Universal Player question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Pinknik, Dec 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Regardless, IMHO most audiophiles will tend to shy away from a Universal player.

Pioneer was the first to bring one to market and the issue of the conversion
    of DSD and PCM immediately became a focal point. At the $5,000 MSRP
    of the AX Pioneer, many looked to Sony and spent bucks upgrading their
    SACD player to get even better sound from the SCD-1 and SCD-777, looking
    for DSD improvements.

The majority of consumers though will be quite happy with a universal
    player.:)

2. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Yes, they could and I think one British company is.

BTW can you say Mortgage??, 'cause that's what it'll probably take to get one.

I have always thought that by trying to integrate audio SACD & DVD-A/DVD Video somethings gonna suffer and, with DVD it ain't gonna be the DVD-A/DVD Video part of it.

3. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

If the DVD-A spec changes as many people are suggesting I would dare
    make any major investment at this point until everything gets ironed out.

4. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

Got to agree with Gary here. This is all still in its infancy.

Who knows what'll happen.

5. Rspaight

Rspaight New Member

From everything I've read, it does not. Apparently it uses a chipset solution from Sony for the SACD portion, and does not do the PCM conversion as the original Pioneer AX-10 did. At least, that's what I've read.

Some DVD-A discs (like Fragile and Automatic For The People) let you cycle through the available mixes by pressing the "audio" button on the remote. In that case, you don't need the TV. The Pioneer doesn't have a "group" button on the remote, though, so you need the TV if that's the method a particular disc (like Elvis) uses.

Of course, once you've got the mix selected, you can always turn off the TV and shut down the video circuit.

All told, though, SACD does it better.

Ryan

6. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

I wonder if converting my typing from PCM (poor clerical manipulation) to DSD (demonstrative secretarial duties) will help ya'll hear me any better?

:)

7. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that they weren't doing all that stuff 30 years ago, only that with all the processing that went on/goes on, one could hardly be expected to tell the difference between DSD, PCM, or analogue for that matter. I'm sure your engineer is brilliant; good for you! :)

8. GoldenBoy

I've not been able to figure out how to get the stereo mix of Automatic For The People without using the on-screen menu. I'll try like you suggested and use the audio button, and see what happens. I didn't even realize that you could do that. The documentation for my DVD-A player doesn't tell you this, and it certainly doesn't appear on any DVD-A I own. Not even the 'group' method appears in any documentation I've ever seen.

I tend to agree, SACD does it much better, IMO.

9. GoldenBoy

:laugh:

Well, being a proponent of DSD myself, I'll say yes, but don't tell those weirdo PCM advocates.:shh: :angel:

10. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

No need to apologize. You da man.

I was only tring to emphasize that there is a second reason besides the limited bandwidth of the of the analog FM band... all of the digital processing is PCM. IBOC or Digital FM will offer a full 20k of band width but will be MPEG at a 120 bit rate. (and just to show off a llittle... it'll be delayed 4.5 seconds) :) IBOC is going to be real interesting.

I-In
    B-Band
    O-On
    C-Channel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.