Updated KLH Model 5... has anyone experienced it?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ChrisR2060, Mar 23, 2021.

1. CPR267

CPR267 Well-Known Member

If you like the Rogue I strongly urge you to rethink your tube hesitation. I've had mine for about six years now and the tubes have never been a problem. I rarely need to bias them. They've been damn close to spec the handful of times I have gone in to do it. It's been easy to own and lots of fun from day one.

2. robgnyc

robgnyc Active Member

Might need to go listen to it again at the dealer.

It's also about 1.5x the price of the Denon so that's a factor but not insurmountable.

3. Andik777

Andik777 Well-Known Member

Model five + Marantz PM8006 and Lumin T2
    It sounds pretty good (for my taste) but I think I'll look for another amp later.

Paimon and timind like this.
  4. deepalma

deepalma Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    I've read through the whole thread (and some more) but I'm still troubled and I will appreciate some opinions.
    I've set my mind on KLH 5s and in about a month I will be ready to pull the trigger.

Over the years I slowly built a system that I quite like. Here's the gist of it:

Sources: R2R DAC (Musician Pegasus) + Well Tempered Lab Versalex with Hana ML and Gold Note PH10 phono stage
    Preamp: Schiit Freya+ with 4 Black Treasure CV181 (Maybe one day I'll replace it with a LTA MicroZotl/MZ3)
    Amp: Benchmark AHB2
    Speakers: Harbeth P3ESR 40th Anniversary + 2 Rel T5i subs
    Room: 10m x 3m.

I would say 80% of what I listen is instrumental jazz (all eras) and the remainder is Classic Rock, Modern Rock, Classical Music and Electronic.

I love the resolution, tonal balance and timbre reproduction of my system and also how the Harbeths manage to disappear completely sometimes.
    The reason why I want to replace the P3ESR 40th with the KLH5 is because I want a bigger scale of the presentation and better dynamics.

I know the KLH won't disappear, but beside that what else will I loose?

Lots of reviewer described the KLH as extended and neutral sounding and recommended an amp with drive and warmish sound signature.

Now I love what the Benchmark can do, but as I said it's nor warm nor cold. I think my Harbeths instead are adding some warmth that I like.

Is there here anyone that tried the KLH with the AHB2 or maybe with a similar sounding amp? (Purifi?)

Will I get bored to death?

Am I somehow downgrading my system? Do the KLH scale up with highly performant electronics?

Can someone comment on the midrange of the KLH vs the one of the P3ESR? What about the trebles? Would you call the refined?

I will try to buy the KLH new from a place that offers 4 weeks to return them so I can break them in properly.

5. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

I just heard a pair of these through the Rouge Audio integrated amplifier mentioned upthread. It was set up with a vinyl rig at a local dealer.

The KLH 5’s were fantastic in this context! It helped that the record being played- the MOFI Dark Side of the Moon, is very familiar to me, so I could make a reasonably sound judgment on what the speakers could do.

The soundstage is huge. The bass, even with a tube amp, is well defined, along with everything else.

Odd to see those cabinets without drink rings on top!

6. robgnyc

robgnyc Active Member

I've spent some time now with the Denon PMA 1700NE and I actually think it's a bit too warm and the bass is too thick.

I went back to my previous setup which is a cheap Chinese tube preamp with an XTZ Edge A2-300 class D amp and I think it's actually better sounding, more definition and more spacious. Unfortunately I passed the return period so I'm keeping the Denon. It does sound good with female vocals and on it's own it's very nice. Just in direct back to back comparison I know it could be bettered.

All that to say that I think your Freya with the Benchmark AHB2 will likely sound really good with the model 5s. You can probably cut out the subs if you like.

They KEHs are already large sounding and warm-ish on their own so I don't think you need to enhance that with a warm amp despite what many reviewers say.

Worst case, you get them and end up going with a different power amp.

7. deepalma

deepalma Well-Known Member

Thanks, robgnyc. Thanks really good to know.
    Alternatively I was thinking of getting a warmer pre, but it's not easy as It sounds to find something that checks all the boxes.

About the sub,.if the bass is really good I will probably sell at least one of the two.

8. robgnyc

robgnyc Active Member

The nice thing is you can try what you have for free and see how it goes.

You could always tube roll or change the pre but I have a feeling you won't be wanting for warmth.

If you wanted full tubes I'd go with the Rogue Chronus Magnum integrated. It sounds great with the Model 5s. I just wasn't prepared to go full tubes but I'm kinda kicking myself as it sounds so good. Very full but still quick and detailed in the bass region and very sweet in the highs.

Howevery I think the thing the Model 5s want more than anything is power. Your Benchmark AHB2 should be more than adequate in that regard.

Good luck.

deepalma likes this.
  9. waldog

waldog Well-Known Member

First post: Had the model 5's 2.5 months now so have a couple hundred hours on them. Run them in my pool room on wall mounted shelves, no stands. I turned them upside down and flipped the grills over. This puts the tweeter at ear height while standing and the woofer closer to the ceiling. Able to get them about 8" from the wall and have an acoustic panel behind each one. Toed in slightly. Started out by running them off of an Emotiva PT1 preamp and Emotiva UPA 2 amp. Had two Elemental designs 15" subs with the drivers replaced by Dayton Audio Ultimax driven by a Crown XLS 2500 amp. Had the subs EQ'ed with Mini DSP HD. In February I found a Vintage Modular Component Systems(MCS) 3275 receiver (75 watts per channel). Deoxited it up and ran it after the Emotiva preamp so I could still use the subs. Sounded fantastic. Way better than the Emotiva amp. In March I found a Vintage Marantz 2285b(85 watts per channel). Deoxited it up and it sounded fantastic. I switched the MCS back into the room and used it for 3 days. Then put the Marantz back and my wife and I both agreed we like the the Marantz the best. Probably because of the base. The MCS is very close though. (MCS was sold by JCPenny's in the late 70's early 80's. The 3275 was made by NEC in Japan. It's a pure sleeper). Now that the Model 5's are broken and because of the warmth and power of the Marantz 2285b, I discovered I do not need subs with this combo. By taking out the subs I don't have to try and integrate them. It sounds better without them. Don't use the Emotiva PT1 preamp anymore. Run Fluance RT85 to Project phono preamp and then straight to the Marantz. Wiim mini to Schitt modi dac and then to tape 1 of the Marantz. Early 2000's Denon DVD player as a transport for CD's to the Schitt and then to Tape 2 of the Marantz. I have not seen anybody else on this thread go Vintage, but for me I am loving it. Granted, I have not heard any of the amps or integrated amps everyone else is speaking highly of.

10. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Now they need to do an updated KLH Nine.

John Landreth likes this.
  11. mrkrinkle

mrkrinkle so long and thanks for all the fish

I run my 5s with the Marantz 2230 sometimes, and I really love that combo. Warm and mellow yet still energetic and fun.

12. John Wesley Harding

John Wesley Harding Well-Known Member

That's interesting, would you mind expanding on your experience? I have a 2235b that I love, currently running original Advents. I have been considering new speakers for a while, and I keep coming back to the 5's. I would like more resolution and presence, wouldn't hate an increase in soundstage either.

I keep reading that the 5's prefer more power, but if you can open them up and still have some headroom, that'd be some good news. Thanks!

13. mrkrinkle

Definitely. Knackered from a loooong day, but will post some impressions soon. (Winding down with the 2230, the 5s, and some Coltrane, and it's really good medicine.)

Fender Relic likes this.
  14. terzinator

terzinator boots lost in transit

15. mrkrinkle

Hey John, back and awake now. Is there anything in particular that you were wondering?

Just FYI, I am now using it as a pre with my A-S1200, so my most recent experiences will be colored by that chain, and I'm not a soundstage guy--I honestly just never notice it--so I couldn't speak to that.

But, generally speaking, I've found that the 2230, when directly connected to the 5s, has plenty of power to drive them, and the 5s replicate the smooth warmth of the 2230 really beautifully. The sound is full and very musical, and the 5s bring out a good amount of detail on top (though more so with the A-S1200 as a power amp, I think). The whole sound has an old school sweetness and musicality. I'm mostly an analog guy, and I've used a handful of cartridges with this chain, but recently I've tended to go to the MP-110, since it sounds old school analog to me, buttery smooth, etc. I never, ever get listening fatigue with this setup, and it makes me want to tap my foot, etc. I listen mostly to jazz and rock, btw, and both genres sound really great.

Hope that's helpful a bit!

16. mrkrinkle

Hooked up the 2230 directly to the 5s this morning. It's really such a fun combination. Sounds really great, warm, and lively with the Sumiko Olympia and the native phono stage.

Bananas&blow and Clonesteak like this.
  17. John Wesley Harding

I really appreciate the replies. I will probably try them from a distributor that allows returns. I rarely push my Advents past 10-11 o'clock, so they would prob work well. I don't really want the modern tall towers, so options are limited.

18. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Funny, we both use 2235b's with our Advents. I've had them paired up with a 2252b before and they worked well together. I can't recall if I've tried the Advents with the 2230.

19. John Wesley Harding

They really do pair well, good synergy there. I have a great used audio (mid-fi-ish?) shop in the area, and one of the techs suggested I find some Advents to use with the Marantz. I found a great set on FB for like $175, and turned out they had been refoamed and cleaned up by that same shop previously.

I had found them a bit harsh on the highs, and thought they exaggerated sibilance and IGD with my Music Hall / MP-110 combo. I recently upgraded to a P6, and none of that is present. Judged them unfairly it seems, and I've been impressed often by the presentation from a better source. In no hurry to retire them, but that upgrade itch continues.

P.S. Is that a Vibroverb?!

Fender Relic likes this.
  20. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Yes, a 90's reissue Vibroverb that I've parted with although it served me well for many years.

21. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

world permiere of the new model 7 last Friday at AXPONA. very very nice sound.

22. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

New 7 looks nice, but a Nine would be a very different animal.

[​IMG]

avanti1960 likes this.
  23. terzinator

terzinator boots lost in transit

Oooh i bet they're great.

[​IMG]

avanti1960 and Bananas&blow like this.
  24. Oscillation

Oscillation Maybe it was the doses?

The only thing stopping me from purchasing the KLH5’s right now is looking at those beautiful grills and thinking about my cat.

mrkrinkle likes this.
  25. ktg807

ktg807 Forum Resident

I have two cats and they don't really touch them surprisingly! I think maybe because the grills are paper-thin and nothing to really sink their claws into. My listening chair on the other hand...