Universal 4K Blu Ray Player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ephi82, Nov 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working Thread Starter

Hi.

Recently bought a new 4K OLED CX 77 display and have been loving viewing 4K content from Netflix etc..

I have a Oppo BDP 103 that plays all my large hard media ( BD, SACD, DVDA, CD) collection, but of course it doesn’t play new 4K discs.

prior to this I had been thinking about buying another universal player as a back up to the Oppo, and I just might pull the trigger now

any suggestions on a universal player that does 4K and plays the hi res disc formats? Note that having analog audio outs is not a requirement.

2. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident

3. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

When I was in your situation (albeit with a smaller screen TV), I decided to add Sony's UBP-X800 to my setup. I understand there are players with more highly regarded picture quality under some circumstances, but I don't think there is another truly universal disc player anywhere near the X800's price. Some have also expressed frustration at their players locking up, but that's only happened to me two or three times over the two years I've had it. My only real complaint about it is the lack of display and direct track access (no numeric buttons on the remote) when I'm just listening to music with my TV off. The latest version of the player (aka X800m2) is currently available for $200 as a "Black Friday" deal. A no-brainer at that price point, as far as I am concerned.

Ignominious likes this.
  4. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

If you don't need analog out the x800 should do the job. I had the 1000ES for a while and it wasn't very different. It's heavier and had stereo analog outs, though they didn't sound very good. The X800 has performed fine for me though I don't use it for audio at all. Your receiver is going to be most of the sound anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.