Upgrade or save more?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by CMT, Jun 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CMT

CMT Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, that goes without saying. The easiest thing to do would be to do nothing, but the idea is to achieve an upgrade in sound quality.

The Pinhead likes this.
  2. CMT

"Popular" isn't especially a selling point for me. Quality and affordability is more what I'm looking for, but I'm willing to spend a little more if what I'm buying is more quality.

3. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Here for the chuckles.

Yep,strangely cartridges seem to be even more divisive than speakers among audiophiles.

CMT likes this.
  4. Glmoneydawg

If you are enjoying your music and don't have a particular problem area to solve...perhaps your setup is good enough.Relax and enjoy your music:)

5. CMT

Well, I am enjoying my music, but I've come to the conclusion that a better phono pre-amp would allow me to enjoy it even more, so looking for input on that idea.

6. Glmoneydawg

Then my 2 cents would be a Graham Slee product...they have a loaner program in a lot of places.

patient_ot and CMT like this.
  7. CMT

Thanks. I like the look of the Accession phono stage from Graham Slee. Never heard of him before, but I like what I see on the website. It's within budget, it is an MM stage only, so not spending money on a MC stage I don't necessarily need, and it's physically small.

Anyone else have any opinions about the Graham Slee Accession?

8. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

I think the Nagaoka MP-300 would be a good upgrade. In my opinion it sounds more engaging than the MP-500, even if the MP-500 is more detailed. You should take a look at some of SoundSmith's cartridges. Their higher end stuff is incredible.

9. CMT

The more I read about this Graham Slee Accession MM, the more I like the idea. :) I'm sorely tempted to get out the credit card and just go for it, but I'll try to restrain myself. Still interested in opinions.

10. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

My suggestion: save up another thousand samolians.
    From the discusssion so far, your upgraditis is getting the better of you.
    Gather the means to do it more successfully.
    With all due respect.

RobCos02330, FJRodriguez and CMT like this.
  11. CMT

OK, let's say I have $2,000 rather than $1,000. What would you recommend? Most of the phono stages I'm considering are right in the middle of that range. I can spend up to $2,000.

12. Cherrycherry

IMHO,
    You have a decent system, which you like and you havent had much longer than a year. It doesnt make sense to replace fairly new gear, but augment what you can.
    Knowing that, and you have $1-2K to spend, I would look at the Parasound Halo JC3 jr and either a new cart with it, or no new cartridge but a new CD transport.
    I understand that you like the Pioneer PD-HS7, but you arent even listening to it. You are listening to the Burr-Brown PCM1792a 24-bit/192kHz DAC chip with NE5532 dual op-amp filters inside of the RR2160.
    So, I would suggest getting a CD transport, like Audio Labs 6000, maybe.

I would also, be buying anything onsale, as best that I could.

13. CMT

Yes, I realize that at the moment I'm using the DAC in the Outlaw Audio amp, but the Pioneer DAC sounds very good, too. I'm mostly thinking about the analog end of things at the moment. So, setting aside the CD side of things, I'm looking for feedback on the phono stages I've mentioned. Sounds like you like the Parasound JC3 jr. Can you comment on it in relation to the Rega Aria or the Slee Accession?

14. Cherrycherry

I stepped in here unaware you were focused directly on phono stage.
    I havent heard many different phono stages, so I wont comment further.

CMT likes this.
  15. CMT

I wasn't focused on a phono stage at first. I'm inclining that way based on the conversation here.

16. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

There's a pretty killer deal on a Creek OBH in the Classifieds, here. Or, at least there was a couple days back... And from a trusted seller as well.

I would also look around for a good deal on a PS Audio GCPH. Great units for around $500 on the used market.

17. CMT

Well, I've made my decision. Today ordered the Graham Slee Accession MM phono stage with the upgraded power source. By ordering directly from the maker and using the Graham Slee Forum discount, the total came to $1,240, which is below the retail price, so I'm very pleased. Look forward to hearing this device, but, based on the reviews I've read and talking directly with the maker, I'm pretty confident I will love it. Thanks to all here for your advice.

No plans to do anything further in the near future, but my next upgrade will probably be a good DAC--unless it would make more sense to spend the same money (a good DAC costs about $2,000 maybe?) on a new amplifier with a good built-in DAC? I don't know. I rather like the versatility and the sound of my Outlaw Audio rr2160 and it's still under warranty. Wouldn't have a clue what to replace it with. My next upgrade question??

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    patient_ot and Glmoneydawg like this.
  18. CMT

Thanks very much for this suggestion. I wasn't aware of the Graham Sleep products until you mentioned them here. The Accession looks like just what I was looking for.

patient_ot and Glmoneydawg like this.
  19. Glmoneydawg

All the Slee products punch well above thier weight...congrats bud:)

CMT likes this.
  20. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I think you are correct about $4k for the speakers. But you might be surprised about the subwoofer. Recently added an SVS SB-3000 to a Focal Aria 936/CC900/SR900 setup. That 5.1 didn't need a subwoofer-but the SVS really firms up the low end, it is just SO much nicer. And yes, with classical music too...let's see, Mahler's 8th, jeez it was just last week, my brain is fragmenting. I can remember the disc covers but not the contents, argh. Handel's Water Music conducted by Trevor Pinnock with The English Concert. And...goodness one of the most famous Mozart pieces. Too hot today to think! But I do recall the bass playing on a Diana Krall disc really came out.

It's not a matter of more volume, it's just more solidity I guess. And your Outlaw has exceptionally flexible bass management!

CMT likes this.
  21. CMT

Yes, everyone says that about the Outlaw rr2160--about how good its bass management is, and, maybe some day I will consider a subwoofer again, but I've made my decision to get a phono stage. I've just ordered the Graham Slee Accession MM phono stage. I think that will do me for upgrades for a while. :) But, thanks for your input.

22. CMT

Damn autcorrect--keeps changing Slee into "sleep".

23. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Ha ha! Yes, thus you get Chvrches spelling the band name funny to make searches easier. I wonder if any companies change their name so AutoCorrupt doesn't change it...
    Enjoy the phono stage! I don't believe electronics tend to sound so different (not the same, but not vast differences). Phono stages seem and exception for some reason...maybe the interaction with their loading and the physical cartridge system.

24. raindog69

raindog69 Forum Resident

Let us know how you like it!

CMT likes this.
  25. CMT

I will. But each unit is a custom build (estimate two weeks) and then it will take about three weeks to get here from England, so I'm not expecting it before about August 15. I will report, back, though.

Thanks again for all the input from everyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.