“Upgrade” you regret

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by VapourTrailUS, May 1, 2021.

1. Helom

Helom Forum member

Brand new reversed-engineered springs.

2. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

From Schopper?

3. Helom

Helom Forum member

PM

4. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Apple software update... :sigh:
    -Bill

Rodant Kapoor, hi_watt, WvL and 4 others like this.
  5. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

I thought getting the Audio Technica VM95ML in my signal chain was a really bad choice until I was educated about the importance of capacitance in the phono stage. Turns out the 470pf in the phono stage of the Yamaha A-S801 is WAY too much for a cartridge spec'd for 100-200pf. Now I know, and now I understand why it's such a popular cartridge. It sounds excellent when you set it up right.

6. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Rogue Audio RP-7 preamp. Billed as super transparent but paled in comparison to the half priced RH-5 headphone amp / linestage.

hi_watt, Rich-n-Roll and grbluen like this.
  7. Nakamichi

Nakamichi The iceage is coming....

Getting back into vinyl.
    I fell for the hype and a 30 year absence made me forget all the drawbacks which I am now stuck with.
    Not that I consider it an upgrade.

hi_watt, Jim N., Rich-n-Roll and 5 others like this.
  8. Tourswede

Tourswede Forum Resident

I’m sure I have some somewhere on a different drive. Was years ago. Not sure I’m string enough to face it again:)

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  9. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

Actually many years ago moving from a Pioneer DV-565A to a Denon DVD-2800 mkII. Like others I believed press hype (I was young).

I actually now have both (I bought the Pioneer 'back' years later out of guilt) and I really did underestimate just how good the Pioneer was. It plays everything well, even my self-authored DVD-A discs. I paid $10 for it off eBay!

Actually, funnily enough, I tried to switch the Denon on today to see if I could use it as a transport for some headphone listening, and the drive mechanism is shot so the disc drawer won't open!

The Pioneer still runs beautifully...

bhazen likes this.
  10. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I've had mine for many years now and it's what runs my LR system (Technics SL-QL1, Marantz CD6004, iPad Mini2 plugged into CD6004, and NHT SuperOne 2.1 speakers). From bottom to top, IMO, Marantz makes the best affordable integrated amps out there (neck and neck with Yamaha's range).

11. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

The problem is too many people believe what they read online. I've never stopped with vinyl but it's mostly because I've had my LP collection for 50+ years. Vinyl simply isn't better than well-recorded CDs. I'm not sure it's better even when one has spent a fortune in their vinyl system. Yours is not an uncommon realization. For those of us who didn't sell everything to jump into CDs, we've had the best of it all IMO.

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  12. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

You need a very expensive CD player to equal vinyl. But, you need an expensive TT too. Some vintage TT can be a good deal though for less than a great CD player cost. CD is quieter, but I cannot hear anything quieter than -65dB. You need new vinyl to get to -65dB.

13. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

What you're saying is you need this. I would guess 95% or more of people who are music listeners do not.

14. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

You are right 95% do not need it, but you stated CD as good as vinyl. An inexpensive CD player will not equal the sound quality of vinyl. Do not use anything less than VM95ML or VM540ML cartridge either. Mediocre cartridges are everywhere.

15. shug4476

I have struggled to build a digital front end that can match my modest Rega turntable for musical involvement.

Slimpickens and audiolistener like this.
  16. caracallac

caracallac Forum Resident

I moved from a Thorens TD-125 to a Technics SL-1210 mkii. Both were excellent turntables, but overall the move was not an upgrade.

Panama Hotel likes this.
  17. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

OK. On the other hand, I've never had such a struggle. I find the CDs I own equally engaging musically, often more so. That said, I like playing records due to my more than half century with them and enjoying the process/routine that I've used since my teen years with many of these very same albums. Haven't bought a new LP since the 80's.

shug4476 likes this.
  18. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

BTW- csgreene, your 8004 Marantz is a $2K CD player.

19. shug4476

I go the other way - listen digitally and if I really enjoy an album, I buy the LP!

20. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I bought a 3-pack of green Sharpies at Staples the other day...and I cut my finger getting them out of the plastic blister pack. :mudscrying:

In hindsight, maybe I shoulda just laid out the $700 for the DAC. :shrug:

21. shug4476

22. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

I haven’t had an upgrade that I regretted but...

I do regret buying entry-level stuff just to save money. I should have just purchased what I wanted in the first place - this happened with a turntable cartridge, DAC, and headphone amp.

Verve888, LitHum05, popol_vuh and 5 others like this.
  23. VapourTrailUS

VapourTrailUS Internet “Person” Thread Starter

This is a good lesson. And it's one I've had to teach myself over and over. Though there is something to be said for buying entry level while you figure out what agrees with your tastes.

24. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

On the bright side, I liked the entry-level stuff and the DAC and headphone amp are still working hard in a second system. The cartridge - Ortofon 2M Red - was a mistake! So, not a bad outcome, I guess?

25. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

What made you think you had to get rid of your turntable?