Uncut and Mojo cds

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by averica, Jan 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. averica

averica infinite rider on the big dogma Thread Starter

anyone like these?they came free with the magazines.ive got a ton of them..good way to discover new artists.also throw in the Paste sampler cds

ooan, Mark Wilson and peerke like this.
  2. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Those I've listened to I've mostly been unimpressed with, and they usually end up in the trash.

There's a debate in the letters pages of Uncut at the moment whether to stop the CDs and move the content to download only.

Yovra and eddiel like this.
  3. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

I think they've now become redundant, if a review piques your interest you can listen to the whole album on Spotify.

ispace, tedg65 and Andrew J like this.
  4. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I do enjoy some of the themed rock n'roll ones they've done in the past.

5. parman

parman Music Junkie

I like the MOJO ones, lots of stuff I wouldn't have heard otherwise

6. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

There are some great ones with rare tracks. Usually I find the ones with new tracks not very interesting. This one is quite cool for example
    Various - Cigarettes And Alcohol Url: Various - Cigarettes And Alcohol Shared from the Discogs App

qwerty and Dave S like this.
  7. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I think there are a few with hard to find tracks and some nice compilations. But the ones with new music are usually the worse. If you find old sealed ones cheap, then they are good for new jewel cases.

Same view as @EdwinM above.

Man at C&A and ispace like this.
  8. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

9. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Yes, the only ones I've kept over the last 20 years are Mojo's three Heavy Nuggets comps of obscurish early UK hard rock and 2017's excellent Krautrock comp. I also kept the one Noel Gallagher compiled for Mojo called Well... All Right. Surprisingly for such a conservative, it had some really interesting stuff on it.

10. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

I’ve probably passed on more copies of the cover mounts than I have kept. I agree that the CDs are largely obsolete and the magazines would do better moving to the download option if they insist on presenting new music as part of the package. But I only buy those mags very occasionally these days and have lost touch with most of the new artists they keep going on about.

11. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

Uncut should be ashamed of the landfill of boring Americana plastic which they have produced over the years. Similarly, I can feel the icecaps melt at the mere memory of that terrible song by Hammell on Trial

milankey, Man at C&A, Andrewb and 4 others like this.
  12. dbeamer407

dbeamer407 Forum Resident

I have been trying to assemble a complete set of them (so if anyone doesn't want them to go to the landfill - send them to me, I'll pay for shipping). Some are tough to listen to while others I think are a great listen and of course there are plenty in between that.

My interest in assembling the complete collection is mainly for two reasons. 1) They make an interesting time capsule about what was going on in rock at that time, basically a history of later day rock n roll (both the good and the bad) and 2) there are quite a few exclusive tracks scattered across them.

The exclusive tracks are what got me started on them in the first place. I am a huge Replacements/Paul Westerberg fan and there are some Dylan covers by Westerberg that only appear on Uncut CD's. I have run across other exclusive versions some of which aren't marked as such. For instance, I am a fan of the Scottish band Three Blind Wolves EP called Sound Of The Storm and while listening to a Mojo cover CD I came across an otherwise unreleased version of one of the EP tracks. It wasn't an earth shaking discovery since the track was fairly similar but it was still a cool thing as a fan of the EP.

drift, ispace, Lewisboogie and 2 others like this.
  13. Sander

Sander Senior Member

Sometimes these free CD's are excellent and really worth collecting, featuring rare & unreleased tracks or just very well assembled compilations.

Some of my favorites are:

- David Gilmour & Friends (MOJO - October 2015)
    - Neu Decade (MOJO - November 2017)
    - The MOJO Anthology (MOJO - November 2018)
    - Dylan - The Best of the Bootleg Series (Uncut - December 2018)
    - Swoons (MOJO February 2019)

14. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

Agree that the Uncut ones are basically redundant as new music can be accessed / heard online. The problem with the Uncut CDs is that the sleeve designs were the most unifying aspects of them. The Mojo CDs on the other hand were more curated, and worked as compilations (mostly of older music / reissues).

For what it's worth, my message to Uncut would be to ditch the CDs, unless it is proving to be cost effective.

15. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

There weren't many I liked. I haven't bought either magazine in many years and most of my experience comes from much older issues. The discover new artist bit never really resulted in me discovering that many new artists and a lot of what they include from older artists I already had. However, there were a few that were excellent and I kept those.

I once met someone who worked for Mojo. We were talking about the cds. He said that people are more likely to buy the magazine if it has a cd attached even they don't like the cd. He also said that in terms of packaging buyers prefer cd cases to cardboard sleeves. But times change. I imagine a lot of people might feel differently now in terms of a "free" thing attached and would rather have it online instead.

16. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I wish this post was made about 8 years ago! I had plenty. I still have some stored away although not in their cd sleeves. To conserve space I put them in cd folders but I kept all the artwork. They're stored in my parents house, who now run a storage facility for my stuff it seems. lol . Anyway, when I go back for a visit I'll have a look and see if there are any I want to get rid of, you can have them. If you have a list of what you are missing, it might help things. No promises, I really can't remember what I have left so there maybe very little that you need.

17. Adamski777

Adamski777 Forum Resident

For me the CDs were a gateway into great bands like White Denim, Slint, Motorpsycho, Sleepy Sun and Wooden Shjips. Generally, there's a lot of guff but always 1-2 standouts per disc to investigate further - I say they are worthwhile.

18. averica

averica infinite rider on the big dogma Thread Starter

i have a ton of them..mainly bought in lots on ebay over the years...always a few interesting tracks on them imo

Lewisboogie likes this.
  19. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

Some are hit or miss. I have quite a few. The Heavy Nuggets that were mentioned are really good and this one as well:

[​IMG]

1. The Move - Walk Upon The Water
    2. The Yardbirds - Shapes Of Things
    3. Caravan - Place Of My Own
    4. Deep Feeling - Pretty Colours
    5. Deep Purple - Emmaretta
    6. The Creation - How Does It Feel To Feel
    7. 13th Floor Elevators - Slip Inside This House
    8. Aphrodite's Child - The Four Horsemen
    9. Blossom Toes - I'll Be Late For Tea
    10. Small Faces - Song Of A Baker
    11. The Pretty Things - Baron Saturday
    12. David Axelrod - Holy Thursday
    13. Humble Pie - Growing Closer
    14. The Attack - Mr. Pinnodmys Dilemma
    15. Bubble Puppy - Hot Smoke An Sassafras

20. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

I love them especially when the do cover versions of an entire album. “Dark Side ...”, “The White Album” etc.

I’m a fan of physical media so download versions don’t have the same fun and cool element for me.
    I don’t get the same kick scrolling and clicking as I do going through piles of CD’s.
    I realize I have become the minority.

Meyer, Maurice, Man at C&A and 3 others like this.
  21. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I stopped buying UNCUT three months ago after my local Tesco stopped stocking it, I never missed an issue until then, as for the CD's most of them are unplayed, I have only ever played the artist or album themed discs, new music discs never even got unsealed.

22. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

The "Compiled by" ones, when they actually are by the artists concerned, can be keepers.

Tom Waits did one I'd casually tossed until I saw the track listing and I ended up buying the magazine again!

The Siouxsie one was also great.

Funnily enough, they both had the Clifford Adams' original version of "When you wish upon a star" from Pinocchio on them.

oxegen likes this.
  23. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I've got at least 100 of these still in perfect condition. A lot of stuff I not interest in but there's some absolute gems amongst them of songs I'd never have known otherwise.

Thinking of getting rid of them soon ( @dbeamer407 I'll try and remember to contact you if that happens!) , there's a lot of space I could free up!

24. Lk4605

Lk4605 Forum Resident

..you can find complete compilations on Discogs...I had plenty along the years buying the magazine and most were very interesting for a record's collector..for exemple :Keith Richards "the devil's music"..26 tracks ! or "Sticky soul fingers"...etc.....

Lewisboogie likes this.
  25. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I have all the Mojo discs going back to 2002 or something like that. They all fit in one Bankers Box so they don't take up too much room.

Hit it miss, yes but with each CD I usually discover and like a few songs that I might not had heard otherwise. I look forward to each new issue.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.