Upcoming John Lennon Imagine release out 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mikecarrera, Jun 3, 2018.

1. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

The vinyl side 2 sounds muddy to me
    Oh My Love is great but Gimmie Some Truth is soup

2. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Is that the average RSD price for 1LP releases these days? If so, they're making it hard for people to support record stores. Especially when no exclusive tracks are included, as in this Lennon LP.

I bet a lot of people that bought multiple copies thinking they would be able to sell it for $50+ will soon have to offer it for less than what they paid for it.

3. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I was fortunate enough to buy a bunch of RSD releases and I thought the prices in the shops which I guess is the recommended price were higher than last year. £24 for a 10 inch Van Morrison release! I did not get the Lennon but have ordered a left over from the excellent Badlands for £33 inc postage in accordance with the RSD rules. I like the cover and believe it comes with a poster.
    Badlands Records Online

A great shop and wonderful mail order/internet service. They still have some RSD stuff left.

5th-beatle likes this.
  4. StateOfTheArt

StateOfTheArt Beatle Know-it-all

Shameless plug :whistle:

Flaming Torch likes this.
  5. teag

teag Forum Resident

No more so than all the mentions of Acoustic Sounds, Music Direct, Spotify, etc. all over this forum.

sambamaster and StateOfTheArt like this.
  6. StateOfTheArt

StateOfTheArt Beatle Know-it-all

Facts

7. Paulismyname

Paulismyname Forum Resident

Part 2, folks

dav-here and oboogie like this.
  8. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

The 2014 Japan SACD hands down, if you want the original mix.

[​IMG]

9. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

Were there any CD versions with the same mastering? I know that the SHM-SACDs are single layer and I do not have an SACD player.

10. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

11. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Well the Japan SHM CD might be the next choice, but the SACD really blooms.

For around 50 some dollars you can get SACD playback from a used blu-ray player that supports SACD.

12. Flaming Torch

There is a Platinum version in the mini sleeve and an HR Cutting (I think HR stands for high resolution) version which is really just a redbook cd as is the Platinum. They both use the same mastering as the SHM SACD. They all came out together in 2014. I have them all and they look wonderful and play fine. They did all the albums except for Milk and Honey and Live Peace.

John Lennon - Imagine

PhantomStranger likes this.
  13. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

How about compared to the HD tracks hi-res version?

14. Flaming Torch

I have the Signature box as a high resolution flac download. I will check to see if it is 24/96 or 24/192. The download does not give any real detail of what mastering and I have not done any A/B comparisons. Both should be the original mixes where applicable and my guess is that the Signature download comes from the same sources as the cd box set. The cds in that box are fine in my opinion. I am fortunate I have some spare cash and can afford the more expensive but beautifully done Japanese releases.
    Just checked HD Tracks UK and they state 96/24 so no doubt that is what I have. Some of the bonus stuff ie outtakes and home recordings is 44/24. Actually they want £168 for it! Maybe go for the nice card sleeves from Japan!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  15. carnivalofheight

carnivalofheight Well-Known Member

Apologies if this has already been discussed. I've finally (with A LOT of advice from this forum! Thanks!) extracted the audio from the Bluray's with the box set, and it's such a fantastic collection....so many amazing performances.

I used MakeMKV and Audiomuxer to extract the audio files, and it worked perfectly, but... My issue is that (once the tracks are split up) many of the track divisions are a little wrong. For example, the first second of one track may be on the end of the previous track. Obviously this isn't a problem if you're playing the tracks in order as presented on the Blurays, but is very frustrating if you just want to play the tracks individually, and their beginnings are clipped off. If it was just one or two tracks this wouldn't be so bad, but it happens on at least 15 tracks.

For an example, the first notes of 'How?' on the main Imagine album are on the end of the previous track 'How Do You Sleep?'

Is it a poorly authored Bluray, or something I've done wrong in the extraction process?

I know I could manually divide up the files, but with such a huge set this would be a nightmare!

Interestingly, I noticed this same issue with last years White Album Bluray.

Any advice much appreciated!

IronWaffle likes this.
  16. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

Losslessly transcode the whole album to a single audio file with an associated CUE sheet. Use a text editor to edit the track end/start times in the CUE sheet until they're where you want them. If desired, then losslessly transcode the album back into separate files. Tedious, but it works.

IronWaffle and carnivalofheight like this.
  17. carnivalofheight

Thanks so much for the advice! Yes, it sounds pretty time consuming, but I'll give it a try when I have time.

What software would you use to transcode the album back into separate files? Can I do this in Audiomuxer? Sorry...I'm pretty much a beginner at this!

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  18. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

I've never used Audiomuxer, so I couldn't say. Most/all of my audio work is done on macOS, and as such, I don't have a Windows program to recommend. My go-to on macOS is XLD when converting to/from CUE sheet format.

carnivalofheight likes this.
  19. carnivalofheight

Ok cool, I'm sure I'll be able to find some windows software with a bit of Googling. Thanks again, much appreciated!

20. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I noted the same problem and edited the files in Audacity.

JediJoker and carnivalofheight like this.
  21. Paulismyname

Paulismyname Forum Resident

The final part is here.

oboogie likes this.
  22. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

I have finally received the 2-LP set on clear vinyl and the RSD "Raw Studio Mixes" LP.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Gimme Some Truth (live vocal out-take)

Link:

dav-here, oboogie, albertop and 2 others like this.
  24. mikecarrera

mikecarrera Forum Resident Thread Starter

JOHN LENNON ABOVE US ONLY SKY DVD/BLU RAY

RELEASE DATE SEPT 13, 2019

118 MINUTES

ln 1971 John Lennon's most successful album 'lmagine' was released. The title track has become one of the most iconic Lennon songs. The underlying message of the song and the album however was one of radical engagement and is as relevant today as ever. This film reveals the depth of the creative collaboration between John and Yoko and examines how the art, politics and music of the pair are intrinsically entwined. Documentary + Bonus Features: 1. How Do You Sleep? (Takes 5&6, Raw Studio Mix) 2. Oh My Love (Raw Studio Mix) 3. Oh Yoko! (Bahamas 1969) 4. Conversation with Curt Claudio.

[​IMG]

25. murch

murch Forum Resident

So there's the deluxe imagine cd set which doesn't include any video documentaries. Then there's the new vinyl of the remixed album and a second vinyl release of album outtakes. Then the imagine blu ray which includes both versions of the old (the original and the recut) documentary. Now's there's a new Blu ray which includes the new new new imagine documentary (above us only sky) plus more video outtakes. I really wish there was more imagine content out there for the consumer.