Unreleased 6/6/1962 Beatles EMI Session Tape, Geoff Emerick*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by iDigital, Jun 13, 2020.

1. bjr

bjr Senior Member

Yes, John Cleese and Graham Chapman would be, about 2 years later when they form Monty Python together with the "Do Not Adjust Your Set" crew.

2. Dr.O'Boogie

Dr.O'Boogie Forum Resident

We simply don’t know what he likely had. But we now know that he had he had something from the archive and unless you think it was purely coincidental he chose well.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

We know that UMG's response was only concerning the 6/6/62 session tape, which indicates the estate's claim was only on that tape. If they had more tapes, they likely would have filed claims on those as well.

4. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Jimmy Nicol was a heck of a Beatles drummer, pounded the skins hard in time, he was Keith Moon compared to Pete Best

Lewisboogie and DTK like this.
  5. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

I like the videos with Jimmy Nichol. He went to be the drummer in The Spotnicks and traveled the world touring. The Spotnicks were around for like 50 years with the same founder.

6. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

The Spotnicks are fantastic, their leader Bo Winburg sadly died in January this year.

There's a fantastic newsreel clip of Nichol doing IMO the best version of I Saw Her Standing There ever captured, look at that hard out drumming in the bridge at 3:16:

7. Bern

Bern JC4Me

[​IMG]

8. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

The Star Club tape illustrates this. Compare Besame Mucho, Pete vs Ringo. They're going 100mph with Ringo. You can just feel how John's guitar is being driven by the drums, and vice versa. Add those vocals and harmonies.. what a track!!

czeskleba, RAJ717 and Lewisboogie like this.
  9. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

No, that’s not that my real photo.

10. johnny moondog 909

I thought it was Ginger Baker

supermd, Bern and Tommyboy like this.
  11. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Ginger Baker or Donald Fagen...

12. Paulwalrus

Paulwalrus Forum Resident

I can actually barely understand anything they say in that video with Emerick.

The Liberated Tapes :)

How do you compare them? It's Ringo on the Star Tapes. With the Decca audition?.

13. Paulwalrus

Yeah, that's true. It could have been mentioned and Pete might not have wanted to say it. There was probably more than one reason anyway. Fact is, they wanted Ringo.

They may well want to see first how this turns up.

Have we discounted the possibility Love Me Do and Besame Mucho came from this tape? I haven't quite been able to keep up with this thread.

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

If they had multiple tapes, and wanted to "test the waters", it seems unlikely they would have chosen arguably the most historically significant tape to do so.

Love Me Do on Anthology 1 seem to be from an acetate, as claimed.

Besame Mucho is still a mystery at the moment.

15. Paulwalrus

They needed him then, but had about two years to get someone else since.

Well, Paul could always be the drummer.

16. johnny moondog 909

I think its Ginger Baker around age 70ish

Bern likes this.
  17. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Sorry to be a pedant, but Monty Python did perform that sketch a few times too. And it was also written by John Cleese and Graham Chapman.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  18. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Has the mystery ever been solved exactly why Jimmy Nicol got fired? ;)

Seriously though, that's some great Netherlands footage!

supermd, Ken Wood, goodiesguy and 3 others like this.
  19. Arthur Hillard

Arthur Hillard Forum Resident

Probably but they could also have deliberately chosen the most historically significant tape to test the waters.

The price the Emerick Estate would get will be much higher if any potential private buyer knows they can actually commercially release this material in some way. The best way to test this beforehand is to let it go to court and to engage the interest of UMG by using the most interesting tape. If the court decides the Emerick Estate owns the tape and the copyright on the audio on it has expired and can be commercially released by anybody then the price they can charge skyrockets. Would UMG bother taking this to court if they'd started with a tape that was "just" a few duff studio takes of Don't Bother Me?

Anyway - is this the most historically significant Beatles EMI tape that Emerick might have had? What if he had the 1962 studio tape of Tip Of My Tongue? Maybe not as "historically significant" but potentially even more interesting!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  20. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

hey...that instrumental behind the dialog is Fantastic!! Wish I knew what it was.

21. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

So I wonder if that means the Beatles didn't necessarily know they came from the Best family?

ARK, Dr.O'Boogie and Paulwalrus like this.
  22. Dr.O'Boogie

The Best ‘Pete’ drumming with The Beatles was IMO the ‘Tony Sheridan’ stuff and that was when he was forbidden to use the bass drum. Everything else I have heard was crap.

I think you are right that Ringo grew as a drummer, I have heard comments from both John Lennon and Tony Sheridan that Pete never changed his style or learned anything.

Ringo had passion and a steady beat though, just listen to him on the December 1962 live Hamburg Recordings.

RAJ717 likes this.
  23. petdevaney

petdevaney Forum Resident

It sounds like "Shaking And Breaking" by The Jumping Jewels.

24. Dr.O'Boogie

I think Neil Aspinall’s quote to Mark Lewisohn was something along the line of “I just picked them up on the way out” (of the Best home) so there’s every chance that you are right.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  25. Dr.O'Boogie

Yes, but by the same token that only means that the 6th June tape is likely all UMG are aware of. We just don’t know if he had anything else. I have no reason to believe he did, but it cannot be ruled out as a possibility.

marklamb likes this.