Universal SACD/DVD-A players.....

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by davef, Mar 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davef

davef Senior Member Thread Starter

Just got a nice check at work and now I've got $500-$1000 to spend on a universal SACD/DVD-A player. The Pioneer AV45 is available right by me, has gotten good feedback from people, and is in my price range; does anyone know if there are new combo players coming out soon?

If so, do any decode HDCD?

Thanks!:D

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I guess this question is tougher for us than you thought, huh, DaveF? ;)

From reading the threads, it looks like there is NOT a perfect player out there that does everything. Playback in one of the formats always seems to be compromised. There's more and more stuff coming out on the market so patience may be your best option.

I've never heard of a universal player that does HDCD. As a matter of fact, I don't think there is a SACD machine that does this.... or even DVD-A!!!

Why not get two players? It may cost less than a universal machine.

Sorry, wish I could be of more help. :(

3. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I know there is at least one SACD machine that decodes HDCD: the Lindeman D 680 - SACD and HDCD (very expensive though).

I believe that the Denon DVM-4800 does DVD, DVD-A and HDCD.

Regards,
    Geoff

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Thanks, Geoff!

I've never heard of Lindeman.... !! And I don't think I'll ever be able to afford it (or justify it to the wife, for that matter!).

5. davef

davef Senior Member Thread Starter

I already have 2 players that do 5.1... and only 1 5.1 input on the receiver. I like my SACD player better than the DVD-A, didn't spend enough on that, so I'd like to upgrade my DVD-A capability while being able to play my new Dark Side of the Moon in 5.1 mix.

Thanks for the response, Gary! I appreciate the info... may need to buy an HDCD compatible player too... thankfully my rack is strong enough to hold all the players...

6. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I have heard the new DENON does SACD and DVD-A. I don't know the name, but the price is about 1100 $

7. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

Beware, many of the so-called 'universal' players (possibly even the Pioneer? I don't know if that has ever been settled definitively) compromise the SACD playback by converting the DSD bit-stream to PCM before the final D/A conversion.

8. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

The new Yamaha DVD-S2300 has very good DVD-A and SACD playback. I'm fairly certain the SACD isn't converted to PCM, even when using bass management. But I care far more about the sound than the implementation details; it sounds damned good with both formats. No HDCD.

It is not authorized for online sale. Street price seems to be about $800-$900.

9. GabeG

GabeG New Member

Only the cheapest Pioneer does this (I'm not sure if it has streeted yet).

10. IanL

IanL Senior Member

The perfect player (or anything close) is simply not available yet. There seem to be compromises with each one. I bought the Pioneer 45A for $425 off of ebay and I have been pretty happy with it. I realize there are compromises like the DSD thing, but I still think it sounds good despite its shortcomings. I think this player was a good solution for me because I think there will be big improvements in these players in the next couple of years, and the prices will come down a bit too. So I just got the cheapest one I could use for everything (except CDs-- I prefer a dedicated player) so I can enjoy all of the software coming out and build my hi-rez collection. When there are better options out there, I will invest in a better player. That is just how I approached this dilemma.

11. peter

peter Senior Member

How does the Marantz DV8300 factor into all this? I'm going to audition one tomorrow.

Thanks again to all. As usual!

Peter

12. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Gary said:

The Denon DVD-3800 does DVD-Audio and HDCD (no SACD). I just got one last week, and it's a great component.

Claus said:

Denon will be releasing the DVD-2900 universal player in US later this year for $1000. It will not be equipped with an HDCD decoder. The '2900 will replace the '3800, and while adding SACD, Denon cut some corners in making the '2900. For example, Denon dropped HDCD.

13. GoldenBoy

I'm almost certain that the DV45A was said to convert the DSD bit-stream to PCM. There were some debates over this if I recall correctly.

14. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

I've heard the 47Ai does not. Haven't heard about the 45.

Where are all the 'trust your ears' people when it comes to this issue? :)

15. GoldenBoy

I think it was uncertain whether or not the 47Ai converts the DSD bit-stream, but I don't want one, so I never investigated it too deeply. As far as trusting your ears, I've never heard either or any machine, for that matter, that does this so I couldn't comment on how they sound. In any case, I really don't see how adding an extra, unnecessary conversion to the chain could possibly benefit the sound in any way. I'll stay clear of any machine that does it.

16. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

If Pioneer would confirm whether it does or doesn't convert DSD to PCM, then I wouldn't be so doubtful. Anyone have a contact at Pioneer who could give a definite answer? I really want a universal player, only because I do not want to tie up a bunch of inputs (and rack space) for separate players, to play the same-sized disc. Oh, and make it a 300-disc changer while you're at it. :D Could be the timing isn't right...maybe a year or two from now there will be some good universal players that will do all the formats correctly, and won't break the bank either.

17. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I would suggests the following players:

1) Denon DVD-2900 does DVD-A/SACD, should have good video playback with Silcon Image deinterlacer, no chroma bug. Bad: Not out yet.

2) Yamaha 2300 does DVD-A/SACD, great video playback via Faroudja deinterlacer. Bad: not as good build as Denon.

3) Pioneer Elite DV47Ai. does everything, but nothing good. Mediocre audio and video's the pits compared to the above players.

18. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Actually I thought that Pioneer's most expensive "universal" player (the SACD-stereo only one that preceded their 47a; I can't remember the model number) converted DSD to PCM. At least I vaguely recall reading that in a review.

19. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Interesting. I thought that the general consensus among reviewers was that the Pioneer's strength was its video performance.

I haven't seen the picture from either of the other players, so I can't compare them. BTW, do you have an inside track at Denon? It sounds like you got ahold of a 2900 already even though it hasn't been "released."

20. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Also looking to buy this one - however............
    Not a vary favorable review in the latest The Absolute Sound (cover article). They said that its SACD ouput is no better than a high end CD players. Also the player shuts off automatically. For those of us who leave our systems on all the time for optimal sound this is a no no.

There is a new 8400 out in Japan:
    http://www.marantz.co.jp/ja/anounce/mz/dv8400.html

21. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I have experience with all the Denon products, which stack up pretty well vs. other players in the same price range.

Good place to start to compare all three players......(well, likely substitute Denon DVD3800 results for video performance of upcoming DVD2900)

DVD Shootout

22. Jetsons

Jetsons Forum Resident

Here is a link with excellent info on the video quality of top players on the market. I believe all the models mentioned above are covered in this comparison.

Info: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=5

Just scroll down the page and there is a write up on each of the units tested plus manufacturer info links.

The Yamaha DVD S2300 does appear to be one very unit plus I understand that Yamaha's customer service is better than most.

Jet

23. GoldenBoy

I guess all of this goes to show that, so far, there really aren't any great universal players, be they cheap or expensive. Perhaps this will change eventually, but probably not in the near future.

24. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I think I'd have to learn more about video terminology to make good use of this site. I don't even know what the writer is referring to when he keeps referring to "bad edits" on specific dvd's. (It's clear he isn't referring to an artistically bad edit.)

At any rate, as with music, the proof is in the watching, not just measuring. I don't even have a large screen tv. I'm sure that some of the things that might jump out at me on better equipment aren't even visible on what I have.

25. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.