll do that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.