Unreleased 6/6/1962 Beatles EMI Session Tape, Geoff Emerick*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by iDigital, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Ha!

longdist01 likes this.
  2. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Oh, I don't think anyone here has sullied his name...it's the whole lawsuit thing going on. And some of the official comments in regards to how tapes were handled. We don't know when, how, or why he ended up with it. I'm not sure EMI/UMG or his bosses from the past do either.

Bern

3. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Not sure anything is a given at this point. I worked in tv...all the old quad and one-inch tapes were given away to a fellow engineer who took them in for scrap metal. Useless local programs on the tape. Which (imo) is what EMI felt about that tape back in the early 60's.

Bern

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I don't believe that's true.

Nobby, Onder and thrivingonariff like this.
  5. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

What other session could Besame Mucho be from?

6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That’s the million dollar question.

goodiesguy, longdist01 and joemarine like this.
  7. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

In memory of Billy Preston.

WMTC, Chip TRG, goodiesguy and 5 others like this.
  8. Arthur Hillard

Arthur Hillard Forum Resident

As far as I know nobody has confirmed the contents of the tape by actually playing it.

If the tape was available for Apple to use in the 1990s then Mark Lewisohn would have definitely heard it when he worked on the Anthology. In his 2013 book Tune In he admits he had to guess at the tracklisting for this session. That makes it pretty obvious that Emerick didn't come forward with the full tape when he also worked on Anthology.

hallucalation and slane like this.
  9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Along with the fact that Besame Mucho was from Sessions and Love Me Do was from acetate.

slane and Arthur Hillard like this.
  10. Arthur Hillard

Arthur Hillard Forum Resident

Exactly.

Why Emerick wouldn't have come forward with the tape (assuming he even remembered he had it) when he worked on Anthology is a mystery.

I assume he was being well paid to work on the project so maybe he thought that if he asked Apple for money for the tape and played hardball (or it ended up in a lawsuit) then he'd lose the job? Best to hang on and wait until that particular job was over.

It's also possible the tape contents do not match the box and he knew that.

11. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Just for the sake of speculation. Could there have been 2 sessions with Pete Best at EMI?

12. A Local Bloke

A Local Bloke Forum President

I just hope we get the contents if it is indeed that session. I hope the same will someday happen with She Loves You, I'll Get You, P.S. I Love You or the two versions of Love Me Do. The first two most of all. This is hugely unlikely of course. It'll be cool, if this is indeed Love Me Do (Among other tracks of course) on the tape, to hear it mixed to stereo if it does get released. There are 3 versions (Barring any jams from their late-stage period), all in mono.

13. slane

slane Forum Resident

Both Best and Martin have confirmed that they only met each other once.

14. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Plus quite a few BBC recordings. Some of them much superior to the EMI recordings.

15. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Did we had got contents of I Want To Hold Your Hand session tape or HDN album sessions? Apple will not release full session tape as it is nor Emerick estate will leak it. That's pretty naive hope.

16. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Pete Best's emi session card is shown in that 'Sessions' book, there is only one date stamp on it.

Zeroninety and DTK like this.
  17. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

18. Lemon Curry

If one applies Occam's Razor to this situation, the excellent-sounding Besame Mucho on Anthology did in fact come from the tape. One need not try to find evidence of another undocumented session.
    This would imply of course that Emerick not only knew he had the tape, but that he dubbed off of it. Why not hand the whole thing in? He wanted to stay out of trouble. One song could be said to come from "a collector".
    This would further imply that Emerick not only knew he had the tape, but knew its value, and took a risk to let the world hear a track from it. Likely with no financial gain.
    All speculation, of course. But what other explanation is simpler?

BrettyD, NumberEight and lennonology like this.
  19. slane

slane Forum Resident

Then why did Love Me Do on Anthology require to be sourced from a (then) recently found George Martin acetate?

If they had a tape source for LMD, why use the acetate (at the time reported to be the only source of this 'lost' track)?

20. Lemon Curry

Because they already had the acetate, no need to make another dub. In this analysis, "they" didn't have the tape, Emerick did. And we know he had it, because there's a court battle over it.

If one merely speculates that Emerick dubbed Besame Mucho, everything else lines up. He was the man assembling Sessions, right? Right place, right time.

Again, same disclaimer..all speculation.

BrettyD and NumberEight like this.
  21. slane

slane Forum Resident

The acetate was only found in Martin's attic during preparation for Anthology. Before that the recording was considered to be lost forever. But you think that Emerick (who worked on Anthology) had Love Me Do all the while and knew it, but didn't say anything?

22. multi.flacs.project

multi.flacs.project Forum Resident

Emerick would have sourced "Besame Mucho" from his tape during the preparation for Sessions in 1984. It is a well known fact that several Anthology tracks have been sourced from the mixes prepared for Sessions. Anthology 1 came out more than 10 years after Emerick worked on Sessions - that's easily enough time to forget about the tape.

23. Lemon Curry

I have no answer other than to say he had the tape, and in at least one case hypothetically he let something slip out. More might have aroused suspicion in his thinking. Maybe with Pete's flubbed skip beat on Love Me Do, he thought Besame Mucho was the more enjoyable listen. Who knows??
    It's a simpler explanation than to suggest we have another session that no expert remembers or documented.
    Anything is possible, of course.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  24. slane

slane Forum Resident

I don't think that necessarily.

My opinion is that while Emerick may have had the tape all along, it was only sometime after Anthology that he realised/found it.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  25. Lemon Curry

That leaves the problem of where Besame Mucho came from. Why not put as highest probability it came from Emerick? Why assume he forgot about it?

Lewisboogie likes this.