Untrue "Folklore" about Tv shows, Movies and Celebrities

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DaleClark, Oct 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Or like the Groucho story about how he loves his cigar...

Solaris and guy incognito like this.
  2. merlperl

merlperl Forum Resident

Oops already covered.

3. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

King Creole actually had a curse. Everyone involved in the film died young.

4. buzzzx

buzzzx Forum Resident

I think just Elvis died young (42). Vic Morrow (accident) and Carolyn Jones (cancer) were relatively young, 53, when they died. But Walter Matthau lived to 80, Dean Jagger 88, Dolores Hart is still alive. Rest of the cast pretty normal.

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  5. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

...and I was told that this was a misunderstanding of some sort, that it was actually Montgomery Clift.

Ghostworld likes this.
  6. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

That's true about Rock Hudson and AIDS. What annoyed me was people in the media acting surprised that Hudson was Gay. I'd heard he was back in the 70s. It was an "Open Secret".

ohnothimagen and SomeCallMeTim like this.
  7. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

It may have been a dye-transfer print made before Technicolor stopped processing films in real Technicolor.

8. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

And the news media reported that Bert and Ernie were supposed to be Gay based on the word of a Sesame Street writer who didn't create Bert or Ernie or even worked on Sesame Street in it's early years.

Ghostworld likes this.
  9. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Former SNL writer Alan Zweibel told this story when he appeared on Gilbert Gottfried's podcast recently. He said that Berle asked him if he wanted to see "it", and proceeded to haul it out and lay it on the table. At which point Gilda Radner walked in and then backed out of the room, saying "I'll come back later."

10. Supposedly Sly Stallone put that out there. He and Gere hated each others guts when shooting "The Lords of Flatbush". Stallone got him fired.

GodShifter likes this.
  11. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

"Real" Technicolor as opposed to "fake" Technicolor?
    I've never really known the differences between the different color film processes: Eastmancolor, Metrocolor, Deluxe, Warnercolor, et al.

12. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

"Real" Technicolor involved toning three separation negatives yellow, magenta, and cyan, and combining the three images, and it had a richer look than Eastmancolor. "Metrocolor" and "Warnercolor" and etc. were just other names for Eastmancolor.

13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Something tells me uncle Milty had a wild private life. He sounds like Dirk Diggler in that story

carrick doone likes this.
  14. Although I'm not sure that Berle was walking around backstage offering to whip it out - in the SNL book Live From New York, Zweibel said he asked him about the rumour first.

carrick doone and Dave Garrett like this.
  15. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

"You're Mama Cass' Daughter? Your Mother chocked on a ham sandwich!" "No, my Mother died of a heart attack!" "No, your Mother chocked on a ham sandwich!"

16. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

My favorite Berle story, and I have no idea if true or not. He was in the bathroom with Sammy Davis Jr., who was involved with Kim Novak at the time. They were both at the urinals and Milt said to Sammy, "if Kim gets a look at this, you'll be back to ****ing Hattie McDaniel". Too funny.

17. Fact-Checking the Age-Old Rumors of Walt Disney’s Dark Side

There was no reason Disney had to "hang out" with Leni Riefenstahl.

18. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Before I ever heard the gerbil story anywhere else, it was applied to Jerry Penacoli, an anchor at (formerly) NBC channel 3 in Philadelphia. It was so prevalent, he even referred to it obliquely when he left the air here. I guess that places it in the late 80's.

numer9 likes this.
  19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Yep. Penacoli.

20. In 1938? After Kristallnacht? No pass for Mr. Disney from me, sorry.

smilin ed likes this.
  21. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

Directly from the author referenced in that article:
    "And though Walt himself, in my estimation, was not antisemitic, nevertheless, he willingly allied himself with people who were antisemitic, and that reputation stuck."

You could easily spin that as he was anti-Semitic. The authority on the subject seems to think otherwise. Your thoughts and prejudices are your own.

22. Yes, my opinion is my own.

I could expand on your interpretation of the article text, but we have strayed into a verboten topic so let’s drop it now.

jbmcb likes this.
  23. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

His union bashing and support for McCarthy's witch hunt makes him bad enough, whether he was anti-semitic or not.

Jarleboy, Simon A and smilin ed like this.
  24. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Your old man might have possessed many fine qualities BUT his knowledge and advice on this particular subject was severely lacking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.