Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

:biglaugh:I knew a kid from Holden that ended up going to Norwich military academy.

ARK likes this.
  2. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Bob Dylan 1970, newly arrived. First listen

siebrand, SJR, notesofachord and 5 others like this.
  3. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Life & Times. Billy Cobham, 1976.

Excellent album. The band consists of Billy, George Duke, John Scofield and Doug Rauch. Not bad, eh?

4. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Does it include a booklet? I ask this because the previous rushed 2020 edition didn't have one.

5. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Jump Up

Jimmy Lyons on alto saxophone
    John Lindberg on double bass
    Sunny Murray on drums

Live from 1980

Hat ART

legendary in the circles of free jazz

listen to the Sunny Murray rumble

listen to the very young Lindberg switch to the bow @ a bit after 13 minutes of the opening 20 minute title track after dominating with his fingers previously. Hanging and challenging the grand masters. Then back without the bow to get to the theme.

then the *great* Sunny Murray alone @ 16 minutes. As great as IT ever was. Seems like 3 or 4 drums and we have an orchestra. Sunny so relaxed maybe he’s gonna fall back off the stool. Slows at 17 minutes - then builds for the climax as we approach 18 minutes. Rolling thunder. Peak @ 19 minutes and theme 22 seconds before the end. Applause at 19:45.

yeah baby!!!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  6. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Yes, the booklet includes a nice five-page essay along with a few photos and basic track listings (but no track-by-track notes).

[​IMG]

notesofachord, ARK and Rne like this.
  7. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

They must have tried to keep it short not to piss off those who paid a lot for last year's edition :laugh:

ARK and adamos like this.
  8. wavethatflag

I found this album in the library several years ago and liked the cover. I did some research and my takeaway was that Sonic Youth is a commercial sellout band compared to Swans. :D

bzfgt likes this.
  9. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I've just realized this new Dylan release is not part of the Bootleg Series, or at least it doesn't say so in the cover.

adamos likes this.
  10. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

That’s correct, it’s kind of like the Live 1962-1966 release from a couple of years ago in that respect.

Rne likes this.
  11. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The Copyright Series ;)

ARK and adamos like this.
  12. Dahabenzapple

Flight for Four

John Carter & Bobby Bradford Quartet

Carter on alto & tenor saxophone, b-flat clarinet
    Bobby Bradford on trumpet
    Tom Williamson on double bass
    Bruz Freeman on drums

I love hearing Carter on saxophones before he switched exclusively to the clarinet a few years later. He is now known as one of the singular voices on the b-flat clarinet in the history of this music.

Carter was already 40 when this recording was made - and as unknown as he was by this time, before this there was nothing known at all about him.

This music is certainly Ornette influenced but it’s LA and the vibe is cooler in a certain way - plus for sure Carter & Bradford are more technically astute than Coleman & Cherry.
    Plus these tunes!!!!

5 tunes (4 from Carter & 1 from Bradford)

recorded in studio in 1969

incredible CD re-issue on International Phonograph

originally on Flying Dutchman

13. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Shabazz (Recorded Live in Europe). Billy Cobham, 1975.

Crimson Witch, siebrand, SJR and 4 others like this.
  14. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come

Sometimes I miss going to record stores... Back when I was into vinyl I'd go all the time. A guy at Newbury Comics recommended this album and it blew me away. Great sounding reissue that came with a DVD of the documentary about the band. Ended up getting an original pressing too, which was even better. I probably would have run into the album anyway but it was always nice to stumble into something awesome there. Anyway, this is only 4 bones at Bandcamp. Get some!!

[​IMG]

15. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

Booker is king, love his style, and your spin is one of my favorites by him. Space is the place, the Book has the hook.

LOL... if I had played that to my parents, and their friends back when it was released, that funny face-wrinkle
    of concern would start springing up around the room and the ultimate question, 'How much pot are you
    smoking these days?' would eventually erupt, and then the 'save' by mom's nice, sweet friend Mary,
    'Well, I thought it was great.'

NP... somaFM~Sonic Universe... this channel never fails to not disappoint; the last three,
    the Lumen Drones, in particular, are a real treat. Looking for something artsy to plop on,
    so I can feel a little more creative, than sitting here listening to radio lol...

08:07:08 (Now) Jan Gunnar Hoff Living Fly North
    07:50:41 Terje Rypdal Midnite Odyssey - In Studio & In Concert
    07:42:52 Lumen Drones Echo Plexus Lumen Drones
    07:37:38 Lars Danielsson Makro M�lange Bleu
    07:32:32 Beady Belle Half-truth (Live at Parkteateret) A Night at The Theatre
    07:28:02 Nils Petter Molvaer Ambient upholstery Back in Hamburg (unreleased live)
    07:22:26 Midival Pundit Z Enemy Midival Times
    07:15:05 Robert Glasper Chant Canvas
    07:11:00 Sidsel Endresen Undertow (Phono Rmx) Future Jazz From Norway
    07:07:55 Soft Machine Riff II Switzerland 1974

NP... early chestnuts from the sun king... Daddy Ain't Gonna Tell You No Lie.

[​IMG]

16. wlove2372

wlove2372 Forum Resident

I have four sons and they've all heard Dark Side but none of them took too it like I did when I was 16. Back then though we only had so much music and listened to every last note of everything we had, continuously. I still think it's brilliant.

But my two youngest, 14 and 18, will play Buenas Noches From A Lonely Room together. not the album but the song. It's at least something. When Dwight was on ACL in '88 i think? I was a sophomore in highschool and still figuring things out. Trying rap(never really getting it) and listening to Queen, Elton John, Led Zeppelin, Jackson Browne, etc. but having know clue that the music I heard as a child was seeded in my mind, and I just didn't have the roads to lead me there. No internet. I didn't stay home to watch ACL. I had no clue who the F was Dwight Yoakam. Had other priorities like girls and pot and just trying to fit in.

thats a lot to say that when I was listening to GnR and some of the top music on the radio was Huey Lewis and Al Be Sure and much other bullcrap this masterpiece show was being played, on tour. over and over. It makes me think the brilliant musicians we see struggling now, they don't get a spot in popular culture for one reason or another, it's not new.

But that Dwight record is incredible.

frightwigwam and apple-richard like this.
  17. Dahabenzapple

Pavement: Brighten the Corners

this didn’t make The Band millions?!?!?

and famous??

the music world was and is ****ed

johnnypaddock, SJR, jay.dee and 2 others like this.
  18. fairies

fairies Forum Resident

19. fairies

fairies Forum Resident

adamos and bzfgt like this.
  20. wavethatflag

My God, Macca predicted COVID. Is there anything he can't do?

Stuck inside these four walls
    Sent inside forever
    Never seeing no one nice again
    Like you
    Mama, you
    Mama, you

[​IMG]
    Band On The Run (mini image version), Paul McCartney ("& Wings")

siebrand, DrLunchbox, adamos and 4 others like this.
  21. fairies

fairies Forum Resident

adamos and bzfgt like this.
  22. wavethatflag

[​IMG]
    Simple Minds, Sparkle In The Rain

Not sure why Steve Lillywhite couldn't do for Phish what he did for Simple Minds, i.e., turn them into international MTV superstars so that Trey could marry Chrissie Hynde and sing the theme to a John Hughes movie. I guess some things are era dependent. The 80s are over--long live the 80s and fake coats of arms. Fun fact: the first 5000 copies of this album came with a can of mousse and a pair of parachute pants.

What did Bono have that Jim Kerr lacked? And can we be thankful that this band skipped the cowboy hats and hanging out with Bo Diddley B.B. King? I mean, love has still not come to town.

But seriously, a very good album.

adamos, Spazros and notesofachord like this.
  23. wavethatflag

You can blame Snotify for this one:
    [​IMG]
    The Fixx, Reach The Beach. Never bought this album at the time, and never listened to it until today, but, OK, OK, I though Cy Curnin was sorta cool.

Maybe, someday, saved by zero.

24. wavethatflag

The completist in me demands.
    [​IMG]
    Simple Minds, New Gold Dream (81/82/83/84)

Yeah, I don't get the album title either.

First listen, although I know a couple of these tunes.

I am indeed going to be at the point where I need to blast Joe Walsh or Van Halen after this one. Still, I am content to syncopate to the Synclavier for the time being. Remember, this was how all music was going to sound in the future until it didn't.

adamos and notesofachord like this.
  25. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*