Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. profusion

profusion Forum Resident

Found this one cheap at the used CD store this weekend. Very nice, even if it doesn't have "Elizabeth Reed" on it.

[​IMG]

2. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

3. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

The Complete In A Silent Way- disc 1

Miles Davis

Wonderful morning music.

Jim Walker, mcwlod, budwhite and 12 others like this.
  4. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Angel Bat Dawid - The Oracle
    2019, International Anthem

Incredible album... She performs on the new Damon Locks record, and it reminded me that I haven't heard this one in awhile.

[​IMG]

jay.dee, Oliver and adamos like this.
  5. profusion

profusion Forum Resident

Wonderful anytime music.

6. Jowcol

Jowcol Forum Resident

Driving to drop my turntable off for a service and new cartridge Van Morrison “It’s Too Late To Stop Now” Disc 2/ sides 3 & 4.
    Saw this tour from the second row of the Colston Hall, Bristol. One of the best I’ve ever seen.
    [​IMG]
    Driving home Follakzoid “II”
    [​IMG]

7. Jowcol

Jowcol Forum Resident

After an hour or so potting on begonias and geraniums in some pretty weak sunshine, Fela Kuti & Egypt 80 “Live in Amsterdam”
    [​IMG]

jay.dee, Oliver, rockinlazys and 8 others like this.
  8. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

I was listening to that version on Spotify last night. I barely made it through the initial album as of yet. I'll probably go back and give it a relisten before diving into the alternate/bonus stuff. Thanks for the heads up.

footlooseman likes this.
  9. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Danzig
    1988, Def American

[​IMG]

jay.dee, mcwlod, budwhite and 3 others like this.
  10. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Killer psych-blooz from '69. Signed and produced by Bob Thiele.

[​IMG]

Thee source>

11. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Great album with a massive "Mountain Jam". You can find that "Elizabeth Reed" on the deluxe version of:

[​IMG]

12. profusion

profusion Forum Resident

I saw that. I wish they'd sell the complete concert separately. I don't need another copy of Idlewild South. I guess that's no different than the GD 50th Anniversary editions. I'm different because I didn't have any of those albums yet, but I imagine most GD fans don't need another copy of WD or AB to go along with those spiffy Capitol Theatre shows...

jay.dee, j4yheindeo, Erik B. and 3 others like this.
  13. GuitarStrangler

GuitarStrangler Forum Resident

I am ashamed of the fact that until recently I wasn't familiar with any of Joni's stuff.

This has been a soundtrack of the last week. At the first time listening, this was like "OK, this is interesting".
    Second time listening and I am sitting in awe, having a lump in my throat half of the time, and smiling the other half.

And off I go exploring Joni's catalog.
    Only other stuff I've heard before was Mingus some time ago.
    I am very excited indeed!

[​IMG]

14. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Can: Ege Bamyasi
    Pink Floyd: Ummagumma

jay.dee, mcwlod, budwhite and 14 others like this.
  15. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Now listening Free Fire and Water. Classic.
    [​IMG]

16. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

The Fall Complete Peel Disc 5 so much classicness

17. Jowcol

Jowcol Forum Resident

18. Phoenician

Phoenician Resident Forum

Cream -- Live at the Grande Ballroom, Detroit, MI 10/15/67 (specifically this version with boosted bass)

Whatever record company owns the remains of the Cream organization should be upending heaven and earth to find the original tapes of this show to commercially release it. Clapton's tone is so, so good. Most of "Stepping Out" has that "open" sound that is one of my favorites. My guess is that it comes from everything being turned to 11, the tone knob being just right, and having a wah-wah pedal set just so (but not being moved). It sometimes breaks into full distortion but also sometimes sounds like electronica bleeping/blooping. A one-man sound sculpture.

Thanks to Bruce & Baker constantly trying to pull the rug out from under him in the big jams, Clapton really gets out there at times. I wonder if the two of them had a signal/cue or something because there are times they would shift the beat in unison to force Clapton to react, and that seems like it would be difficult to pull off spontaneously as many times as they do. I'm not a musician, though, so maybe that's the kind of thing a great rhythm section can do after playing together long enough.

19. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

20. bzfgt

The Fall Complete Peel disc 6 things get a little dodgy in the late 90s, but the last two from 2004 and 2005 are triumphant

21. SeeDubs

SeeDubs Forum Resident

Le Grand Maitre Franco & Son T.P.O.K. Jazz - Ekaba-Kaba (Yo Moko Okabeli Ngai Ye Oh) (CD, 1987)

Found this on a new double-CD sold via Amazon that has needle-drops of four complete late-'80s Franco albums. Very unlikely that it's legit, but three of the albums, including this one, are otherwise unavailable on CD. The name of the compilation is 4 Classic Albums Vol. 2.

[​IMG]

adamos, Jowcol and johnnypaddock like this.
  22. Spazros

Spazros Forum Resident

A Classic UNI-brow as well. Gadzooks

Ian S and Erik B. like this.
  23. Spazros

Spazros Forum Resident

Orgone - Killion Floor. Some nice funk, soul, afro-beat from LA. If you would like the Budos Band and Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings to have a baby, it would be Orgone.

[​IMG]

24. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

I went to ole cupboard
    to get me some Fall
    but ole cupboard war bare
    BZ ate it all

I'll await your doctoral thesis the subject!

Southern rock Swedish style; my synapses spark with development of the hypnotic riff and I start seeing änglar while smelling fresh kanelbullar when everything synchs around 2:45. Crossed the digital divide {shudder} to scoop up what little discography there is. Can you get me an autographed pic, @budwhite ?

Djur som jobbar, by Urtidsdjur
    [​IMG]

25. bzfgt

The Annotated Fall

jay.dee, sami, hyde park and 3 others like this.