Untrue "Folklore" about Tv shows, Movies and Celebrities

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DaleClark, Oct 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The rumor was that the cast of Green Acres ate Arnold The Pig at a Cast Party Barbeque after the last episode wrapped.

The truth is that A). Multiple pigs played Arnold throughout the series run, and B). All of those pigs went to live on a farm after they got too old to play Arnold on the show and lived out their lives until they died of natural causes.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/pork-and-screens/

2. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

What a ridiculous story! Everyone knows it was really the horse from Mister Ed that got cooked and eaten at the final wrap party.

Jazzmonkie, The Hud and SomeCallMeTim like this.
  3. buzzzx

buzzzx Forum Resident

Another rumor was Mr. Ed was actually a zebra. Since the show was in black and white nobody could tell.

The Hud and guy incognito like this.
  4. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Back in my younger days, I had the serious hots for Jamie Lee Curtis for some reason, I probably wouldn't have cared even if she was a hermaphrodite!:laugh:
    All I can say is Christopher Guest is a lucky guy:righton:
    Seems to me that it was Rock Hudson's death from AIDS that really brought AIDS to peoples' attention back in the mid 80's...never mind the myriad unknowns who'd already died from the disease by that point, when it finally took somebody who was famous, that caused people to finally take notice. At least that's how I remember it (I was only about ten years old at the time, mind you)
    Yeah, I think it's safe to say that's one TV urban legend we can probably put to bed now...and the actual legend, of course, was that only Gary Burghoff was aware. Not so. When he read the script Larry Linville supposedly said something along the lines of, "This is f--kin' brilliant!":laugh: Don't get too used to the idea of being in command, Frank!:D
    Oh, gawd, I remember my mum had those Hollywood Babylon books. They looked pretty trashy...not, mind ya, that I knew who the hell Kenneth Anger was when I was a kid (I do now, of course, mainly due to his Stones and Zeppelin connections)

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  5. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

The MGM lion attacked and killed his trainer.
    Not true. In their 94 year existence, MGM has used several lions, and there is no documentation of such a thing having ever occurred.

SomeCallMeTim and Vidiot like this.
  6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

So you're saying that whoever started that rumor is simply "lion" about that?

:)

realkilroy and Simon A like this.
  7. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

After Jim Henson died there was a rumor that Ernie on Sesame Street was going to die of AIDS (oh and also the rumor that Bert and Ernie are gay).

8. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

*Groan* :)

9. IIRC, Hudson and Nabors got in on the rumour and held a blowout party they called their "wedding reception". Maybe though that's also a legend. :)

10. There actually is an extremely rare condition something like this, where the external male sexual characteristics don't fully develop or "externalize" in the womb, but it largely corrects itself at puberty when the testosterone kicks in.

The Hud likes this.
  11. Funny thing is, this is largely true about celebrity sex educator Dr Ruth - she was a sniper for the nascent Israel Defence Force during the war of independence in the late '40s.

Simon A and intv7 like this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yes, she talked about this several times on her past interviews on the Howard Stern Show. That's a true story.

13. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I have heard several variations on how Bruce Lee died. One of which was due to a fight with Chuck Norris. All were false.

14. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The original Halloween was on last night and there was young Jamie with her long skirts, knee socks and mid heels. I saw the movie in a huge theater when I was still in masters school, just based on a great review. I took one look at her and I was 'how can I marry this woman?' I came back telling everyone the movie was great and this girl was going to be a star, she was a hottie. The funny part was that when she made it big (after THE scene in Trading Places), she made a comment like "I'm not really considered sexy except by men who are in Masters school or higher.":laugh:

SomeCallMeTim and ohnothimagen like this.
  15. ohnothimagen

For me it also didn't help that one of my exes -whom I dated for eight years- was almost a dead ringer for Jamie Lee Curtis with red hair. Picture that combo. She was kinda nuts, though (my ex, not Jamie Lee):laugh:

SomeCallMeTim, The Hud and The Panda like this.
  16. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

My old man said 'You might do alright, kid, if you stay away from the redheads."

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    Simon A and Ghostworld like this.
  17. ohnothimagen

I got the same advice, actually...it only took going out with three crazy redheads to finally heed it though:righton: My wife's Asian (Filipino)...I remember a couple years back she was considering dying her hair red for some reason or another (damned if I know how that'd work on black Asian hair) but I said "Please don't.":laugh:

18. JM Jones

JM Jones Forum Resident

Hedda Hopper had the biggest??

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  19. SomeCallMeTim

SomeCallMeTim Forum Resident

There were the Superman and Poltergeist curses. Both films featured prominent stars whom tragedy befell later; both also featured prominent stars whose lives and careers continued unremarkably.

20. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

I'm not a huge meat eater but this is such a great rumour! It has all the elements of possibly being true and at the same time it's outrageous and funny. It reminds me of a story Burt Reynolds told on Johnny Carson about Roy Rogers and he prefaced it by saying "I don't know if this is true but if it's not it should be".

21. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident Thread Starter

How about the whole Johnny Carson "***** cat in the lap of a female celebrity" where people swore they saw it...but it never happened. Just like the Dick Cavett guest having a heart attack and dying during taping. The event did happen, but it never went on the air...however, people swore they saw it live on TV. Some stories becaome so big that people talk themselves into witnessing something.

22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Har har har. Never heard that one before.

23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

But he did sell a helluva lot of them! Ha!

Scooterpiety likes this.
  24. merlperl

merlperl Forum Resident

Love roller coaster murder...

25. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

There must be something about trying to associate a gentle personality with a career that seems at odds with that personality.

In the case of the painter Bob Ross, it was true that he was a master sergeant in the Air Force, often known for being particularly mean and tough on the other guys under his command.

SomeCallMeTim and intv7 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.