Upcoming WiiM Pro Node Killer

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by telemike, Sep 22, 2022.

1. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

I like to think I can hear the difference between CD transports.

Blind listening tests do suggest not all 1s and 0s are the same and transport/streamer does matter, even if delivering a bit-perfect signal.

Ntotrar and rexp like this.
  2. FYI, there is an iOS update to WiiM Home that was posted over night. Among other things, it corrects a sort order issue with rips of multi-disc CDs. In my case, it was ignoring the disc#/#of discs fields in the tags and displaying multi-disc albums with all the track 1’s, all the track 2’s, etc.

There is a thread about that at the WiiM forum where a user reported the update. Apps on my iOS devices don’t auto-update, thus I was not aware but navigating to the app in the App Store revealed that an update was available.

3. I did do an additional test yesterday using my Denon 3910 as a source.....same result.

The folks at Schiit said that this sort of behavior is possible via optical but not coax, and offered to exchange the unit. I have a suspicion that the person I am communicating with is not really understanding the issue. I would think it would be simple for them to test to see if they can duplicate the issue but they have not suggested that.

I do appreciate the offer for an exchange, but given your report, I am not sure a swap will buy me anything unless there was some sort of update or known issue that Schiit has not revealed to me. I really wanted to support a US company, but this is probably just going to bug me every time I sit down to use the system. I may see if I can get a Topping D50S to try while the Amazon return window is still open for the Schiit. I see that Bill has no issues with his Marantz, but that is about $2800 more than I would prefer to spend on a DAC. :)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
  4. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

No thumps with my WiiM Pro using a Marantz 30n as a DAC connected via optical.

Bill Mac and BGLeduc like this.
  5. OK, another bargain solution. :)

Anyone in this thread using a lower cost (less than $300) DAC via COAX or Optical that is not seeing the thump when changing sampling rates?

bever70 and Ntotrar like this.
  6. rubberhead

rubberhead You could pay as little as $5 per treatment*

I have a Topping E30 and I've heard sporadic clicking but it's so brief that I never bothered to wonder what caused it or notice if it's when sample rates change. Definitely no thumps though.

BGLeduc likes this.
  7. Gi54

Gi54 Forum Resident

So, is it a Node killer? Certainly cheaper - but how does their SQ's compare when using an external DAC? And OS comparison?
    Thanks

8. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

That’s great news. I might have been the one who reported that issue over there, or one of the first.

BGLeduc likes this.
  9. telemike

telemike Forum Resident Thread Starter

As long as both send identical bitstreams, your external DAC makes the most SQ difference

Gi54 and cdash99 like this.
  10. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

My experience too! Some claim $$$$$ streamers make a difference...not my experience (comparing $2000 Cocktailaudio X40 vs $180 Wiim Pro). Not using the Cocktailaudio anymore because of crappy app.

11. Here is one of the threads in which I participated.

Double CD not playing in correct order

The issue is solved for me, but my takeaway here is that there are as many different ways to store ones music as there are users. I use jRiver, and it does not really care how your music is organized in terms of locations and folder arrangements and file names. I rip with dBPoweramp, point jRiver at those files, done.

But looking at the last couple posts at the WiiM forum, there are users that obsess over file naming and organization and work out their own schemes……perhaps WiiM home is not able to deal with some of those methods.

Setting that aside, I am seeing an intermittent problem where artist and album artwork is not correctly assigned to the right artist or album. I am still trying to narrow that down. It may be that any edits I make in jRiver don’t get picked up by WiiM home. There have been instances where it is correct, and other times not. I have tried restarting both jRiver and WiiM home, with no change, them for unknown reasons, everything lines up properly for a time, them not.

RoyalScam likes this.
  12. rexp

rexp Forum Resident

Using Tidal, my experiments so far, best SQ first:
    1. Laptop + IFI Zen DAC
    2. Phone + IFI Zen DAC
    3. Wiim Pro + IFI Zen DAC

13. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I can see why the WiiM would come in last, as the internal DAC is less-than-stellar. If connected digitally, there shouldn't be a difference. (I see there's no digital input on the Zen.)

Coltrane811, rubberhead and bever70 like this.
  14. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Good catch! The only digital input on ifi zen dac is usb (and Wiim out is only optical or coax). So @rexp HOW is the wiim connected to your ifi dac??

rubberhead likes this.
  15. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

I would never use the Wiim Dac, not a good choice for SQ.

16. rubberhead

rubberhead You could pay as little as $5 per treatment*

I did for a few days before my topping arrived, I had to turn the bass down on the amp to make it tolerable

17. rexp

rexp Forum Resident

Oops it's a Zen One Signature, at least you understood!

Ntotrar likes this.
  18. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

For the WiiM users connecting to an external DAC, do you have the WiiM audio settings set to fixed or do you have it variable and let your phone/iPad control the signal? I’m curious if there’s any audio degradation when not using the Fixed output level. I just now realized fixed audio was a setting after having this for months! :doh:

I will say in my smallish living room, with the audio set to fixed, I barely need to turn my amp volume up to 7 o’clock to get massive sound. Not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad.

rexp likes this.
  19. Fixed, but my DAC connects to an integrated amp with a remote control.

rockclassics and bever70 like this.
  20. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

Same for me. But you don't find the fixed output too hot for your amp? I barely have any volume control headroom before its plenty loud and my amp isn't even that powerful.

21. I have not noticed any problem. The amp (NAD 320BEE) is not a power house, but there seems to be plenty of range via the knob. Most of my sources require only about 7 o’clock to maybe 11 o’clock on the dial to get from family friendly to “turn the damn thing down” levels.

The DAC is a Cambridge DAC Magic 100, which assume is putting out something in the neighborhood of 2 volts, typical of a fixed, line level source.

imsjry likes this.
  22. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I just checked and it’s set to variable. At the max setting playing Qobuz it’s about the same volume when playing a disc with my Marantz SA-KI Ruby. To be clear I’m using the Marantz as a DAC (optical input).

I like being able to lower the volume with the WiiM Home app if it’s to loud and I’m in another room.

imsjry likes this.
  23. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

That’s what I like about it too. But now I’m wondering if the variable levels going into my DAC impact the overall sound. Time for some testing I suppose.

24. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Mine (Wiim mini) is set to fixed, but there are a couple levels of fixed if I remember correctly.

25. Only for the analog out.

bever70 likes this.