Upgrade Suggestions - Amplifier or Speakers?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by gastonman, Oct 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gastonman

gastonman Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Update. Suggestions needed.

I was offered a Canton Chrono 509.2 DC for a good price, at least here in my country. (1000 usd the pair).
    Have in mind that I do not have access to a huge variety of speakers. In fact, I do, but for 3 or 4 times the real price due to the custom fees and shipping. To give you an idea I can get a
    Klipsch RP-8000F for 2000 usd and the recommended Polk audio Lsim 705 for 4500 usd.

Will be a good improvement the Canton over the Infinity? Does it worth the investment and will I notice the difference? If the improvement is not going to be that good and I will need to plan on replacing the speakers next year or so, I think I would pass.

There are no chances to demo’en before buying.

Thanks in advance! I really appreciate your help!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  2. gastonman

I would like to have your opinion on my last update if possible. Thanks!

The Pinhead likes this.
  3. gastonman

I would like to have your opinion on my last update if possible. Thanks!

4. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

I don't personally know that much about Canton, I do see the particular model you referenced on Ebay at $1,298.16 per pair, I have no idea what they cost in Argentina. I can speak to the price of $4,500.00 for a pair of Polk LSiM 705 speakers, that is so terribly inflated. They can be bought here for about $1,600.00 a pair.

gastonman and SandAndGlass like this.
  5. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I can't offer any advise on the Canton's either, never had any experience with them.

The problem is that your prices are way to expensive to be worthwhile.

gastonman and The Pinhead like this.
  6. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

It's not really inflated so much as it is unadjusted. The original retail here was closer to $3K, so after international shipping and import fees I wouldn't be surprised if that's what they've always costed down there.

As for Canton, I haven't heard any myself but a friend of mine picked up a set of their bookshelf speakers for his second system and he has been very happy with them.

gastonman likes this.
  7. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

gastonman likes this.
  8. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Hard to say without auditioning. If I were you, I'd keep the Infinitys (which are good speakers; not my cuppa, but good speakers) till I could afford a real upgrade, preferrably one you could audition first. A look at the specs of the Cantons didn't suggest anything of an upgrade over the Infinitys.

9. The Pinhead

Yes absolutely. We don't get those deep Polk discounts you get (or any discount BTW) down here. A Yamaha CDS300 CDP retails for 900 bucks : 3 times the retail US price. And the american dollar doubled its price in pesos during the pandemic, with no increase in salaries whatsoever.

SandAndGlass and gastonman like this.
  10. gastonman

Thank you all.

Summary for @Slippers-on to see if he can give me hand.

I am looking to upgrade the speakers. I live in Argentina and I do not have access to a huge amount of speakers, and most of the prices are really inflated. I get the opportunity to change (upgrade?) my speakers to a Canton Chrono 509.2 DC (1000 USD/pair). My current speakers are Infinity Primus p363. I would like to know if you know if this upgrade worth it, or if I should hold until I can afford a better one.

Thanks in advance.

11. gastonman

Yes, I think this is a wise suggestion. Not easy to get a demo here in my city, but maybe I will need to hold the upgrade until I can travel and audition them. As you may know there are situations here in Argentina that we cannot let pass because prices are relatively low or maybe because this products might not be easily imported in a future due to our country economy situation.

The Pinhead likes this.
  12. The Pinhead

Man do I understand ! You have PM:cheers:

SandAndGlass and gastonman like this.
  13. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Hi. The Chron 509.2 DC are great speakers. They are German speakers and follow the typical German type of voicing....Transparent, clear and high resolution. You need to have quality components as well due to the high resolution and transparency of Canton. You will have an outstanding sound stage. Voices will be really clear.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    The Pinhead and gastonman like this.
  14. gastonman

Thank you Sir. So everything indicates that the Chrono 509.2 DC are going to be an upgrade to my speakers. My actual setup is Yamaha A-S301, Thorens TD-160 (Denon DL-110) and a pro-ject phono box, plus pretty good cables and connectors for the whole setup. Could it be enough or could they fell short of quality?

The Pinhead likes this.
  15. The Pinhead

What I thought from what I read; analytical, and maybe on the bright side for someone, not unlike Klipsch:righton:

16. Slippers-on

Totally different from klipsch.

17. Slippers-on

I have the Vento series and nothing bright. When you think German speakers, think accurate.

18. Slippers-on

I see you have Klipsch. I have a pair of Klipsch towers in my home theater. Totally different sounding speaker from German speakers.

The Pinhead likes this.
  19. Slippers-on

gastonman and The Pinhead like this.
  20. The Pinhead

gastonman likes this.
  21. Slippers-on

Cantons do require quality power. IF he has a good quality amp at least 80wpc he will be good.

displayname likes this.
  22. gastonman

As per what I read and research, there are no doubts that this Canton will smash the Infinitys, in every way (sound and build quality).
    Now, two personal things I need to evaluate are sound and price. Price is out of discussion because I need to evaluate my budget and prices seems to be really different than the US and EU ones. Sound is personal, I will need to demo those towers before buying, I never heard a TOO accurate and transparent speaker. I didn´t even know what than means when you initially mentioned it. (This is my first rig and I am trying to do my first upgrade). But after reading the link you provided I was able to understand it. Thanks.

I have a Yamaha AS-301 which specs are:
    Minimum RMS Output Power (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz): 60 W + 60 W (0.019% THD)
    Maximum Power (4 ohms, 1kHz, 0.7% THD, for Europe): 95 W + 95 W
    High Dynamic Power/Channel (8/6/4/2 ohms): 100/120/140/150 W
    More info here: A-S301 - Specs - Yamaha - Other European Countries

@Slippers-on Could this Yamaha drive those Canton? At least for some time until I can upgrade it as well?

Thanks much!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  23. Slippers-on

I think you will be fine.

The Pinhead and gastonman like this.
  24. The Pinhead

It certainly looks that way on paper, but they are 5 db less sensitive than the Infinities; a big no-no for me but not for a guy who never cranks them.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  25. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Ok, give us some input, what did you finally purchase?:winkgrin:

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.