Upcoming John Lennon Imagine release out 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mikecarrera, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

My store charged $36, which I still think is ridiculous for a single LP. The Rolling Stones LPs I bought were also that high. Ridiculous pricing, but us fans will pay

John Bliss and 5th-beatle like this.
  2. Diego Esparcia

Diego Esparcia Forum Resident

Yesterday here in Spain I paid 36€ for the vinyl, which I found quite expensive. I think it was limited to 5500 copies worldwide.

5th-beatle likes this.
  3. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

What do people recommend for a decent, affordable CD mastering? Is the MFSL still the best CD?

4. Embracetheday

Embracetheday Forum Resident

My store had it for $36.89. It is limited to 5500 copies.

5. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

The 2010 remaster features the original mix and sounds great, better even than the first Japanese CD. The MFSL is remixed.

Paul P. and JediJoker like this.
  6. Paulismyname

Paulismyname Forum Resident

Early in the Imagine Revealed, there is mention of advanced technology and revisiting the catalog. It started with Imagine, so could be more on the way.

7. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Thanks. I think I'll wait a little before trying to find it on ebay. Prices are too high at the moment and 5500 copies should last a while before selling out.

JediJoker and StateOfTheArt like this.
  8. StateOfTheArt

StateOfTheArt Beatle Know-it-all

It will be available after RSD. It was just a RSD first, not exclusive. 35.00 USD in my store. So I passed.

Bill Evans was super limited, my store only got 2 copies.
    Bob Dylan, forget that too. Tough year.

5th-beatle likes this.
  9. Time Is On My Side

If I already have Lennon Legend, which has all the hits, do I really need the 2010? I don't know if Lennon Legend has the original mixes or not.

10. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I’m pretty sure Lennon Legend uses the remixes. I could be wrong though.

11. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Lennon Legend has the original mixes. The Working Class Hero 2 disc set uses the remixes (and is the only place to get certain remixed singles.)

MerseyBeatle likes this.
  12. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

I don't know if you want the album or just the hits. :) About Lennon Legend, I haven't heard it personally but others have commented that it has noise reduction, so it can't be recommended.

StateOfTheArt likes this.
  13. Time Is On My Side

Sorry if I am threadcrapping. If I want to buy this album on CD, is the 2018 version better? I heard that the newer versions and the MFSL CD are no-noised. I have also heard that the original CD is a flat transfer but sounds dull. What is currently the best digital version out there?

JediJoker likes this.
  14. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

Which album?

If you're talking Imagine on CD, the original 1987 is no noised and dull, the 2000 era is a remix, and the 2010 is amazing - not "No Noised" and the original John Lennon supervised mix. The 2018 is another, different remix.

Don't know about the MFSL. If it was done at the same time as John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band, it might be the 2000 remix. I'll let someone jump in on this one.

EDIT: Discogs lists the MFSL as the 2000 Remix.

(Pardon my brevity - posting from my phone)

Cheers,
    Paul

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    PhantomStranger, JediJoker and teag like this.
  15. Time Is On My Side

Yes talking about Imagine on CD. I will pick up the 2010.

16. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

I actually passed on it because of that price. I couldn’t stomach that for one, non-audiophile LP. I paid that for the AP stereo Beach Boys Surfer Girl LP Now that record was worth $36.

17. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Me too, and I buy damned near everything Fab-ish. My gut tells me when it sees “regular” release, they won’t price it that high. If the poster is/was an exclusive, I can live without it...

StateOfTheArt likes this.
  18. StateOfTheArt

I did the same. $35? For something I already have digitally, in 5.1? No thanks. I can wait.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  19. StateOfTheArt

I like the 2000 MFSL remasters, myself. The 2010 isn't terribly behind that, though.

I think the best way to hear these records is the 5.1 raw mixes.

20. ted209

ted209 Forum Resident

Just to add... the original 1987 Japan CD CP32-5451 is not no-noised and sounds great to me.

21. StateOfTheArt

I mean, if the hiss is removed, you either have no-noising, a noise gate, or it's done on a workstation.

22. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Soooo, how long till we find out if another Lennon album gets the Ultimate treatment this year? And no I don't count the recently released Wedding Album!

23. ted209

ted209 Forum Resident

Understood, but I'm saying that the Japanese original CD has hiss. It's a different mastering than other original releases.
    Sorry, this is way off topic!

Paul P. and StateOfTheArt like this.
  24. teag

teag Forum Resident

Non - audiophile? It actually is audiophile quality.

Cut by Ryan K. Smith who cuts for Analog Productions and Speakers Corner. AP and SC records always cost $35. Also pressed to perfection, not sure where, but either RTI or one of the top EU plants based on the quality. The cover could be thicker but I am more concerned with the vinyl pressing and sound which is superb. Worth every penny.

25. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

Remember the MFSL is a remix - not a remaster.

The quickest way to tell is listen to How Do You Sleep?

In the original mix (on the 1987 and 2010 CDs), after the wide stereo string section "tune up", the track becomes effectively mono.

In the Cobbin 2000 remix, the whole song is fairly wide stereo.

From the credits in Discogs, the MFSL is using the Cobbin remix. This would match what Yoko requested for JL/POB.

Note: that's not necessarily a bad thing. Cobbin's remixes on Yellow Submarine, JL/POB and Imagine are fairly tasteful - and he works from the clean multitracks.

On the downside - John wasn't presenit to approve or disapprove of them. (Yoko did though.)

Just something to be aware of when navigating his releases on CD.

Also Note: I haven't heard the MFSL. If it is indeed using the original mixes, I would love to update my info. :)

Cheers,
    Paul

P.S. Mobile again - please forgive any typos

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019