Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Sky Blue Sky from 2007.
    Probably their last great record, at least for me. Love the production, which I think is Beatles esque

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    Dennis0675, spinyn and Erik B. like this.
  2. Erik B.

Erik B. Tighter than Mike Gordon’s jeans

If only more of their songs were like Via Chicago, I could really get into this band. On that tune Jeff's out of tune, opioid vocals work.

This album is just ok. I get the whole Kinks/Beach Boys vibe he's going for here. Maybe just not my bag through the Wilco filter.

I'll keep trying.

[​IMG]

angelo73 and budwhite like this.
  3. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

angelo73 and Erik B. like this.
  4. wlove2372

wlove2372 Forum Resident

start with AM! and go in order.

budwhite and Erik B. like this.
  5. Rne

Rne Sufferin' succotash!

You're determined to make me listen to Wilco, aren't you?
    For your information, I ordered the deluxe edition of Being There yesterday. I found it at a good price and said "why not". I have to pick it up this week, and I'm sure I will get Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and A Ghost Is Born too.

adamos, Erik B. and budwhite like this.
  6. Yeti

Yeti Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    A little late, but I listened to this newly acquired compilation last night..."Giving Up Food For Funk"!

7. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

For we the Gong Band it's enough, to be the instruments of Love...

[​IMG]

A fresh arrival via Flying Teapot.

8. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Pearl Jam - No Code

Freaking love this album. Actually, I love PJ, but for some odd reason they are a group I only feel like listening to MAYBE once a year, if that.

It's been about 2 years probably since I've had a PJ binge and have listened to almost nothing by them in the mean time. Weird, right?

9. Rne

Rne Sufferin' succotash!

[​IMG]
    Well, Wilco lovers, here I go. Will I join you in time? We'll see

10. warewolf95

I haven't "clicked" with Wilco, but that was the first album I sat through and I loved it. YMMV :)

Erik B., angelo73 and Rne like this.
  11. bzfgt

bzfgt Interesting and Copacetic Denizen

I can't wait for this Wilco phase of the thread to run its course...

12. angelo73

angelo73 ⬚⿻⬚⿻⬚

Having been recently guided down the old roads of the days of my youth once again with last month's Beatles remix, I've kept my boot heels kicking up the dust with some other fine memories.

Bob Seger- 'Beautiful Loser' is one such, and one of the finest soundtracks to a summer and a year I will never forget. It hit the record store shelves in April '75, just about a month before my 14th birthday anniversary. What a time and age to be alive for the unveiling of what is arguably Seger's greatest effort up to that point in time, surpassing the previous year's 'Seven' and its predecessor, 'Back in '72', if not in terms of the number of hard-hitting rock songs within, then at least in terms of writing, quality craftsmanship, and vocal performance. 'Live Bullet' was still a full year away, and in that time, and with the help of Detroit FM( and AM) radio, we Rock music fans in the Motor City partied hardy and played 'Beautiful Loser' like Sunday Gospel. First loves, new schools, new friends .. the world was just opening up like a pearl oyster and we were deep-diving in the sea of joy and pain.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  13. Grateful Ed

Grateful Ed Forum Resident

Never heard of this before, so I streamed a couple tracks on Apple Music. Man, that is some far out ****!

14. notesofachord

notesofachord Cousin Caterpillar

I’ll admit that Jeff Tweedy is one of the best songwriters of the past thirty years and they’re a band that, like I mentioned about Clapton and BB King a while back, is easy to like. However, they don’t inspire passion in my soul like my favorite artists do.

Pretty darned good though.

angelo73 and bzfgt like this.
  15. Erik B.

I have hundreds of hours of their shows, mainly the 2000 and 2003 tours.

angelo73, footlooseman and warewolf95 like this.
  16. Erik B.

Happy birthday, John Lennon.

[​IMG]

17. warewolf95

Back around 2011 or 12 I know I marathoned all of 2000 and 2003. Yes I was insane :p

Only time ive gotten to see them was DeLuna Fest in 2012. Pensacola FL. Literally on the beach in a crowd of probably 30,000

The crowd sang louder than the band!

Absolutely incredible show

Awesome album!

angelo73, footlooseman and Erik B. like this.
  18. Rne

Rne Sufferin' succotash!

Well, I'm really enjoying Being There, so you'll have to bear with some more Wilco, at least from me.

angelo73, budwhite, Erik B. and 2 others like this.
  19. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

As a Michigan native, I love me some Seger. Rock n Roll Never Forgets came on in the car today and my 5yo told me to crank it, so I did.

At home I listened to Roy Buchanan all day. I just acquired a number of his releases and did a tour de force. I haven't listened to him before, though I now realize how poor of a decision that was. Ditto for the Butterfield Blues band, which I also have on deck.

20. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

This box represents their peak years of studio and live music. Gong is an acquired taste: mix a tight band with psychedelic and jazz influences, a truly weird bandleader, a unique Mythos (Planet Gong- home of Zero the Hero and the Pot Head Pixies), and a wicked sense of humor together, and this is the result.

The packaging is very nicely done: much previously unseen original art by Daevid Allen, reproductions of original album inserts, a book of history, photos and interviews, and a few hitherto unheard live shows from multitrack, and proper remasters from the original tapes of 4 core studio albums. Proper, and very much worth the price of admission.

Grateful Ed, adamos, angelo73 and 2 others like this.
  21. Rne

Rne Sufferin' succotash!

[​IMG]
    Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, by Wilco. Sounding really interesting.

22. Erik B.

Saw them Lollapalooza 92, San Berdo 2000, LA N1 2013 and Boston x2 in 2016.

warewolf95, angelo73 and footlooseman like this.
  23. Erik B.

Their best and most interesting by far

24. notesofachord

notesofachord Cousin Caterpillar

A top 10 album from the 2000s decade, surely.

25. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

those were full tour releases I bought the ones I went too. Saw them a handful of times between 91 and 08. Always over the top performances but I lost track with the lps

Erik B. likes this.