Upgrade from Clearaudio Concept Wood 'table - SL-1200G, Ovation, vintage TD124, other?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by snorker, May 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snorker

snorker Big Daddy Thread Starter

I've been itching for a new turntable for some time. Not that the Concept Wood has any particular problem, but I've been wanting to move upstream a bit.

I've been generally pretty impressed with Clearaudio's products, so I'm considering their Ovation model. They've got a few tonearm options, but for some reason I'm a bit leery of the magnetic bearing arms.

As another option, one local dealer has some very nice restored Thorens TD124 'tables, as well as Garrard 301s. The Thorens are bit more reasonably priced though. I believe they have an Ortofon tonearm with a removable headshell.

Finally, I've been considering the Technics SL-1200G for some time. I like that the speed stability it offers, and the construction and quality appear first-rate. It would also be nice to have all the adjustments that tonearm offers, as well as the other bells and whistles like the timing light, etc. Again, I like the idea of the removable headshell so I could swap out cartridges more easily.

I'll probably keep the Concept MC cartridge to start, but I'll also eventually move up in that department. Maybe an Ortofon Cadenza Bronze or Black, or a Clearaudio Talisman V2. Haven't quite decided on that either!

I'd appreciate any input from the forum. Thanks!

2. snorker

Nobody has an opinion on this? On this forum? I am shocked. And stunned. :laugh:

Aftermath likes this.
  3. Clay B

Clay B Forum Resident

When somebody has identified three superb choices it's difficult to offer advice. I have a Technics GAE and it sounds great, is beautifully built, and is a joy to use. I have also seen and heard restored 301s and 124s and, in additon to lovely sound, they have that hewn from steel billet vintage look. There is no wrong answer here just very tough choices. And honestly, in the end I don't think anyone can help you make a tough decision like this. Well, now that I think about it maybe I can. How about a G as your day to day and one of the vintage for special occasions. Now that's the audiophile solution.

Have fun.

Benzion and snorker like this.
  4. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

I like the ClearAudio tables and arms. I particularly like their conventional bearing tonearm (not the linear tracker). I heard that arm on one of their big tables and the combination sounded pretty good. The sound is on the well-damped side, so some might call it "dead" sounding, but, I liked it. I was particular struck by how unobtrusive ticks and pops sound with such well damped tables (the sound is similar to my Basis Debut/Vector arm setup).

The Garrard 301 and Thorens 124 with something like the top end Ortofon arm is a different kind of sound. It is a punchier, lively sound that is also quite appealing. The downside is that noise, including record imperfections, are a bit more noticeable. Both tables, their age notwithstanding, warrant consideration for even the best systems.

RONENRAY and snorker like this.
  5. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

I have a Thorens TD-124 that's been entirely restored along with some upgrades. It has a Schick 9 tonearm on it with a Kiseki Blue NS cartridge. It produces a wonderful full bodied sound that has been my favorite of all the turntables I've owned (Rega P5, Rega P9, Linn LP12, and Well Tempered Amadeus GTA). The one caveat is that you need to be prepared to do maintenance on it once in a while and it would help to familiarize yourself with the inner workings of the table. There is also the warm up time with regard to getting the motor nice and settled before doing some critical listening. If you can handle that, you're in for a treat.

That said, I've been more and more interested in the Technics SL-1200G, as I see it as a much more plug and play option. The one thing that's holding me back is the report from some owners that it's a more bright sound than an idler or belt drive would give you. Whether or not that's dependent on the rest of your equipment, I don't know for sure. I really wish I could demo one in my own system before purchasing.

snorker likes this.
  6. snorker

Thanks all, that actually is very helpful. As I'm writing this I'm listening to Steve and Kevin Gray's mastering of Sonny Rollins' Saxophone Colossus on my Concept Wood trying to imagine how this can even sound any better. I'm sure there are better, but this Concept Wood is really a very nice package for the money! If only I could leave well enough alone...;)

I've heard the SL-1200G, but only in an all-Technics system, so I have no idea how it will sound with Harbeths and an MC275. I must say the Technics did really shine in the comparison Michael Fremer posted with his Continuum Caliburn.

I really love the look of the vintage 'tables, but I'm not so sure maintenance and warm-up time is what I need right now. I've got young kids, so it's already tough getting time to just sit down and listen in peace. :laugh:

The Ovation is a really nice 'table (and looks great) though the cost does get up there when adding their Universal tonearm, for example. Also, it would be nice to have a removable headshell. I suppose I wouldn't necessarily have to use a Clearaudio tonearm...

7. paddycook

paddycook Senior Member

Just pulled the trigger an an Ovation w/ Satisfy tonearm - like you upgrading from a Concept that I've been very happy with. However, will be sticking with MM (maestro V2). Will be arriving on Friday. Also considered an RP10 but it's too bright after the Clearaudio tables.

8. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

You could have a look at the upper Project range. I use the Xtension 9 with Ortofon Quintet Black cart into the Phono Box RS, and it's as good as I need - rock solid, super detailed etc, and I've had a number of Thorens (all great decks) including the somewhat flawed TD124/II, Garrards, Linns and Regas.

Pro-Ject Audio Systems

snorker likes this.
  9. snorker

Nice! I've got the aluminum Satisfy arm on mine. How does the Ovation compare with the Concept in your opinion?

10. paddycook

paddycook Senior Member

Still waiting for it to be delivered :) It's coming on Friday. Will post back with impressions.

11. snorker

Thanks, I'll be interested in your impressions. One thing I like about the Ovation is it has the optical speed control and other features found on the Innovation series, but it's in a more traditional-looking plinth.

12. snorker

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  13. cadeallaw

cadeallaw Forum Resident

Have you considered looking into:
    Michell Orbe SE
    Pear Audio
    Acoustic Signiture
    Oracle, or
    VPI has several offerings that a lot of people rave about on these forums...

Cyclone Ranger and snorker like this.
  14. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Ok, I'll butt in. I'd go the new Technics TT or the Orbe SE. Problem is, how do you find out which one sounds best to your ears, prior to choosing??

snorker likes this.
  15. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Contact Dave at Vinyl Nirvana.

Tim Irvine and Rolltide like this.
  16. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I suggest you look at the Fremer comparisons with his Caliburn to get some idea about the 1200G sound. It does sound brighter but not unduly so. The Caliburn interestingly is closer to my Orbe in tone / balance. He did try alternate mats which may enable you to tune the sound. All in all for £3K it is surprisingly close as is my Orbe considering the price gap.

17. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I went from a Concept w/Concept MC cartridge to a VPI Classic 1 and it was a pretty significant upgrade.

The Garrard 301 I have now didn't come cheap, but it did come with the assurance it's my end game turntable, no doubt about it.

18. Classicrock

Buy both ! Actually I might consider this if I find an SL1200G at a good discount.

19. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

I like the 124 and 301 but not as my only table. While I like their punchy, solid sound, my high-mass belt drive (Galibier Gavia) has a much lower noise floor which reveals more musical details. In my opinion, the idlers sound like good vintage Hifi whereas the Galibier sounds like real musical instruments.

20. snorker

I did download the high res files and listen both to this comparison and the earlier one he posted with the percussion track. I found the percussion track sounded better on the Technics, though he said the pressing was flawed and it was exacerbated by the Caliburn's vacuum hold-down. On this vocal track I thought the Caliburn sounded a bit better, but it was very close and had me going back and forth between the two files a number of times. I saw in his review of the SL-1200G he tried different mats and headshells that he preferred, but I think in the shoot-out he was using the stock rubber mat and Technics headshell.The SL-1200G really delivers a lot for the money.

One concern I had was that I'm not a huge fan of the silver DJ 'table look, though KAB used to sell a really nice drop-in cabinet for the old SL-1200 that might work with the new one. He's still got the plans on his site.
    [​IMG]
    Gives it a nice vintage look. It's too bad the SL-1200G doesn't come in black, as I prefer it with the wood cabinet. My setup is a bit heavy on the wood look, so a nice rosewood cabinet would look pretty cool:

[​IMG]

Tommyboy and cadeallaw like this.
  21. Classicrock

Technics are doing the cheaper GR in black so surprised a black finish G has not appeared.

22. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Sharp looking!

snorker likes this.
  23. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I bought one of those bread boxes from KAB - I placed my M5G in it - and my wife was - "hey what is that?" (I was hoping should wouldn't notice) I'm like - uhhh it is a wood frame for the turntable - she was like - "does it do anything?" I'm like ummm nooo - it just looks cool.

Kevin was great and took it back.

Hhahaa.

keiron99, snorker and googlymoogly like this.
  24. snorker

Yeah, me too. Maybe that's to further differentiate them? Of course the silver ones look nearly identical....

25. cadeallaw

cadeallaw Forum Resident

If aesthetics is a concern, how cool does this look, tho
    [​IMG]

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.