Upgrade Blu-Ray player??

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Kamaaina1, Feb 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samsung has just announced they are exiting the 4K UHD player business. That is one less manufacturer, a big one.

2. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Wow... surprising news. They were stalwarts in the middle end market to most consumers who didn't care much about the audio aspect.... the 8500 had a large share of the market of the masses going to 4K televisions for the last few years!

3. It doesn't speak well for the health of UHD as a viable market. Samsung did make a bad choice refusing to sign up for Dolby Vision.

4. TheVinylAddict

It's hard to fathom the UHD market as NOT being viable... then again, I haven't moved off my 2012 version of the Panasonic VT60 65" 1080p plasma!!!! In fact, of the four sets in my house currently - all four are still plasma --- two of them 2003 versions of Sony's initial tanks they overbuilt, and the other two are 2012 Panasonic plasma's in 55 and 65 inches. Those 2003 Sony plasmas STILL throw up a helluva picture! :)

I often wonder how many are like me? I would think most have a 4k / UHD set up at this point?

5. Woods83

Woods83 New Member

Oppo 980H is a great cheap used digital transport/universal player if that's all you need. It will even transport DSD over HDMI into your receiver if the one you have accepts it. I don't really know if there's an actual difference in sound vs. PCM (some people say they like the PCM sound better), but it's a cool and cheap unit to get and play with. I just bought a used Denon 2900 and Pioneer DV 79avi, both older universal players that retailed for $1,000+ for next to nothing to play around with and see if it was an upgrade, but I honestly can't tell a difference between those players and the DAC in my integrated stereo amp (with the exception of being able to use the treble/bass/balance/loudness dials on the top plate). I'd love to get my hands on a Denon 5910 to see if that sounds any different. I've also tried running the universal players through a $100 external DAC (Topping D30) which is highly regarded in its price range to play around with. Is there a difference in sound to my ears? ..I just don't know.

6. Woods83

Woods83 New Member

I'm scared to move from plasma to OLED. I hear some people that move from Plasma to OLEDS notice motion blur ..plasmas just make me happy, but I think I'm about to take the plunge!!! ..unless you want to sell me your 65" ..wish I grabbed one that size before they stopped selling them.

7. David M.

David M. Well-Known Member

I’ve owned a number of Samsung TVs and monitors over the years, but my next TV will be an LG or Sony due to Dolby Vision support.

8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I feel the same! I have a Panasonic TX-P50GT60 60" plasma and the PQ is great. I'm waiting for premium OLED sets in the 65" to 70" size to come down in price. Would really like to get one from Panasonic but the prices are too steep. But perhaps LG OLED would be the better choice. Not really up on who makes the best OLED displays.

9. David M.

If you haven’t already done so, you may wish to consider the Oppo BDP95. It’s the former “it” combo player and Stereophile Class A component, and auctions routinely settle under $600 for 1-owner units with all original content. Hard to beat that. I have a BDP93 that has always exclusively resided in a TV system, but it’s in the queue to be tested as both a standalone player and a transport (Schiit Bifrost Uber) in my 2-ch system when I’m finally unlazy enough to make the effort. The 95 and 93 are totally different animals, though, and if I wasn’t waiting to see what Schiit does with their first transport, I’d buy a 95 in a heartbeat as a potential “last upgrade”.

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The Oppo 95 is a great suggestion. Had one in my system for awhile and it's an excellent player. So Schiit is going to be offering a transport. CD playback only? Interesting.

David M. likes this.
  11. David M.

Same here. Have an ST-series 65” plasma. Not enough 4K content yet for me to make that move, especially since I’ve cut WAY back on TV in favor of listening to more music. My life has been better for it, and the Panasonic hardly feels like settling in the meantime.

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  12. David M.

They’re hinting. Have you seen this video?

13. TheVinylAddict

Tell me about it!!!! :) I wished I'd woulda grabbed two myself, and stored one away!! Well, actually three, because I did end up getting a 55" Panny too for the other HT for the wife and sons' shortly after buying the 65" and liking it so much. I spent a lot of time going back and forth between the Panny and Samsung plasmas back then then.... I am glad I went for the Panny.

I can't speak for OLED, as when I was last in the market in 2012 when I bought my 65" VT60 Panny, the OLED's were too expensive!!! But back then - before I bought the Panny, I tried an LED, even the higher priced ones - and at that time, I couldn't find one that satisfied me, especially on sporting events with the digitzing, etc. I have been very pleased with my VT60 plasma.... I am sure it won't be long until one of my 2003 Sony plasmas gives up the ghost, and I will be in the market again....

OP --- sorry for the sidetrack!

David M. likes this.
  14. Woods83

Woods83 New Member

I'm going to go for an 2017 LG c7 or b7 (same tv just different bezel and the b7 is usually cheaper) or the 2018 c8 model. Those seem to be the best bang for your buck in the OLED world from what I'm reading. There's a guy on youtube, his channel is 'HDTVTest' ..he does the most in depth TV reviews I have ever seen. It's great.

Bill Mac and TheVinylAddict like this.
  15. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

If you are connecting the player to a surround receiver via HDMI then it is the receiver that is going to matter the most as far as sound quality. You also won’t hear SACD if your receiver can’t handle DSD over HDMI.

16. TheVinylAddict

I get the feeling the OP is strongly considering his options right now --- including his AVR. I had a PM exchange with him last night, and he is starting to understand more about the DAC and why his AVR is currently the limiter....

.... but let's see where his head is at now after sleeping on it.

17. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I purchased the last generation Samsung plasma. Very happy with it.

18. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Are their players any good? Might be time to bargain hunt.

19. TheVinylAddict

It's a great TV, hope you didn't read my post as slamming the Samsung --- it was a tough choice.

20. TheVinylAddict

I own an UBD-8500 --- this was a stalwart in the market for a long time... for the price drops at around $150 it is / was a very worthy player IMHO.

21. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Not at all. It was a Coke or Pepsi decision. If I recall Panasonic exited the plasma market first, which may have affected my decision.

22. TheVinylAddict

Well put. I labored for days on the decision. I chose Chevy! :) (coming from a guy who owns two Chevy's and two Fords)

23. Woods83

Woods83 New Member

Can any of you guy relate to me - non of my friends have plasmas or have ever owned one. They go out and buy new 4k LCDs and think they're the shiz, I'm ultimately not impressed at all, and they make fun of me because they say plasma is old tech and there's a reason they don't sell them anymore etc. ..they just don't understand (sigh).

24. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I do have a couple of 4K's and they're nice, but don't compare to the plasma. If your friends are also earbud wearers it might explain a lot about their tastes (but not the friendships).

25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

No I haven't seen that video. Any idea of the time in the video where Schiit discusses releasing a disc player?
    If you set your player to PCM for SACD audio output then a non DSD capable AVR will be able to process the audio via HDMI. I'm not sure if every SACD player has the DSD/PCM setting option but Oppo players do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.