Uncut Magazine - 200 Greatest Albums Of All Time

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ParanoidAndroid, Dec 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

20 for me but I hate lists like this - how something like Physical Graffiti or Live At Leeds can be rated "worse" than anything by Kraftwerk is a complete and utter mystery.......

2. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

That's because for rock fans Johnny Cash is the only country artist :)

Same goes for Miles and I'd say Coltrane. They're pretty much the same two jazz guys that come up. Probably because they were two of the most famous/popular jazz artists.

I'd rate the Louvin Brothers and George Jones above Cash myself but that's just my tastes. But Cash has that rock n roll cred doesn't he?

starduster likes this.
  3. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I love it but Initials BB is better

stunner2020 likes this.
  4. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

I've long stopped paying attention to the actual ranking in these lists - they're basically "in no particular order" type of lists for me now. Led Zeppelin and Kraftwerk are two completely different bands, and trying to establish which one should be ranked higher is an exercise in futility.

5. schnulli

schnulli Forum Resident

I have some of these albums. But not because they are on any of such lists.
    There is always a bias in all these "Best albums of the century" and whatnot.... In 2000 Radioheads - then new - album was on 2. Now UNCUT have "In rainbows" on the list. It is all subjective.
    We all know that. So i don't give a s**t...
    And Pet Sounds on 1 ? I will never understand why this is so highly rated. For me it is 100+ at best...

hi_watt likes this.
  6. George P

George P Notable Member

7. Poxy Bowsy

Poxy Bowsy Well-Known Member

If you combine "In Rainbows" with its bonus disc, making it a single release, it's even a better album.

About the list, there's some amazing albums in it, but their order and criteria is pure crap. How can you put The Smiths in front of Dylan, Neil Young, Bowie, etc? And the list is too USA/UK oriented. They should call it the greatest albums in the English language of all time. Earth is a big place and i know about tons and tons of music from all over the world that are much, much better than The Smiths, The Clash, Public Enemy, Love, etc. Acording to this list, Sex Pistols is better than acts like Joao Gilberto, Atahualpa Yupanqui, Tom Jobim, Mulatu Astatke, Astor Piazzolla, Fela Kuti, Tatsuro Yamashita, etc, i mean, it's comic, to say the least. And it would be nice to see a list without The Beatles on the top 10, just for a change. Is that asking too much?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
    ramdom likes this.
  8. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Yes, it is asking too much.

Manalishi and bibijeebies like this.
  9. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

It is interesting. It's like a few jazz albums, all acknowledged classics in the genre, have been adopted by rock critics. By any yardstick, it's weird to see A Love Supreme compared to ...Oasis! Still, you have to admire them for referencing Bitches Brew - let's hope they have actually listened to it :).

timind likes this.
  10. Poxy Bowsy

Because Beethoven and Mozart would've kicked everybody's ass, as a wrestling tag team. They would've wiped the floor with all those phony punks.

11. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Agreed, but many feel Paris 1919 isn't even the best Cale album, as discussed recently on the board.

12. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I have just over half.

It would be nice to see lists that weren't so sixties centric, great though that decade was, wasn't so narrow and unrepresentative in genre, or even to see a list with just one album per artist.

Also to have a new 2016 version of the previous ? 2008 Forum list. I'm not sure how much work that would entail, but it would be good (rather than discussing whether or not one should list one's hi fi).

"Heart of the Congos" (good though it is) is becoming the trendy reggae album to quote. Sufficiently obscure etc...But no Marley (Exodus) or Harder They Come ?

Nice to see the Isley's, Chic and the Curtis debut (rather than the usual Superfly), plus the usual Marvin, Otis and Stevie (though Talking Book or FFF would replace Songs for me), Prince (but no Dirty Mind ?) and JB. I Never Loved a Man is the best Aretha album though, not the chosen Lady Soul, IMO.

Overall, I much prefer the second 12 (choices 13 to 24) to the top 12.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
    mschrist and trumpet sounds like this.
  13. Poxy Bowsy

I don't want to live in a world where Oasis, Prince, Nirvana, Ramones or U2 is considered above Steely Dan's Aja. Good bye guys, i quit this one.

hi_watt likes this.
  14. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

No Nirvana Nevermind? Trying to make a statement? That's a top 10 album.

basie-fan likes this.
  15. ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid Forum Resident Thread Starter

Couldn't agree with you more.

OobuJoobu likes this.
  16. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

I don't agree about which Fall and Mingus albums are where but that's no big deal - great list!

davers likes this.
  17. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I can't see what point you are trying to make?

18. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

Wow. Astral Weeks only makes 82 on their list. For Uncut it is the second best record ever.

19. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Its a baffling list as they do include some stuff not normally covered but then the wrong albums/wrong rankings (IMO). Like putting In Rainbows as the highest Radiohead album just seems to be making a point in being difficult for the sake of it.

20. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

The Queen Is Dead is "better" than Highway 61 Revisited.
    Grace
    is "better" than In a Silent Way.
    Morning Glory
    is "better" than Plastic Ono Band.

If we look at the musical innovation and cultural influence of the "B" team, the "A" team comes up so short it's a joke. Which does not rule out someone with a computer keyboard likes The Smiths more than Dylan etc. Not having a heated discussion about this, just explaining my post :).

21. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Sgt. Pepper is slowly dropping down these lists with each passing year.
    Soon it won't be in the top 10 of any "Greatest Albums of all Time" list.

22. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

OK, thanks for explaining, as certainly the Smiths album and Buckley album are very highly regarded, certainly two of the best albums of the last 30 years. I think they both deserve to be where they are, and although not perhaps as innovative they are certainly hugely influential albums that have had a massive impact.

23. keith65

keith65 Forum Resident

I think this list is way too conservative for 2015.

basie-fan and timind like this.
  24. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

25. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Another lazy list. Even though I scratch my head through most of it, I can see why I appreciate the pitchfork lists.

It's also better not to include jazz albums on lists like this. Throwing in a couple of popular titles is ignorant

trumpet sounds likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.